The Music Room > Composer Discussion

The Copland Corral

(1/88) > >>

karlhenning:
And here I was listening to the Sextet only last night, too!

karlhenning:
For a long time, I much preferred the original chamber scoring of Appalachian Spring to the 'filled-out' orchestral version.  Michael Tilson Thomas' recording of the full-orchestra version with the SFSO convinced me of the merits of the latter, though.

Very much like the Naxos recording (Jas Judd, Enzedd Symphony) of the Third Symphony. In fact, I am going to slap that one right into the player as we speak . . . .

El Salón México! 'Nuff said!

Joe Barron:
Wonderful stuff, to be sure. These day I'm learning top play the three pieces from Our Town on the piano (along with The sunken Cathedral). As I've said before, copland's film scores contain soe of his most attractive, unassuming music. The best ones also date from his golden Americana perios, the lae 30s to the mid 40s.

I'll have to check out MTT's version of Appalachian Spring. I, too, have always preferred the original instrument version, which I find has a Baroque drive missing from the cushier big-orchestra scoring. I also like the sections of the ballet that were deleted from the suite.   

karlhenning:

--- Quote from: Joe Barron on April 11, 2007, 07:03:58 AM ---Wonderful stuff, to be sure. These day I'm learning top play the three pieces from Our Town on the piano (along with The sunken Cathedral).

--- End quote ---

You can combine them into an Ivesian fantasy, Our Sunken Town, Joe . . . .

And I should go back to listen to the Piano Sonata and Piano Fantasy again;  I remember just being enraptured by them in Benjamin Pasternack's recording.

hornteacher:
MTT has a FANTASTIC Copland DVD out:

http://www.amazon.com/Keeping-Score-Copland-American-Sound/dp/B000JGG888/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/002-4456605-3214401?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1176323436&sr=1-3

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version