GMG Listening Group — Beethoven Symphony № 6 :: 12-18 June 2011

Started by karlhenning, May 09, 2011, 08:01:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palmetto

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on June 02, 2011, 11:38:45 AM
Has there been any Haydn in your life?

Unfortunately, I frittered May away on work, in-laws, and 'Agon'!  ;D

I don't know if the 'Composer of the Month' approach is going to work for me.  I may (or may not) combine it with the current 'Listening Group' selection.  Finding time to give individual pieces the listenings they merit is limiting the number of works I can fit into a monthly period.  I gave 'Agon' about three hours total just to scratch some crude mastodons and hand prints on the cave wall.  The Surgeon General has determined that switching between unfamiliar composers in a limited period may result in insufficient exposure to the beneficial effects.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Palmetto on June 02, 2011, 11:08:44 AM
Can I assume from your question that you didn't get my reply?  I sent it as a reply to the e-mail I received in my personal e-mail account.  If you didn't get it, let me know and I'll resend.  In short, the answer was "Sure!"

OK, now I received your PM, and you were right, I never got the original email, for whatever reason.  Thanks for sending it again!   :) 8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Palmetto on June 02, 2011, 11:47:06 AM
Unfortunately, I frittered May away on work, in-laws, and 'Agon'!  ;D

I don't know if the 'Composer of the Month' approach is going to work for me.  I may (or may not) combine it with the current 'Listening Group' selection.  Finding time to give individual pieces the listenings they merit is limiting the number of works I can fit into a monthly period.  I gave 'Agon' about three hours total just to scratch some crude mastodons and hand prints on the cave wall.  The Surgeon General has determined that switching between unfamiliar composers in a limited period may result in insufficient exposure to the beneficial effects.

:D  Yeah, know what you mean. On the one hand, you get into what you're talking about, but then, you get people thinking you're in a rut if you listen to the same composer enough to absorb his idiom. Just can't win. Well, my own next big push is going to be Schubert, although that only means he will bump up to a full 50% of my listening with the other 50% a nice blend of flavors. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mn Dave

karlhenning

DavidW

Mn Dave

DavidW

Quote from: Mr. Fancypants on June 02, 2011, 05:11:09 PM
Five versions isn't good enough, eh?  :)

Pursue other recordings, don't tell the other five.  Plenty of opportunities for one night stands. ;D

Mn Dave

Quote from: DavidW on June 02, 2011, 05:13:45 PM
Pursue other recordings, don't tell the other five.  Plenty of opportunities for one night stands. ;D

I hardly ever listen to these as it is.

DavidW

Quote from: Mr. Fancypants on June 02, 2011, 05:17:22 PM
I hardly ever listen to these as it is.

Well that will all change once Karl opens your eyes and your heart to the magnificent beauty that is the Pastoral symphony. 0:)

Mn Dave

Quote from: DavidW on June 02, 2011, 05:19:25 PM
Well that will all change once Karl opens your eyes and your heart to the magnificent beauty that is the Pastoral symphony. 0:)

I like it, I just have too much music.  :P

DavidW

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 02, 2011, 06:32:59 AM
ZB, I have read that one, but it was decades ago . . . I don't know that I still have that book at home. Must be easy to scare it up at the BPL, though . . . .

You have to wade through the multiplicious mug shots of Lennie and also his pretensions about his developing a linguistic-musical mega-theory. (There may be something to it, but the presentation is superficial.) There are some gems in the book, though. I liked his analysis of Mozart's Symphony No. 40.

ZB
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Mn Dave

Listened to the Szell last night, a pleasant enough symphony. A bit too much on the sunny side for me but worthy nonetheless.  ;D Will listen to other versions as I have time.

Palmetto

Quote from: Mn Dave on June 02, 2011, 05:22:18 PM
It is, it is...

When I have similar problems with books, I take them to work, tag them as 'Free!', and leave them in the cafeteria.  Obviously, if your music is all in digital files, that isn't an option.

Mn Dave

Quote from: Palmetto on June 04, 2011, 04:37:12 AM
When I have similar problems with books, I take them to work, tag them as 'Free!', and leave them in the cafeteria.  Obviously, if your music is all in digital files, that isn't an option.

Leaving bad books about for the unwary. I like it.  >:D

karlhenning

karlhenning

Quote from: Mn Dave on June 04, 2011, 04:33:59 AM
Listened to the Szell last night, a pleasant enough symphony. A bit too much on the sunny side for me but worthy nonetheless.  ;D

Zounds, man: wouldst fault Matisse for being colorful?!

Mn Dave