Juilliard's manuscript collection is up!

Started by Kullervo, June 28, 2007, 06:02:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kullervo

http://www.juilliardmanuscriptcollection.org/

They've made their collection of autograph manuscripts available to view by flash. Really fascinating stuff, especially the piano four-hands arrangement of the Große Fuge that was presumed lost.

bhodges

Thanks for posting this, even though as one blogger commented, "Goodbye, free time!"   ;D  Such an interesting collection: all those Schnittke pieces and Richard Strauss operas, Shostakovich's Intervision, plus the Stravinsky manuscripts...  Quite the treasure trove!

--Bruce

greg

what Schnittke? I couldn't find anything i needed to look at there, though they did have some good stuff.

bhodges

Well, strange -- the Schnittke works are listed here.  (Just scroll down.)

http://www.juilliardmanuscriptcollection.org/complete.swf

But...when I tried to actually find them, the index page doesn't show any. ???  Maybe I'll write them if I have time.  They may not have digitized everything that's shown above...maybe they're doing it in stages.

--Bruce 

greg

yeah, i saw that catalogue. The actual stuff they have that you can view is a lot less.
if they are doing it in stages, that'd be cool, after seeing both pages i thought that was all they were going to put up.

greg

http://library.juilliard.edu/

do a search for almost any score and you'll find it!  :o
191 results for Xenakis!  :o

and it looks like they have books about just about any language and its literature, too

if i went to Juilliard and had access to this library, i don't think i'd ever make it out of my room, probably it's a good thing i don't go there  ;D

BachQ

Whoa ......... there was a thread on this about a month ago, dude.

karlhenning

Whoa, correct the spelling of Juilliard in both the subject header and your OP  8)

BachQ

Quote from: karlhenning on September 10, 2007, 11:24:18 AM
Whoa, correct the spelling of Juilliard in both the subject header and your OP  8)

In one post, Greg has managed to identify at least two ways to misspell Juilliard ........

karlhenning

It is a mode of creativity . . . .

BachQ

>:D While in the same post, he also managed to spell it correctly (albeit the correct spelling was immersed in a hyperlink) ........  ::)

karlhenning

There, the spelling was out of his hands  0:)

BachQ

When it comes to Greg, we take correct spellings any way we can find them ..........

mahlertitan

Quote from: greg on September 10, 2007, 11:12:48 AM
http://library.juilliard.edu/

do a search for almost any score and you'll find it!  :o
191 results for Xenakis!  :o

and it looks like they have books about just about any language and its literature, too

if i went to Julliard and had access to this library, i don't think i'd ever make it out of my room, probably it's a good thing i don't go there  ;D

that's quite typical, any university (of a decent size and reputation, with a music program) have a good collection of books and scores. Of course, being a music school, i would imagine that Juilliard would have more resources in that regard.

maybe Greg should apply for college, and experience it first hand perhaps?

Cato

Quote from: MahlerTitan on September 10, 2007, 12:14:19 PM
that's quite typical, any university (of a decent size and reputation, with a music program) have a good collection of books and scores. Of course, being a music school, i would imagine that Juilliard would have more resources in that regard.

maybe Greg should apply for college, and experience it first hand perhaps?

Bibliophilia can lead one to linger in the darkest, dustiest, moldiest little crannies, burying one's head in a yellowing scrap of foolscap in the hope of discovering an obscure bit of arcana which will give one a key to that otherwise unopenable door in our minds.

Scene:

Greg wildly pages through the 191st partitur of Xenakis at 3 A.M.  Stacks of Xenakis scores spill around him.

"AHA! Look at this microtonic eighth-note in this Xenakis score!  My formula is complete!  Finally I understand, and the fools who have mocked me will now pay, and pay dearly, I tell you!!!  Bwaaa-ha-ha-haaa!"

