The Copland Corral

Started by karlhenning, April 10, 2007, 05:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

And here I was listening to the Sextet only last night, too!

karlhenning

For a long time, I much preferred the original chamber scoring of Appalachian Spring to the 'filled-out' orchestral version.  Michael Tilson Thomas' recording of the full-orchestra version with the SFSO convinced me of the merits of the latter, though.

Very much like the Naxos recording (Jas Judd, Enzedd Symphony) of the Third Symphony. In fact, I am going to slap that one right into the player as we speak . . . .

El Salón México! 'Nuff said!

Joe Barron

Wonderful stuff, to be sure. These day I'm learning top play the three pieces from Our Town on the piano (along with The sunken Cathedral). As I've said before, copland's film scores contain soe of his most attractive, unassuming music. The best ones also date from his golden Americana perios, the lae 30s to the mid 40s.

I'll have to check out MTT's version of Appalachian Spring. I, too, have always preferred the original instrument version, which I find has a Baroque drive missing from the cushier big-orchestra scoring. I also like the sections of the ballet that were deleted from the suite.   

karlhenning

Quote from: Joe Barron on April 11, 2007, 08:03:58 AM
Wonderful stuff, to be sure. These day I'm learning top play the three pieces from Our Town on the piano (along with The sunken Cathedral).

You can combine them into an Ivesian fantasy, Our Sunken Town, Joe . . . .

And I should go back to listen to the Piano Sonata and Piano Fantasy again;  I remember just being enraptured by them in Benjamin Pasternack's recording.

bhodges

Quote from: hornteacher on April 11, 2007, 12:31:43 PM
MTT has a FANTASTIC Copland DVD out:

http://www.amazon.com/Keeping-Score-Copland-American-Sound/dp/B000JGG888/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/002-4456605-3214401?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1176323436&sr=1-3

I saw this on PBS and it is indeed marvelous.  MTT has charisma to spare, and the musical portions and other interviews (e.g., with musicians) are all excellent.  I enjoyed the Stravinsky Rite of Spring program even more...an outstanding series.

--Bruce

Joe Barron

Quote from: bhodges on April 11, 2007, 12:38:54 PM
I saw this on PBS and it is indeed marvelous.  MTT has charisma to spare, and the musical portions and other interviews (e.g., with musicians) are all excellent.  I enjoyed the Stravinsky Rite of Spring program even more...an outstanding series.

Made me wish he'd examine the Ives Fourth ...

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: bhodges on April 11, 2007, 12:38:54 PM

--Bruce

I agree. I love MTT. He just comes across as sincere and really love music. When he talks about music he is not showing off what he knows and trying to patronize you but is just sharing some aspect of the music that he finds interesting.

Mark G. Simon

Quote from: Joe Barron on April 11, 2007, 01:33:46 PM
Made me wish he'd examine the Ives Fourth ...

He has recorded it at least once. The balance in the 2nd movement highly favors the piano (the non-quarter tone piano), so that it tends to sound something like a piano concerto.

Bogey

Has anyone here ventured down these roads?:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Quote from: karlhenning on April 10, 2007, 05:19:30 AM
For a long time, I much preferred the original chamber scoring of Appalachian Spring ........

What recording(s) do you enjoy here Karl?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

And while I am here:

On the MTT Rodeo Hoe Down there is a very short "burst" from a chorus(?)....is this simply MTT garnish, or was that how Copland intended it to be?

hornteacher

Quote from: Bill on April 12, 2007, 07:41:24 PM
What recording(s) do you enjoy here Karl?

If you don't mind me jumping in the conversation, I enjoy the following:

This one by MTT for the entire ballet (including the "Revival" scene)
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=731

This one for the Symphonic Suite
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=1409

or this one:  (this was the CD that won all the awards)
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=268

and this one for a VERY nice version of the suite but played by the reduced chamber instrumentation
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=141992

karlhenning

Good morning, Bill & hornteacher!

Quote from: Bill on April 12, 2007, 07:17:02 PM
Has anyone here ventured down these roads?:

Viz, Young Pioneers, no, I don't know that at all.  But the Piano Variations, Piano Sonata and Piano Fantasy are all terrific music (I don't know if that exhausts the Copland solo piano oeuvre . . . .

hornteacher: Yes, I used to have that Orpheus Chamber Orchestra recording, and I should restore it to my library someday.

And I wonder if the recordings on that Copland the Populist disc are the same as on a disc I have with different cover art . . . .

hornteacher

Quote from: karlhenning on April 13, 2007, 04:22:12 AM
And I wonder if the recordings on that Copland the Populist disc are the same as on a disc I have with different cover art . . . .

If you mean this one:

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=96161

Yes they are, I found that out after I purchased.  Oh well.

Bogey

Thank you for all the feedback to my questions.

If you do not have it through the set, this is also a recording that I believe that most of you on this thread would enjoy:

Samples to be found here:

http://www.amazon.com/Copland-Modernist-Aaron/dp/B000003G4A/ref=sr_1_2/102-7134284-2880939?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1176471040&sr=8-2

Mark G. Simon

Copland is the kind of composer MTT really does well. The Symphonic Ode is a piece I need to know better.

Joe Barron

Let's not forget Mr. Copland himself recorded the conducted the complete Appalachian Spring in the orginal scrong. Still available, with a bonus track of Copland in rehearsal with the orchestra.

karlhenning

Okay, so it's the Short Symphony which is Symphony No. 2, and of which the Sextet is an arrangement.  The Dance Symphony is not numbered, and was a salvage operation of music from an unrealized ballet named Grogh.

Got it.