Composers on GMG - Who's currently hot....and who's not?

Started by Brahmsian, April 25, 2011, 07:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

Rued Langgaard SUCKS

(awaits listening thread entries)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Scarpia

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on April 26, 2011, 10:37:36 AM
Rued Langgaard SUCKS

(awaits listening thread entries)

Rued Langgaard is AWESOME.

(that should cancel out the previous post).

Note to self:  google Langgaard.

karlhenning

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 26, 2011, 07:55:37 AM
Koechlin wasn't on the fringes of anything my friend.

Koechlin's large output is little-known, little-performed, and little-recorded. Like him if you like, but he's about as fringey as it gets.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

karlhenning

Scarpia

Quote from: Apollon on April 26, 2011, 11:14:04 AM
If Koechlin isn't on the fringe . . . who is? : )

Well, if you consider yourself the center of the universe, you could say Koechlin is central and Mozart is at the fringe.   0:)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Apollon on April 26, 2011, 11:14:04 AM
If Koechlin isn't on the fringe . . . who is? : )

I just think that labeling a composer as being on the fringe is derogatory. If Sid doesn't like him, that's fine, that is his prerogative, but don't cast out composers with who have followed their muses in order to free themselves from the "mainstream." There are hundreds of composers that have been neglected for whatever reasons. I'm completely okay with the fact that Koechlin wasn't "hip." Hell, I'm not "hip" either, but this doesn't make my voice any less important. I admire composers who forged their own paths. All of the great composers have done this whether they were popular or not. Again, as I have said many times, music is not a competition.

Cato

Okay, I saw the topic and the first two composers who came to mind were:

Karl Henning and Luke Ottevanger!

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Scarpia

The fact that he was "on the fringe" is an empirical fact, not a denigration.  It doesn't exclude the possibility that he wrote fine music, but it takes into account the reality that his music is not well known and was not particularly influential.

karlhenning

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 26, 2011, 12:36:55 PM
I just think that labeling a composer as being on the fringe is derogatory. If Sid doesn't like him, that's fine, that is his prerogative, but don't cast out composers with who have followed their muses in order to free themselves from the "mainstream." There are hundreds of composers that have been neglected for whatever reasons. I'm completely okay with the fact that Koechlin wasn't "hip." Hell, I'm not "hip" either, but this doesn't make my voice any less important. I admire composers who forged their own paths. All of the great composers have done this whether they were popular or not. Again, as I have said many times, music is not a competition.

Well, the fringe is not necessarily derogatory; and even if someone means it for derogatory, pfftLanggaard is fringe, and I love his music.

I just avoid the sort of hyperbole that gets one into trouble, like claiming that Elgar is a greater symphonist than Beethoven.

Quote from: Cato on April 26, 2011, 12:42:40 PM

!!!

Luke

Quote from: Cato on April 26, 2011, 12:42:40 PM

What, Karl's hot and I'm not? Not sure how to take that, Cato... I mean, we've never even met   ;D  ;D

karlhenning

Hah!  The same thought occurred to me, Luke!  (I mean, that this misconstruction could be teased out of Cato's post.)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on April 26, 2011, 12:43:37 PM
The fact that he was "on the fringe" is an empirical fact, not a denigration.  It doesn't exclude the possibility that he wrote fine music, but it takes into account the reality that his music is not well known and was not particularly influential.

Let's talk about influence and how unimportant it is when it comes to the actual music and what we hear as listeners. ::) Vivalid was nearly a forgotten figure in classical music, but his revival has been almost overwhelming. Mahler was a next-to-nobody until the 50s and 60s. Bruckner was pretty much in the same boat. So, I think there's several holes in your argument.

Scarpia

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 26, 2011, 12:53:24 PM
Let's talk about influence and how unimportant it is when it comes to the actual music and what we hear as listeners. ::) Vivalid was nearly a forgotten figure in classical music, but his revival has been almost overwhelming. Mahler was a next-to-nobody until the 50s and 60s when . Bruckner was pretty much in the same boat. So, I think there's several holes in your argument.

I did not make any argument, only an observation.     

karlhenning

Vivaldi was arguably an influence upon Bach.  And Mahler inspired composers as unlike one another as Schoenberg and Shostakovich.

Scarpia

Quote from: Apollon on April 26, 2011, 12:58:12 PM
Vivaldi was arguably an influence upon Bach.  And Mahler inspired composers as unlike one another as Schoenberg and Shostakovich.

Not just arguably, Bach studied Vivaldi concerti, although he made the form his own. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: Apollon on April 26, 2011, 12:58:12 PM

Who influenced who is not a concern of mine. What is a concern, as a listener, is does the music move me emotionally/intellectually? That's what I'm concerned with.

karlhenning

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 26, 2011, 01:05:34 PM
Who influenced who is not a concern of mine. What is a concern, as a listener, is does the music move me emotionally/intellectually? That's what I'm concerned with.

I don't see that as an either/or.