Scots Johns Screenwriting Antics.

Started by mahler10th, May 17, 2011, 07:39:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahler10th

Later on today or perhaps tomorrow morning I embark on a very public mission, to bring the story of Hans Rott to the public on Youtube.

Short videos released hopefully daily will reveal me yapping about the Hans Rott Screenplay and revealing what I'm up to with it and what is happening in it, etc.  For anyone who doesn't know, probably most, Cato has been absoloutely instrumental in keeping me on this project.  Cato, in the spring of LAST year, provided me with translations, pictures, snippets...I mean, Cato provided me with damn near EVERYTHING I could ever have dreamed of to make this work!  Since then it has went through all manner of writing and re-writing, ditching, throwing and flooding, but the time has come to reverse my own trend and make a commitment to its completion like never before.

Anyway, I will repost here later or tomorrow with a link to the first video.    :D

karlhenning

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Cato

Maybe the BBC will notice, or even better, ORF!

And we don't mean Carl ORF!   :o
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

ibanezmonster

mahler10th

Ach!  I am now back online, and will most certainly post a youtube link here in a wee while as things have developed... :D

Cato

Quote from: John of Glasgow on June 06, 2011, 04:27:12 PM
Ach! I am now back online, and will most certainly post a youtube link here in a wee while as things have developed... :D

Yay Team!

For those of you out there who love it when a Scotsman uses the word "wee," I offer the word "twee."   :o

"Twee" means delicate, daintily fragile, or even sentimental to a syrupy degree.    :-*
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

mahler10th

Okay, I knew this wouldn't be workable.  The last Hans Rott video I made above has infringed German copyright and not viewable in that country.  Understandable given its heavily mined content.  The one before that is so dreadful that it embarasses me.  (As a matter of fact, they both make me cringe).  I have decided not to pursue this dreadful publicity stunt any more.
It is better that I stick to writing and enjoying music, leave all the other stuff to publicists.
It is a bit of a bugger for one who is so intensely private to publicly splash out as I have done, but the process has seemingly interfered with my own wee internal logics to the extent that it is bothering me wholesomely.  I have always been the type to write in lofts and mountains...not in Public View.  I thought the publicizing of things may help things along, but unfortunately my artistic disposition does not lend well to public frontage, and I cannot go further with it.  The good news, on the other hand, is:
I will make a couple of more posts here.  One to say the agent has it and another to tell you when the shooting dates are!   :) :D

karlhenning

It was most brave of you, John. Even the attempt is a kind of triumph!

mahler10th

Dear GMG'ers, especially Cato,
Today I printed off the entire first draft, and associated reports that will be useful in the revisions.  The fun starts now, I love this bit, where I rove through it with highlighters and red ink with a notebook beside me, changing, re-arranging, deleting, adding, etc.... It is by far my favourire part of the writing process; like a few writers, I love the writing, but it is dogged and wretched most of the time, unless on the rare occassion it comes freely.  The f*$£&ing thing has been over two years in the making, I have stopped many times, restarted many times, trashed many times, got hoarse with swearing many times...but at last the first draft is completed, albeit some scenes in the wrong order etc, but I can wholly and safely report for the first time in many years I have GOT TO THE END of it, and that is only the beginning!  The revisions, etc, are a pleasure, I don't mind sorting wheat from chaff, adding and detracting - all these things are necessary to make it fully rounded, fully shootable and eminently distributable.  It will be done and doing the rounds in about three weeks, given my love for editing!  Like I've said before, thank you in particular to Cato, whos input with some research and even translations and pictures has been nothing short of invaluable.  I mean that in the most sincere way.  I am sorry I have offended many people in the process, going off my nut about certain composers (Schoenberg in particular, someone had to get the blame for my bad times!), sometimes posting things which may be considered inappropriate or unusual...this screenplay has driven me to distraction, even when I wasn't doing the writing of it...really!  The relief which has erupted in me after actually printing it ready for the edit has been palpable, and the whole %&£*^ing process has taught me a great deal about myself...

**Bows to assembled GMG'ers, bows especially to Cato on the balcony, and exits stage left, hopping and bouncing in Rott like madness**

BTW, it was finished and printed to the sounds of Schoenberg - can you believe it?

karlhenning

J.Z. Herrenberg

Congratulations, John. I am curious.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

ibanezmonster