Best modern Brahms symphony 4?

Started by Bruckner is God, May 19, 2011, 03:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruckner is God

What is your recommandation for a modern Brahms 4?
The only recording I have is the Sanderling/SD, which I like very much, but I feel I need a few more recordings of this marvellous work.

Florestan

Karajan / BPO (early '60 recordings)

Solti / CSO

I've heard praises being sung of Haitink / Concertgebow, but haven't listened myself.

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

mc ukrneal

Kleiber/VPO is considered by many to be the benchmark. It is was recorded in the early 80's if I remember correctly.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Florestan

Quote from: mc ukrneal on May 19, 2011, 04:14:16 AM
Kleiber/VPO is considered by many to be the benchmark. It is was recorded in the early 80's if I remember correctly.

How is it?
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Florestan on May 19, 2011, 04:15:19 AM
How is it?
Excellent. I didn't want to go on and on about it as I seem to recall a long discussion of it in the Archives.

EDIT: This is probably the thread I was thinking about: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,7802.0.html
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Daverz

Reiner/RPO.  Recorded by Ken Wilkinson in Walthamstow Town Hall.

Lethevich

Good lord, some of those recordings are ancient ;)

Janowski with Pittsburgh on PentaTone I was tempted to call shockingly good, but Janowski has been producing many phenomonal recordings recently and so it should perhaps come as no surprise. He takes a rock solid approach to the piece, with (to me) an ideal combination of heart and lucid underlining of the work's tight structure, leading a performance of great robustness and dynamism (but without trying to push too much of a 'concept' on the piece). PentaTone have given the recording some very fine audio engineering - the orchestra sounds stunning.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Scarpia

Quote from: Florestan on May 19, 2011, 04:01:46 AM
Karajan / BPO (early '60 recordings)

This is actually my favorite.  He takes the first movement at an unusually slow tempo (uncharacteristic for Karajan) and allows events to unfold in a strikingly vivid fashion.   The Janowski Pentatone series is also superb (the second symphony my favorite from that cycle).  I also like Kertesz/VPO on Decca.

Bruckner is God

Thanks for the recommandations so far.
What about Jochum's recordings? Maybe not excactly new, but I've heard good things about his versions. I see he recorded the whole cycle twice, with the Vienna Philharmonic and with the London Philharmonic.

Scarpia

Quote from: Bruckner is God on May 19, 2011, 06:13:57 AM
Thanks for the recommandations so far.
What about Jochum's recordings? Maybe not excactly new, but I've heard good things about his versions. I see he recorded the whole cycle twice, with the Vienna Philharmonic and with the London Philharmonic.

The London Philharmonic recordings are very fast, energetic, and a bit sloppy, to my ears.

DavidW

Jochum!?  I thought you asked for modern! ;D  If that's the case try Carlos Kleiber

[asin]B000006NXP[/asin]

Bruckner is God

Quote from: haydnfan on May 19, 2011, 06:19:48 AM
Jochum!?  I thought you asked for modern! ;D  If that's the case try Carlos Kleiber

[asin]B000006NXP[/asin]

I've heard the Kleiber,   but it wasn't my cup of tea. I don't quite know why. Maybe a bit too polished?

DavidW

Oh you prefer live recordings?  That's a fun, interesting twist on the recs. :)

Brian

Quote from: Bruckner is God on May 19, 2011, 06:23:13 AMMaybe a bit too polished?

Try James Levine's Chicago cycle on RCA. The complete symphony cycle is available on 4 CDs for about 15 euros or $20 depending on where you are (you also get Piano Concerto No 1 and a German Requiem), and in symphonies 1 and 4 Levine really lets his hair down. Which, given how much hair James Levine has, is saying a lot. Pretty good '70s RCA sound.

Todd

What is meant by "modern"?  I'll just assume it's a desire for good sound, so I'd suggest:

Also, I've not yet heard Giulini's VPO recording, though I have every reason to believe it is excellent.  Fortunately, it's being reissued on a budget label.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Bruckner is God on May 19, 2011, 06:13:57 AM

Jochum's first cycle is with Berlin, not Vienna. It's excellent, very lively performances. Recorded in the 1950s, which means mono; but generally very good mono. (No repeats, so it fits conveniently on 2 discs.)
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Xenophanes

Quote from: Daverz on May 19, 2011, 04:33:55 AM
Reiner/RPO.  Recorded by Ken Wilkinson in Walthamstow Town Hall.

I'll second that! Very taut, very warm performances, and first class recording. Wonderful.

http://www.amazon.com/Brahms-Symphony-Beethoven-Egmont-Overture/dp/B000003GCQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1305831834&sr=1-1

Mn Dave

Quote from: Xenophanes on May 19, 2011, 11:08:59 AM
I'll second that! Very taught, very warm performances, and first class recording. Wonderful.

http://www.amazon.com/Brahms-Symphony-Beethoven-Egmont-Overture/dp/B000003GCQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1305831834&sr=1-1

Yes, very fine. And haven't worried about purchasing another version since I obtained it.

Mandryka

The best recent performance I have heard is Harnoncourt's BPO.

You need to hear Mengelberg and Furtwangler -- at the very least on youtube, so you can decide whether these extraordinary interpretations suit you. I think they are  two of the greatest records of anything ever.

I also like  Max Fiedler, Kempe, Weingartner, Klemperer, Toscanini.

Kempe with BBC preferably.

Has anyone heard Mackerras and Gardiner or Abbado?

Surely  someone has found a good HIP one here
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

zauberharfe

I agree with Mandryka, the Furtwängler (and Mengelberg, De Sabata) version are the best chioces, if you don't insist particularly on 'modern'. Carlos Kleiber is also excellent he has at least 7 Brahms#4 recordings with various orchestras, of which the famous one on DG is far from being the best.

I haven't heard Harnoncourt yet, but I'll give it a try someday soon.