Author Topic: Rachmaninov's Rock  (Read 1063 times)

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
Rachmaninov's Rock
« on: April 22, 2015, 12:36:41 PM »
In the list of national threads there is a Rachmaninov one but when I clicked on it I received a message saying that it was either 'missing' or 'off limits to me'. So, if you have come across a missing Rachmaninov thread please report it to the appropriate authorities. There is another piano music thread but this is not what I wanted to communicate about.
Anyway, I wanted to say how much I enjoyed a very interesting disc on a Chandos of Valeri Polyansky conducting Rachmaninov tone poems. It is unusual to see them all gathered together on one disc and I found it to be very atmospheric and evocative listening and enjoyed it all. I never realised that the fine tone poem 'The Rock' or 'The Crag' was based on a Checkov short story ('On the Road') which the evocative cover image also alludes to. Apart from the well-known 'Isle of the Dead' the CD features 'The Rock', 'Prince Rostilav' which I thoroughly enjoyed, having never heard before, Caprice Bohemien and the 'Scherzo'; most of these work demonstrate characteristic gloom and melancholy which I find greatly appealing. All in all a very atmospheric and beautifully performed and recorded CD which I would thoroughly recommend. There is a lot of snobbish condescension in relation to Rachmaninov but he was a fine composer:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
Re: Rachmaninov's Rock
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 12:40:08 PM »
It sure has been an uneventful year in the thread: Sergei Rachmaninov (1873-1943)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: Rachmaninov's Rock
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 12:53:22 PM »
It sure has been an uneventful year in the thread: Sergei Rachmaninov (1873-1943)
Thanks. Odd that it did not come up on the list of threads. Have now transferred my comments to it so perhaps one of the moderators would kindly delete this thread.  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).