Mozart: String Duos, Trios, & Quintets

Started by snyprrr, May 09, 2011, 05:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

Alexa, find me PI performances of K 452
Alexa, aka AmazonUS
[asin]B00DGXHN8A[/asin]
[asin]B07D35BG5D[/asin]
But the same search does not show the Gardellino CD.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

amw

I have one by Jos van Immerseel and some friends, on Accent. It's...ok?

JBS

That would be....

1) funny how Amazon searches yield some things one way, but others only another way.

2) "2 used from $79.30"

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mandryka

Funny how one thing leads to another. I discovered Sandor Falvai this morning through stumbling across an outstanding set of Chopin mazurkas. And it turns out he's part of a glorious 452 too! Very nicely recorded to boot.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Quote from: JBS on July 01, 2019, 12:16:48 PM
Alexa, find me PI performances of K 452
Alexa, aka AmazonUS
[asin]B00DGXHN8A[/asin]
[asin]B07D35BG5D[/asin]
But the same search does not show the Gardellino CD.

Don't know these (newer) recordings but they definitely look interesting.
But thanks to a tip from our Gurn a couple of years ago, I ended up with this dark horse - splendid!  :)

[asin]B00004Y6N0[/asin]

Quote from: JBS on July 01, 2019, 03:28:23 PM
That would be....

My two cents: nice, but no cigar...

Q

Gurn Blanston

Starting to get a nice list of 452's! :)

I have Helicon, Vermeulen and Immerseel, which I list in the order I like them. Of the ones posted since, that one with Crawford on the fortepiano piques my interest, since I really do like her playing. I'll have to dial that one up!

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mandryka

A few weeks ago I started to make a list of 452s on Qobuz but I gave up, there were too many. This is as far as I got

Vermeulen
Bavouzet
Ashkenazy
Lupu
Perahia
Brendel
R. Serkin
Tomer Lev
Yoko Kikuchi
Schuch
Gieseking
Didier Puntos
Penelope Crawford
Maria Nyberg
Roger Boutry
Jean Francais
Hough
Cassadesus
Michael Houstoun
Nash Ensemble

Apparently Mozart wrote to his father saying that he thought it was his best work, and this was after he's composed the Gran Partita and the Sinfonia Concertante.

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on July 27, 2019, 08:10:40 AM
A few weeks ago I started to make a list of 452s on Qobuz but I gave up, there were too many. This is as far as I got

Apparently Mozart wrote to his father saying that he thought it was his best work, and this was after he's composed the Gran Partita and the Sinfonia Concertante.

I found that non period instrument performances simply don't work due to issues of balance between instruments.
Which makes the field of contenders a bit more comprehensive.  ;)

Q

Jo498

While I wrote above about the colors of period instruments I found out that I apparently disliked the soundbits sufficiently to never get one on period instruments because the keyboard seemed to weak... ;)

I could imagine that Mozart was particularly proud of the piece because it seems a fairly unique mix between a piano concerto and a wind serenade (whereas the Gran partita is merely a HUGE wind serenade) that probably had not been attempted before.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Que

Quote from: Jo498 on July 27, 2019, 11:21:26 AM
While I wrote above about the colors of period instruments I found out that I apparently disliked the soundbits sufficiently to never get one on period instruments because the keyboard seemed to weak... ;)

I could imagine that Mozart was particularly proud of the piece because it seems a fairly unique mix between a piano concerto and a wind serenade (whereas the Gran partita is merely a HUGE wind serenade) that probably had not been attempted before.

The fortepiano sounds exactly as Mozart expected it to sound.
In performances with "modern" (late Romantic) instruments the piano and the horn overpower the woodwinds, and your "unique mix" goes right out of the window....

Q

Jo498

This doesn't agree with what my ears tell me.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

The one which has caught my imagination most recently is Gulda/VPO.