Ernst Krenek, such a discovery!

Started by Harry, April 10, 2007, 05:50:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SymphonicAddict

Today I began listening to his string quartets (1 & 2 for now). Dissonantly rewarding I thought. Not as challenging as the Carter ones, but they are so meaty, there is much to enjoy and several listens will be necessary to extract their juice.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: snyprrr on May 14, 2013, 06:20:34 AM
btw- no one has commented on that fact that Krenek's FACE is arid!!!!!!!Yoww!!!! His face looks like Sibelius's 4th!!

I know this user is not here anymore, but this comment made me laugh!  :laugh:

aligreto

Krenek: Concerto Grosso No. 2 op.25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBoGQ_AbA9o

I was recently introduced to the music of Ernst Krenek by a fellow member here. This is my first foray into this composer's music.

I like the musical language of this Krenek work. It is interesting, engaging and challenging for me, which is always a good mix. I also like the scoring and the orchestral textures of the work. 
I like the staccato nature of the opening movement, Allegro molto moderato e pesante. The second movement, Adagio, has a wonderful, magical, dream-like or other worldly feel to it. The third movement, Allegro comodo, reverts to the sparse musical language and tone of the opening movement which I find engaging. The fourth movement, Andante, quasi adagio, has the appeal and textures of an enhanced and wonderful string quartet movement. It is really a very engaging piece of musical writing. The final movement, Allegro, is a spirited piece of writing. The middle section of the movement is well contrasted with the outer sections. I liked this work.

I will definitely explore more of Krenek's work.

Lisztianwagner

I listened to Krenek's Symphony No.1 (very first listen to this composer's music too) and I appreciated it very much, it's an intriguing, captivating work; it seems to reminds a little of Schönberg's non-tonal phase for the strong harmonic contrasts and the tense, somber atmosphere, though neither powerfully overwhelming nor frightfully dissonant as Schönberg; more retained, but quite angular and restless anyway. It has a solid, cohesive structure, with all the melodic lines brilliantly transposed and developed which flows without solution of continuity, as a single-block form, despite the irregular rhythms, fragmented at some points, and changes of dynamics; there's a fine timbric variety and a very nice use of the ostinato, especially in a passage of the sixth seciton with a thrilling whirlwind of strings, which leads the way to an intense climax suddenly broken in a roll of drums, very striking. I'll continue to explore Krenek and go on with the rest of the symphonies, I've been said he used a very various style through the decades, so it will be interesting to listen to the differences.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler