The Copland Corral

Started by karlhenning, April 10, 2007, 05:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

I greatly enjoyed this new recording of Symphony 3 as well as the Piston work (The Incredible Flautist). I have read mixed reviews of the Performance of the Copland work but in my view it has great urgency and power and is one of the most exciting versions:
[asin]B00CZ9CN4A[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Rons_talking

Quote from: vandermolen on March 08, 2015, 01:27:10 AM
I greatly enjoyed this new recording of Symphony 3 as well as the Piston work (The Incredible Flautist). I have read mixed reviews of the Performance of the Copland work but in my view it has great urgency and power and is one of the most exciting versions:
[asin]B00CZ9CN4A[/asin]

I'll look forward to hearing it. I've been pleased to see the Copland 3 getting more performances. His works should sound exciting...he's the Stravinsky of American music!

vandermolen

Quote from: Rons_talking on March 08, 2015, 03:58:56 PM
I'll look forward to hearing it. I've been pleased to see the Copland 3 getting more performances. His works should sound exciting...he's the Stravinsky of American music!

Yes, I agree. I have a number of interesting CDs performed by the excellent Oregon SO under the late James Du Priest including a fine version of the Korngold Symphony and Ronald Lo Presti's wonderful 'The Masks'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Just FYI - the Library of Congress recently put-up on their website a varied and interesting selection of material from their Aaron Copland Collection.  Well worth the visit :

http://www.loc.gov/collections/aaron-copland/

vandermolen

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on October 07, 2015, 10:28:57 AM
Just FYI - the Library of Congress recently put-up on their website a varied and interesting selection of material from their Aaron Copland Collection.  Well worth the visit :

http://www.loc.gov/collections/aaron-copland/
What a great online resource! Not just the letters but also the photos. Thanks very much for the link. I have been looking at the correspondence to Carlos Chavez and Benjamin Britten and will enjoy looking at more material in due course.  :)

Rons_talking

I've read many of these letters and have always been impressed with both the composer's humility as well as his interest in other composer's music. I spent one night reading the published letters to Bernstein. They were facinating to me and befitting of America's leading composer. He seemed to be welcome anywhere in the world!

bhodges

Here is the sequence from last night's The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, with Gustavo Dudamel and members of the Los Angeles Philharmonic in Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8jjhHmbmkU

--Bruce

Scion7

Quote from: Rons_talking on October 09, 2015, 05:17:03 PM
befitting of America's leading composer

Whoa, Dobbin!  I admire a lot of his music, but that's quite a statement, what with Samuel Barber and a couple others out there!   ???
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on September 30, 2014, 05:31:37 PM
I bought the original single-disc release of the Wolff Appalachian Spring, and love it. So I'll second that vote.

Interesting enough the earlier recording of Appalachian Spring also the chamber version with the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra conducted by Dennis Russel Davies:

won grammophone chamber record of the year back in 1980 and is one of the earliest DDD recordings made. You can listen to it on youtube as it is one of the finest versions out there. Everything is right with the recording, close and intimate, tempo just right, rhythms are taut yet flexible and spendidly played and recorded. DRD must have this music in him innately as he also recorded again later with the equally impressive Orch of St. Lukes as someone already mentioned.

Anyway it is pretty much criminal that the St. Paul/DRD version is OOP.

The new erato

A new BIS release contains the following:

Aaron Copland (1900-1990): Orchestral Works, Vol. 2

Symphony for Organ and Orchestra *
Symphonic Ode
Short Symphony (Symphony No. 2)
Orchestral Variations

Jonathan Scott (organ) *
BBC Philharmonic / John Wilson

Seems very promising!

vandermolen

Quote from: The new erato on July 30, 2016, 12:52:38 AM

Symphonic Ode
Orchestral Variations

Jonathan Scott (organ) *

Seems very promising!
Great news and thanks for posting. What an interesting release. I love the craggy Symphonic Ode and the Organ Symphony. More depleted financial resources.  ::)

The new erato

At least with Brexit you will avoid VAT from Europe...... >:D

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on July 30, 2016, 12:52:38 AM

Symphonic Ode
Orchestral Variations

Jonathan Scott (organ) *

Seems very promising!

Wouldn't this be a Chandos release? Chandos released the first volume already.

[asin]B018HGUKSK[/asin]

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 30, 2016, 10:59:36 AM

[asin]B018HGUKSK[/asin]
It might be a great recording but is there a point to this? The market is flooded with good Copland of every sort from major orchestras and chamber orchestras in the US and also the UK like the London SO. Is this suppose to compete with the new series from the Detroit Symphony Orchestra? You would think in this day and age of limited resources you won't see such a superfluous release.

Mirror Image

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on July 30, 2016, 02:07:08 PM
It might be a great recording but is there a point to this? The market is flooded with good Copland of every sort from major orchestras and chamber orchestras in the US and also the UK like the London SO. Is this suppose to compete with the new series from the Detroit Symphony Orchestra? You would think in this day and age of limited resources you won't see such a superfluous release.

First of all, it wasn't my intention to promote or even hint at my interest in this new Copland recording, because, honestly, I'm not interested in hearing or owning it nor am I particularly interested in anyone's opinion of this recording. Second, what's wrong with a label putting out another Copland recording? Labels dish out Beethoven and Mozart recordings by the truckloads, but Copland doesn't deserve the same kind of treatment? And, last, I only posted the recording above for erato's benefit with hopes to clear up some possible confusion. That is all.

Scion7

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on July 30, 2016, 02:07:08 PM

They are counting on OCCDCD (or whatever it is).  If it was a Shostakovich release that was put out on shelf at ye local record shoppe a half-hour before opening, the store clerks would be nervously watching M.I. as he pushed against the mall-security-bars, waiting for them to rise at 10 a.m.  ....   ;D
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Mirror Image

Quote from: Scion7 on July 30, 2016, 07:53:48 PM
They are counting on OCCDCD (or whatever it is).  If it was a Shostakovich release that was put out on shelf at ye local record shoppe a half-hour before opening, the store clerks would be nervously watching M.I. as he pushed against the mall-security-bars, waiting for them to rise at 10 a.m.  ....   ;D

:P

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 30, 2016, 10:59:36 AM

Yes, you're absolutely right.

vandermolen