The Copland Corral

Started by karlhenning, April 10, 2007, 05:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maestro267

Just listened to Statements for Orchestra for the first time (LSO/Copland). Really enjoyable listen, with Copland's orchestral mastery very much in evidence. Also, the ending with that quiet tam-tam strike was an unexpected touch.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Maestro267 on August 29, 2017, 11:04:27 AM
Just listened to Statements for Orchestra for the first time (LSO/Copland). Really enjoyable listen, with Copland's orchestral mastery very much in evidence. Also, the ending with that quiet tam-tam strike was an unexpected touch.

That's a great work (the best I can remember). I believe this was from Copland's early Modernist period, correct?

Mirror Image

Quote from: millionrainbows on August 29, 2017, 08:48:48 AM
The Short Symphony is growing on me. This disc also has the smaller, original version of Appalachian Spring.

https://youtu.be/ok8oR51Y6Wg

A great disc. Dennis Russell Davies' performance of all of those works is quite good. I think I may prefer Hugh Wolff's performance (w/ the St. Paul Chamber Orch. on Teldec) a bit more for the original version of Appalachian Spring, though.

Maestro267

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 31, 2017, 05:50:27 PM
That's a great work (the best I can remember). I believe this was from Copland's early Modernist period, correct?

I believe so, yes. It was on a two-disc set containing early works, including all the symphonies apart from No. 3 (ie. Short, Dance and Organ), the Piano Concerto, and a couple of shorter works too.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Maestro267 on September 01, 2017, 12:23:06 AM
I believe so, yes. It was on a two-disc set containing early works, including all the symphonies apart from No. 3 (ie. Short, Dance and Organ), the Piano Concerto, and a couple of shorter works too.

Ah, okay. I, too, have that set (a Sony compilation).

vandermolen

I used to show my students studying American History a really good video entitled 'Brother, can you spare a dime?' About the depression of the 1930s and FDR. There was no commentary as such and it was a kind of collage of news film, movie clips and music. For years I wanted to know what the very powerful and memorable opening music was and then, one day, luckily, when I was listening to the radio I heard it broadcast. It was the third movement 'Dogmatic' - the shortest of the movements of Copland's 'Statements for Orchestra' - I was so pleased to suddenly know where it came from. I had a similar experience with a BBC School's History programme - years later I realised the music came from the opening of Britten's Violin Concerto.
Listening to 'Statements' now - on an old Everest CD with Antheil's 4th Symphony. Copland conducting the LSO in 'Statements' - he often recorded with British orchestras.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Cross-posted from the 'Purchases' thread:

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 10, 2017, 08:37:04 PM
Being a huge Copland fan, I couldn't let these slip past me any longer:

Of particular interest is the ballet Hear Ye! Hear Ye!, which I'll have to read up on, but it's apparently about a court trial (?). Utterly fascinating, not because of the story itself, but because only Copland would compose something like this.

Has anyone here heard these Slatkin recordings? The reviews are excellent and Symphony No. 3 is given a 'definitive' performance since it's Copland's original score performed here for the first-time.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 11, 2017, 06:09:58 AM
Cross-posted from the 'Purchases' thread:

Has anyone here heard these Slatkin recordings? The reviews are excellent and Symphony No. 3 is given a 'definitive' performance since it's Copland's original score performed here for the first-time.
I have the two white covered albums but haven't heard Symphony 3 yet - will try to listen in the next 24 hours. I love Danzon Cubano and enjoyed the 'Rodeo' album. I also have the highest opinion of Slatkin's RCA recording of Copland's Third Symphony and saw him conduct a wonderful performance of it at the London Proms some years ago.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on December 11, 2017, 09:33:17 AM
I have the two white covered albums but haven't heard Symphony 3 yet - will try to listen in the next 24 hours. I love Danzon Cubano and enjoyed the 'Rodeo' album. I also have the highest opinion of Slatkin's RCA recording of Copland's Third Symphony and saw him conduct a wonderful performance of it at the London Proms some years ago.

Excellent, Jeffrey. I heard Slatkin outdoes himself or, at least, the MusicWeb reviewer, Dan Morgan (?), mentioned this. I wonder if you've heard the ballet Hear Ye! Hear Ye! before? It's suppose to be quite a raucous work filled with jazz-isms and a roaring 20s type of vibe. Can't wait to hear it. I have the Knussen performance of it and thought it was decent, but I believe Slatkin will deliver the goods more than Knussen.

Mirror Image

These two releases look interesting, but what's held me back from buying them, and rightfully so, is the fact that conductor John Wilson uses the BBC Philharmonic, which is an orchestra I've never been crazy about.

One of my main motives for buying the Slatkin Naxos releases is this conductor has had a long-standing affection for Copland's music and, of course, being a praised interpreter of his music, so this attraction and my own curiosity in hearing him in newer performances are reasons as to why I bought the new Slatkin recordings.

relm1

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 11, 2017, 11:12:18 AM
These two releases look interesting, but what's held me back from buying them, and rightfully so, is the fact that conductor John Wilson uses the BBC Philharmonic, which is an orchestra I've never been crazy about.

One of my main motives for buying the Slatkin Naxos releases is this conductor has had a long-standing affection for Copland's music and, of course, being a praised interpreter of his music, so this attraction and my own curiosity in hearing him in newer performances are reasons as to why I bought the new Slatkin recordings.

You are being too picky.  These are on spotify so I checked them out and found them very solid.   

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on December 11, 2017, 04:23:35 PM
You are being too picky.  These are on spotify so I checked them out and found them very solid.

Nah, I don't believe I'm being picky at all, just being honest about how I feel about this orchestra in general.

vandermolen

The Symphonic Ode is one of my favourite Copland works - just the sort of craggy, monolithic score that I like. I enjoyed the Chandos CD. The other more populist one was in a sale in a local music shop so I bought it for my daughter but haven't listened to it.

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on December 11, 2017, 11:45:51 PM
The Symphonic Ode is one of my favourite Copland works - just the sort of craggy, monolithic score that I like.

Indeed, I think it a stronger (or, in some cases, an even stronger) orchestral work than the symphonies per se.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

I finally got round to hearing Slatkin's new (Naxos) recording of Symphony 3 with the Detroit SO. John (MI) is right - it is a sensational performance in all respects - the best I have heard. In eschewing the heart-on-sleeve characteristics of Bernstein's CBS/Sony version, which I never liked, his version reminds me more of Copland's own Everest recording with the LSO which had a revelatory impact on my teenage self when I was discovering classical music (my older brother had the LP). The new Slatkin is, of course, much better recorded and has a depth and sense of inevitability which had me gripped from beginning to end. Talking of which the symphony has a DIFFERENT ENDING  :o ??? :). Apparently, according to Leonard Slatkin's note in the booklet Copland made some cuts after a discussion with Leonard Bernstein. Here the original ending is restored. It was very weird to hear a work with which I am so familiar ending unusually. I had to play the 'new' ending three times to get my head round it and I like the original ending very much. I can't say that it is 'better' that the more familiar version but it was so exciting to hear it. As with the 1913 or 1920 version of Vaughan Williams's 'London Symphony' (with much more extensive cuts than the Copland) I suspect that it is this version that I will be returning to.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 14, 2018, 01:58:25 PM
I finally got round to hearing Slatkin's new (Naxos) recording of Symphony 3 with the Detroit SO. John (MI) is right - it is a sensational performance in all respects - the best I have heard. In eschewing the heart-on-sleeve characteristics of Bernstein's CBS/Sony version, which I never liked, his version reminds me more of Copland's own Everest recording with the LSO which had a revelatory impact on my teenage self when I was discovering classical music (my older brother had the LP). The new Slatkin is, of course, much better recorded and has a depth and sense of inevitability which had me gripped from beginning to end. Talking of which the symphony has a DIFFERENT ENDING  :o ??? :). Apparently, according to Leonard Slatkin's note in the booklet Copland made some cuts after a discussion with Leonard Bernstein. Here the original ending is restored. It was very weird to hear a work with which I am so familiar ending unusually. I had to play the 'new' ending three times to get my head round it and I like the original ending very much. I can't say that it is 'better' that the more familiar version but it was so exciting to hear it. As with the 1913 or 1920 version of Vaughan Williams's 'London Symphony' (with much more extensive cuts than the Copland) I suspect that it is this version that I will be returning to.

Bravo, Jeffrey! Couldn't have said it any better myself. I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. This recording has a special atmosphere that I have not heard in a performance of this symphony in quite some time. This is my new reference for this symphony. My previous reference (and it's still a splendid performance in many regards) was Bernstein's on DG.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 14, 2018, 02:10:01 PM
Bravo, Jeffrey! Couldn't have said it any better myself. I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. This recording has a special atmosphere that I have not heard in a performance of this symphony in quite some time. This is my new reference for this symphony. My previous reference (and it's still a splendid performance in many regards) was Bernstein's on DG.
Thank you John!  I agree about the DGG Bernstein version, which I much prefer to the CBS/Sony. Another performance I like is that conducted by the sadly short-lived conductor Eduardo Mata with the Dallas SO. He steers IMHO a 'middle path' between the more extrovert Bernstein recordings and the self-effacing Copland version with the Philharmonia Orchestra. I'm still on a high after listening to that terrific Slatkin CD, so I had to listen to some more American music - this time William Schuman's poetic and visionary Sixth Symphony - to calm me down before bed-time!  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 14, 2018, 02:26:25 PM
Thank you John!  I agree about the DGG Bernstein version, which I much prefer to the CBS/Sony. Another performance I like is that conducted by the sadly short-lived conductor Eduardo Mata with the Dallas SO. He steers IMHO a 'middle path' between the more extrovert Bernstein recordings and the self-effacing Copland version with the Philharmonia Orchestra. I'm still on a high after listening to that terrific Slatkin CD, so I had to listen to some more American music - this time William Schuman's poetic and visionary Sixth Symphony - to calm me down before bed-time!  :)

I must hear the Mata (a conductor I admire very much). I just bought Copland's own performance of his 3rd on Everest (coupled with Billy the Kid (Suite). I think I'll listen to some Schuman later as well. Enjoy!

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 14, 2018, 02:29:26 PM
I must hear the Mata (a conductor I admire very much). I just bought Copland's own performance of his 3rd on Everest (coupled with Billy the Kid (Suite). I think I'll listen to some Schuman later as well. Enjoy!

Will be very interested to hear what you think of Copland's Everest recording John. Just ordered a CD of Ormandy conducting William Schuman's Third Symphony which I hadn't been aware of before.  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 14, 2018, 03:01:02 PM
Will be very interested to hear what you think of Copland's Everest recording John. Just ordered a CD of Ormandy conducting William Schuman's Third Symphony which I hadn't been aware of before.  :)

Very nice. Love Schuman's 3rd. Certainly one of those great American third symphonies.