The Copland Corral

Started by karlhenning, April 10, 2007, 05:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: eyeresist on September 10, 2011, 03:27:40 AM
Thanks, vandermolen. I wonder if you have any knowledge of the recording by Oue? I've read it described as "unusual", but don't know what that might mean exactly.

My pleasure - am playing the Oue now (haven't listened to it for ages). It is good - quite a different take on the Third Symphony - less 'epic' at the start and generally a more 'reflective' performance (if that makes any sense). It is several minutes slower than the first Bernstein recording - but all the better for it.  It has a 'sadder' feel to it with less triumphalism.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

eyeresist

vandermolen

Quote from: eyeresist on September 10, 2011, 08:37:25 PM
Intriguing. Thanks again.

I enjoyed listening again to it - thoroughly enjoyed it but it is quite different to any other version I have heard (and that's all of them!) Maybe you would not want it as your only version, but definitely worth having.  Copland's Third is generally well served on CD. I even do not dislike the Jarvi on Chandos as much as others + the Harris No 3 with it is better still. The New Zealanders on Naxos are good too.  If I could only choose one version it would be Slatkin with Mata a close number 2.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

I thought I would post this video here. This is an interesting interview with Copland himself:

http://www.youtube.com/v/JnWNjd00_ek

Bogey

Quote from: edward on May 31, 2009, 02:53:35 PM
I've been enjoying this particular Copland disc of late.

Having no alternative readings of these works, I'm not sure how good people would find these performances when up against competition, however. Any opinions?

Quote from: karlhenning on May 31, 2009, 02:58:36 PM
The only piece I have a comparison for is Dorati for the Dance Symphony, and with no disrespect for Dorati, Alsop holds her own very nicely here.

The corral doors are open!

Listening the fourth time through to the Dance Symphony under the baton of the composer and the LSO and another under Dorati and the Detroit Symphony Orchestra.  My wife walked in during the third movement and asked what soundtrack I was listening to.  I said it was Copland and she was quite surprised that it was not from a movie.  I find that in the first movement he captures more a "metropolitan" feel with the percussion and oboe.  There is some interesting "Sherlockian" fiddling about and also some neat piano when one listens closely.  It is a fantastic piece IMO and I did not tire of it during each subsequent listen.  The third movement has hints of that "western sound" toward the end but is snapped back to a "busy metropolitan sound" with the brass.

As for the two recordings, I believe that the Dorati recording adds a layer of lushness that I find romanticizes the piece in parts a bit too much for my taste.  I would rec the Copland conducted from '67 as the instruments sound a bit more raw.  Nice harp in the Dorati, but the oboe(?) does not keep pace and percussion leaves one wanting.  However, Dorati's second movement is worth the listen and maybe worth having this recording on the shelf just for that.

Anyone know if there is a Stokowski recording of this piece....I would love to here him take on the second movement!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Karl Henning

What band does Doráti lead in the Dance Symphony there, Bill?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Bogey

Quote from: karlhenning on July 10, 2012, 03:12:39 PM
What band does Doráti lead in the Dance Symphony there, Bill?

Motor City S O, Karl.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Karl Henning

Ah, then it may well be the same recording I've got, in a different reissue.  I should revisit it!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: Bogey on July 10, 2012, 02:50:37 PM

All of the sets of the Copland Collection are worth acquiring. I'm getting in the mood for some Copland myself. It's hot outside and the only cure is some Billy the Kid. :D By the way, the Dance Symphony is great! I love the Organ Symphony too. Have you heard this one, Bill?

Bogey

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 10, 2012, 03:51:11 PM
All of the sets of the Copland Collection are worth acquiring. I'm getting in the mood for some Copland myself. It's hot outside and the only cure is some Billy the Kid. :D By the way, the Dance Symphony is great! I love the Organ Symphony too. Have you heard this one, Bill?

I will make that one my next listen, MI.  Not too familiar with it. The above is my first recording.

Bogey

Quote from: karlhenning on July 10, 2012, 03:50:15 PM
Ah, then it may well be the same recording I've got, in a different reissue.  I should revisit it!

Compare the two when you can.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Bogey on July 10, 2012, 04:11:59 PM
I will make that one my next listen, MI.  Not too familiar with it. The above is my first recording.

The second movement from the Organ Symphony is a blast!

Bogey

As per MI's lead, rolling out the Symphony for Organ and Orchestra.

The first movement I am enjoying considerably.  I love how winds are used in the first movement.  A nice balance to the organ's depth.  It really has that "Copland footboot print at the start and throughout the second, but is that an organ or an accordian I hear with splashes of Peter and the Wolf? ;)  That 5 minute mark truly kicks it in.  The third movement had me looking about our lighting for a swinging phantom at points, but when the organ was absent or subtle I much more enjoyed the music.  In final, I feel that the organ does not blend with the symphony, but rather features.  Much along the lines of the tuba when Jabba appears under John Williams scoring. ;D  Thanks for the point MI....that was fun.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Bogey on July 10, 2012, 05:22:50 PM
As per MI's lead, rolling out the Symphony for Organ and Orchestra.

The first movement I am enjoying considerably.  I love how winds are used in the first movement.  A nice balance to the organ's depth.  It really has that "Copland footboot print at the start and throughout the second, but is that an organ or an accordian I hear with splashes of Peter and the Wolf? ;)  That 5 minute mark truly kicks it in.  The third movement had me looking about our lighting for a swinging phantom at points, but when the organ was absent or subtle I much more enjoyed the music.  In final, I feel that the organ does not blend with the symphony, but rather features.  Much along the lines of the tuba when Jabba appears under John Williams scoring. ;D  Thanks for the point MI....that was fun.

Glad you enjoyed, Bill. It is a fun work certainly. :)

tjguitar

Quote from: eyeresist on September 10, 2011, 03:27:40 AM
Thanks, vandermolen. I wonder if you have any knowledge of the recording by Oue? I've read it described as "unusual", but don't know what that might mean exactly.

The Oue was the first recording I heard of the Symphony. I think it's great. The only other one I've heard is the Mata, which I don't remember much about.

snyprrr

Connotations
Inscape

Anyone on these two moist dissonant, Modern, and foreboding Copland works? I've always liked the clunky theme of 'Connotations', and the orchestration. 'Inscape' equally has searing moments, and is very thick indeed.

I think we have three 'Connotations': Bernstein/Sony, Bernstein/DG, and, an old NewWorld album (which I hear is the one NOT to get (I'm sure I've heard it from the library but the performance escapes me, though I suspect it had low wattage)). Everybody says the Sony is the only one, and it sure is searing, but the DG isn't bad, even though Bernstein made some cuts AC wasn't pleased with (it's still longer with the cuts than the Sony, so).

Apparently Jackie Kennedy went up to AC after the premiere and asked why the piece was so... 'ascetic'? Or something. I forget what the reply was.

'Inscape' is AC's last Orchestral Work. I think we only have Bernstein/Sony and Botstein/NewWorld. I'll have to go to the library for the Sony, but the new Botstein performance is just fine. I've only listened once so far, but the piece comes off a bit more diffuse than 'Connotations'. I'll admit that I like Copland's 'enigmatic' pieces ('Dance Panels', 'Statements'); I like his 'thoughts' so to speak,... somewhat like Schuman in the Titles ('Credendum', 'Statements').

As far as the older, mid-century generation (Hindemith, DSCH, Bloch, etc.,...), these two pieces seem like the only really Modernist pieces outside of Stravinsky (I'm suuure I'm missing oodles, but I'm not talking Frank Martin). What do you think?

Karl Henning

Well, you do make the most interesting posts when I am on duty at the museum....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

'Statements' is a work I have recently discovered and like.

snyprrr

Quote from: karlhenning on May 18, 2013, 11:14:03 AM
Well, you do make the most interesting posts when I am on duty at the museum....

I'm sorry, Karl! :D

Brian

[from the listening thread]

This...

[asin]B00CE28SR4[/asin]

...is my new first-choice Rodeo. Note, however, that the cover - and back cover - and booklet - are all somehow mistaken about the contents. This isn't the famous "Four Dance Episodes" suite usually heard, but the full ballet, with an extra movement (Ranch House Party), a new introduction to the Nocturne, and a few superfluous extra passages in the Hoe Down.

I used my MusicWeb Twitter powers to point out Naxos' mistake, and they responded by splitting the digital download/streaming version into 5 tracks instead of 4, and also changed the cover art, including a new picture for some reason:

So three public service announcements:
1. If you see these two cover images, they're the same CD.
2. This IS a complete, uncut Rodeo performance.
3. It is OUTSTANDING. Slatkin and the Detroit Symphony are fully on-point, the solo work's terrific, there are a lot of touches that make me smile (like the way the cellos really dig into the Hoe Down, or a great trombone solo in Buckaroo Holiday, or the joyous saloon piano in Ranch House Party), and the recorded sound is excellent. I would definitely consider this (after three listens) my favorite Rodeo.