Crannies...burying - there's a joke there somewhere!    0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mark G. Simon

You have to remember, Greg, that those 191 entries are not all different works. They include scores and recordings, including recordings which contain music by other composers, such as the "Cellists of the Berlin Philharmonic" disc which has one brief Xenakis work on it along with a lot of other stuff. A lot of the 191 entries are cross-references, notes in the catalog which direct you to the proper form of a name or title, for instance "Zenakis, Yannis -- See Xenakis, Iannis", or "Khoaï-xoai -- See Khoaï".

But, yeah, there's nothing like an academic music library to get the blood boiling. I learned more about composing from going to the music library every day and listening to music with scores than I did from any composition teacher.

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: Mark G. Simon on September 11, 2007, 05:09:08 AM
I learned more about composing from going to the music library every day and listening to music with scores than I did from any composition teacher.

That is an interesting point, which could be explored in a thread of its own.

greg

Quote from: D Minor on September 10, 2007, 11:37:57 AM
In one post, Greg has managed to identify at least two ways to misspell Juilliard ........
i'm an overachiever, what can i say?
juliard, julliard, juiliard, jewliard, jewlliard, julyard, ok, that's enough

Quote from: Cato on September 11, 2007, 03:49:06 AM
Scene:

Greg wildly pages through the 191st partitur of Xenakis at 3 A.M.  Stacks of Xenakis scores spill around him.

"AHA! Look at this microtonic eighth-note in this Xenakis score!  My formula is complete!  Finally I understand, and the fools who have mocked me will now pay, and pay dearly, I tell you!!!  Bwaaa-ha-ha-haaa!"
now that i could see happening......
the minute i enter that library i'd be like, "whoa.... so this is what heaven looks like." Then i'd check out 99 scores thinking that the limit is the same as the library i used to work for, then they say "40 is the limit". Then I make 2 other people check out 20 or 30 each for me and then i spend a whole week locked inside to discover the whole world of music......  :o

You have to remember, Greg, that those 191 entries are not all different works. They include scores and recordings, including recordings which contain music by other composers, such as the "Cellists of the Berlin Philharmonic" disc which has one brief Xenakis work on it along with a lot of other stuff. A lot of the 191 entries are cross-references, notes in the catalog which direct you to the proper form of a name or title, for instance "Zenakis, Yannis -- See Xenakis, Iannis", or "Khoaï-xoai -- See Khoaï".
i see now, the ones with a "c" are scores, "p" are CDs.
still, pretty impressive although they're lacking some good orchestral scores

But, yeah, there's nothing like an academic music library to get the blood boiling. I learned more about composing from going to the music library every day and listening to music with scores than I did from any composition teacher.
not surprising, really.... 90%+ of what you learn should be learned by yourself, because you can learn much faster that way than sitting in class being taught stuff

Cato

I confess     0:)   to skipping certain classes in college, so that I could spend my time in a more worthwhile fashion in the university library.

Once the choice was to hear an ABD drone on about feminism in an E.M. Forster short story, or to peruse the score of Pli Selon Pli by Pierre Boulez which had just magically appeared in the music library.

The devil    >:D   whispered to me that I should attend class like a good little student, and be sensitized to propaganda from the professoriat.

But St. Cecilia    0:)   approved my absence!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

lukeottevanger

Close to my idea of my own personal heaven is my own college library, specifically its music division, the Rowe Music Library at Kings College Cambridge, 'the most important college music library in Cambridge'. Not only is it fantastically equipped with rare manuscripts and every score I ever wanted (it was better than the faculty's main Library in that respect, though if I was really desperate there was always the UL, a copyright library which has, literally, everything), but unlike any other library I've been to it was everything else a library ought to be - secluded, mysterious, Gothic, creepy at night, to be reached by walking cold stone corridors and staircases away from the main library. Proper Name-of-the-Rose stuff.  8)

Just found this map online

and it takes me back! I practically lived at the lower of those two desks during my final year...

Here is the main library, inside and out: