The Copland Corral

Started by karlhenning, April 10, 2007, 05:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Quote from: Scarpia on June 22, 2013, 10:25:59 AM
There's some confusion here.  Now I see that Nimbus has two different recordings of the Nonet, one by Davies, the other by Boughton.   In the past I have been very dissatisfied with Nimbus/Boughton recordings.  Maybe Nimbus recordings with Davies and St. Lukes would suit me better.  The Nimbus Davies seems to be identical with a Musical Heritage Society release, but I thought MHS only re-issued recordings made by other labels, maybe that's not so. 

[asin]B0000064AV[/asin]

[asin]B00165QONK[/asin]

[asin]B000000FN7[/asin]

At this point the only Copland I can recall in my collection is this, which I do not like at all.

[asin]B000NPCMEO[/asin]

Nimbus seems to be Naxos-ing Out! with their reissues. YES, the Davies 'sounds' fine. Many prefer his 'Spring' too.

Karl Henning

I, for one, think that the original chamber version of Appalachian Spring is underappreciated.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

bhodges

Quote from: karlhenning on June 24, 2013, 03:09:09 AM
I, for one, think that the original chamber version of Appalachian Spring is underappreciated.

I might agree with you (and sanantonio, with that welcome recording suggestion). Have heard both in the last few years - the chamber music version more recently, and was impressed with how fresh it sounded. The reduced orchestration seems more simpatico with the spirit of the piece.

--Bruce

Rons_talking

I'd go with Brahms and Hindemith. It seems they outsmart their own ideas. Something beautiful is often immediately developed out of its original form, never to be heard the same way again.  "wow, that's powerful," I'll say. As soon as I utter this the music is going somewhere else. They're both great composers but they take my dinner to the kitchen before I'm half finished...

Bogey

Gates have swung open in a few months, so bringing this over:

Thanks to John:

Our Town: conducted by

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 25, 2013, 08:10:39 PM
Thumbs up! A very good work. The best I can remember anyway. By the way, Bill, have you heard Dance Panels? This is one of my favorite new Copland discoveries. Well, I've actually heard it years ago, but only in the last two or three months has it made such a lasting impression on me.

Do not have that one.  Is their a performance you prefer?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mirror Image

Quote from: Bogey on September 26, 2013, 06:41:06 PM

Do not have that one.  Is their a performance you prefer?

Yes, get Copland's performance. It's excellent. I bought those Copland Collections on Sony. There's three sets in all. I'm surprised you don't own these, Bill. I know you're a vinyl man, but these are worth owning on CD.

Bogey

I have this one.  I was actually listening to Statements when I read your post. ;D

I have not picked up the others because I had a number of the recordings on other discs.  I always hem and haw when I look at them.  I also noticed that their prices have gone down, so a good time to buy.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

snyprrr

Quote from: Rons_talking on June 27, 2013, 03:32:49 PM
I'd go with Brahms and Hindemith. It seems they outsmart their own ideas. Something beautiful is often immediately developed out of its original form, never to be heard the same way again.  "wow, that's powerful," I'll say. As soon as I utter this the music is going somewhere else. They're both great composers but they take my dinner to the kitchen before I'm half finished...

good one

Mirror Image

Quote from: Bogey on September 26, 2013, 07:12:01 PM
I have this one.  I was actually listening to Statements when I read your post. ;D

I have not picked up the others because I had a number of the recordings on other discs.  I always hem and haw when I look at them.  I also noticed that their prices have gone down, so a good time to buy.

Yeah, if you can get them cheap then go for it. You won't be sorry. I, too, already owned some performances in these sets, but I got rid of the duplicates to accommodate room for these three sets. :)

Bogey

Indeed.  I like how Bernstein or Copland is in charge of the performances.  As it should be, but MTT also had a nice run with his music.

Mirror Image

Nice pictures, Bill. Bernstein knew Copland's music better than any other conductor, but I do agree that MTT has done some fine work with this music.

Bogey

This one has been on my radar. Anyone here have a copy?

[asin]B000003GJ4[/asin]

Here is what it has to offer:

Notes and Editorial Reviews
This CD also contains a conversation between Aaron Copland, Donald L. Leavitt, and Leo Smit.
REVIEWS:
Billboard (11/27/99) - Recommended
Works on This Recording
1. Old American Songs, Set 2: Zion's Walls by Aaron Copland
Performer:  Leo Smit (Piano), Jan DeGaetani (Mezzo Soprano)
Period: 20th Century
Written: 1952; USA
Date of Recording: 11/14/1981
Venue:  Live  Coolidge Auditorium, Library of Congress
Length: 2 Minutes 14 Secs.

2. Old American Songs, Set 2: At the River by Aaron Copland
Length: 2 Minutes 49 Secs.

3. Old American Songs, Set 1: Simple Gifts by Aaron Copland
Performer:  Jan DeGaetani (Mezzo Soprano), Leo Smit (Piano)
Written: 1950; USA
Length: 1 Minutes 52 Secs.

4. Three Moods by Aaron Copland
Performer:  Leo Smit (Piano)
Written: 1920-1921; Paris, France
Length: 4 Minutes 29 Secs.

5. Night Thoughts "Hommage to Ives" by Aaron Copland
Performer:  Leo Smit (Piano)
Written: 1972; USA
Length: 8 Minutes 16 Secs.

6. Poems (12) of Emily Dickinson by Aaron Copland
Written: 1949-1950; USA
Length: 32 Minutes 13 Secs.
Notes: Jan DeGaetani provides a spoken introduction to this song cycle.

7. Old American Songs, Set 2: The Little Horses by Aaron Copland
Written: 1952; USA
Length: 2 Minutes 33 Secs.

Octave

At a glance, it looks like the same performances from the first, 3cd volume of the Sony COPLAND COLLECTION (1936-48) will be repackaged with a couple discs (?) of piano music (Leo Smit) in that forthcoming Sony budget box:

It's a pity Sony didn't include the other two volumes (four discs) in this new COLLECTION box.  It will be nice to hear the piano music, though.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Bogey on September 26, 2013, 07:33:49 PM
This one has been on my radar. Anyone here have a copy?

No, but it must be charming, Bill.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Alert: Copland binge approaching.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

The new erato

Quote from: Octave on September 26, 2013, 08:36:41 PM
At a glance, it looks like the same performances from the first, 3cd volume of the Sony COPLAND COLLECTION (1936-48) will be repackaged with a couple discs (?) of piano music (Leo Smit) in that forthcoming Sony budget box:

It's a pity Sony didn't include the other two volumes (four discs) in this new COLLECTION box.  It will be nice to hear the piano music, though.
I have had this on preorder for some time and been puzzled why they didn't, too.

Karl Henning

Quote from: karlhenning on September 27, 2013, 02:51:13 AM
Alert: Copland binge approaching.

Little did I realize that my binge would focus simply on Appalachian Spring . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Bogey on September 26, 2013, 07:12:01 PM

Bill, you remind me that I've not heard the Pf Cto at all, at all.  And this volume has the Lenny/E. Power Biggs recording of the Organ Symphony, too.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brahmsian

I've listened to a few this morning, and will listen to some more later in the day.  Taking a nap to rest up from this cold flu.

Listened to 'Fanfare for the Common Man', 'Quiet City' and 'Music for Movies'.

On deck for later today:  'Lincoln Portrait', 'Appalachian Spring Suite', 'Ceremonial Fanfare', 'El salon Mexico', 'Dance Symphony' and 'Four Dance Episodes from Rodeo'

I will skip the 'Five "Old American Songs"'.  Not my thing.  :D  I particularly cringe at "I Bought Me a Cat".  :laugh: >:D :)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA