Composers who died young

Started by rhomboid, May 13, 2011, 08:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhomboid

... or relatively young, talent scattered. Contribute to the list.  :)

Joaquin Beristain (1817- 1839), mexican composer, cellist an pianist. His overture La Primavera:

http://www.youtube.com/v/JxTn3zVF028

Mirror Image

One of my favorite composers that died way too young was Lili Boulanger. She showed enormous potential and during her short life composed some very stellar works, especially for choir and orchestra.

Luke

We've had a thread like this before, I think - all sorts of interesting names cropped up. The one I always mention, because he was pretty incredible, was Alexander Scriabin's son Julian, who died whilst still a young boy (11 IIRC), but who showed superb talent in the few works he wrote - piano pieces in the vein of his father's early-mid period style.

Scarpia

Bruckner.  Could have finished that damn ninth symphony.

Florestan

Norbert Burgmueller (1810-1836)
Juan Crisostomo Arriaga (1806-1826)
Vasily Kalinnikov (1866-1901)

All three composed great symphonies.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Archaic Torso of Apollo

The one I miss the most is Jan Vorisek (1791-1825), whose one and only symphony is better than most of Schubert's, and about as good as the first 2 Beethovens.

I don't really feel a sense of loss with guys like Mozart, Schubert and Mendelssohn, because they left so many masterpieces behind. But my feeling about Vorisek is that he was just getting started when he died.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Luke

Thomas Linley is the other one that always springs to my mind - the 'English Mozart' He was, in fact, Mozart's exact contemporary, close friend and fellow pupil, a hugely talented figure who died young, much younger than Mozart himself, in a boating accident.

Drasko

Alexei Stanchinsky and George Butterworth.

Luke

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: James on May 13, 2011, 09:56:06 AM
Purcell,Mozart,Schubert,Berg,Webern,Zappa

Berg died at 50. I think we can safely move him to the "Composers who died in middle-age" thread.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Velimir on May 13, 2011, 10:04:31 AM
The one I miss the most is Jan Vorisek (1791-1825), whose one and only symphony is better than most of Schubert's, and about as good as the first 2 Beethovens. . . . . My feeling about Vorisek is that he was just getting started when he died.

Absolutely! that symphony is exceptional. Have you found any other of his works to match it?
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

mgendron

Mieczyslaw Karlowicz, (1876-1909) died from an avalanche. If you like Strauss and german tone poem go get this guy.

petrarch

- Pergolesi
- Grisey, Maderna (though both were in their early 50s)
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Coco

Claude Vivier, murdered at 35, was a student of Stockhausen and wrote some highly unique music.

Jehan Alain is one of the most interesting of these "what-if?" cases — an organist with a unique harmonic use whose heavy modality seems to prefigure Messiaen. He was killed during combat WWII — but not before taking out more than a dozen German soldiers by himself with a single pistol.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Coco on May 13, 2011, 05:42:02 PMClaude Vivier, murdered at 35, was a student of Stockhausen and wrote some highly unique music.

I need to explore some of Vivier's music as I heard it is quite good. Wasn't he a Spectralist?

Octo_Russ

Schubert!, he was only 31, i've always wondered what he would have done next, i'm sure he would have started writing Piano Concertos, or maybe he would have just fizzled out, we'll never know.
I'm a Musical Octopus, I Love to get a Tentacle in every Genre of Music. http://octoruss.blogspot.com/

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on May 13, 2011, 01:57:15 PM
Absolutely! that symphony is exceptional. Have you found any other of his works to match it?

Can't say I have, but then I haven't looked very hard. I've got his Mass on the same disc as the symphony, but haven't given it a careful listen. I did hear snippets of V's piano music, which impressed me; but I didn't explore further. I do want to dig into the piano music at some point.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

The new erato

All of you contemplating becoming composers, please note. It's a very hazardeous occupation!

abidoful

-Chopin. Died at 39.
After his start in late 1820's Warsaw with chamber music and orchestral works he composed almost solely for solopiano in the 1830's, but in the light of his sketches from late 1840's was making plans for an orchestral work and for more chamber stuf including a violin sonata.
-Toivo Kuula. Died at 35 two weeks after he was shot in the head. Intriquinf, passionate late romantic music with a serious intent to develop a new style of impressionism wich he never quite realised. His name means a bullit in finnish btw (KUULA: BULLIT )
- Ernst Mielck: Died at 22. Pupil of Bruch. First professional Finnish symphony.
- Heikki Suolahti. Died in a boat accident at 16. Wrote a symphony.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: James on May 13, 2011, 06:21:00 PM
50 is young, too soon in my book ..

I've got the same book.

I'll mention Albéric Magnard, died age 49 defending (heroically or stupidly, depending on your point of view) his property against German cavalry in 1914.

Mahler, age 50.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"