Ernst Krenek, such a discovery!

Started by Harry, April 10, 2007, 05:50:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

It started all with the SQ I bought on MDG, and now with the Symphonies.
I simply adore this composer, diving deeper and deeper into 20th century music.
I would like to have some chambermusic recommendations if possible, and discuss this composer.
More admireres on the board?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Krenek

Harry

Ernst Krenek

Harry

And the last I have!

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Krenek's 2nd Symphony is an amazing and gripping piece. I have long suspected it provided the template for Shostakovich's 4th - there are a lot of similarities.

Unfortunately nothing else I've heard from Krenek has made a comparable impression on me.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Harry

Quote from: Spitvalve on April 10, 2007, 06:07:09 AM
Krenek's 2nd Symphony is an amazing and gripping piece. I have long suspected it provided the template for Shostakovich's 4th - there are a lot of similarities.

Unfortunately nothing else I've heard from Krenek has made a comparable impression on me.

Thanks for this, amazing and gripping it is. So much so, that I keep coming back to it. :)

springrite

Thanks to the Southwest Chamber Music Society when I lived in SoCal, I attended several Krenek concerts, including several world premieres, and met the composer once. Krenek is an incredible composer. It is almost impossible to pin him down to any particular style or school. Even at 90, he kept growing artistically. It is incredible!

From what I have heard, I much prefer his chamber music to his orchestral ones. The vocal music is good as well.

For what I heard in concert, look for an Orfeo CD or two, performed by the Southwest Chamber Music Society. For his piano music, the recording by Douglas Madge or by Maria Yudina are both good for my taste.

Harry

Quote from: springrite on April 10, 2007, 06:46:56 AM
Thanks to the Southwest Chamber Music Society when I lived in SoCal, I attended several Krenek concerts, including several world premieres, and met the composer once. Krenek is an incredible composer. It is almost impossible to pin him down to any particular style or school. Even at 90, he kept growing artistically. It is incredible!

From what I have heard, I much prefer his chamber music to his orchestral ones. The vocal music is good as well.

For what I heard in concert, look for an Orfeo CD or two, performed by the Southwest Chamber Music Society. For his piano music, the recording by Douglas Madge or by Maria Yudina are both good for my taste.

Thanks my friend I will take a peak at Orfeo. Nice info you shared!

S709

Quote from: Spitvalve on April 10, 2007, 06:07:09 AM

I thought that was Gavriil Popov's Symphony no. 1... but this Krenek work is something I still need to hear and that's as good an incentive as any!

springrite

Indeed the string quartets, which Harry started with, are probably the best place to start for Krenek discovery. From the almost Schubertian 5th to the 12 tone 6th to the eclectic 8th (multiple styles with quotations and references to previous quartets), they are, roughly speaking, benchmark works in Krenek's almost 80 year compositional career.

I still have not heard any of Krenek's operas. Shame on me.

Wait, I did hear Jonny. It is Karl V that I missed.

Todd

I find Krenek to be hit and miss for me.  I have the Lothar Zagrosek led version of the Second Symphony, and while there are some intriguing parts to it, I find it too long and not involving enough. 

The Fifth and Eighth string quartets on the now defunct CRI label are more uniformly interesting, and widely different, though I can't say that he's anywhere near my favorite composers in this genre.

I've also heard the Orfeo Karl V and rather enjoyed it's dense, knotty, uncompromising sound and vision.  Jonny spielt auf has some wonderful musical moments and novel dramatic conceits, but it's not substantive enough for its length and warrants rare listens. 

I probably should give more of his chamber music a try, now that I think about it.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

UB

I picked up my first Krenek LP about 35 years ago and continue to enjoy him today.

However, unlike Todd, I found that Karl V was a real disappointment. Especially when I waited years after hearing an orchestral work - I think it is called Pieces of Karl V but I am too far from my collection to check - that was taken from the opera.

I agree with Paul that Krenek's chamber work is a must listen - I think his piano sonatas with Madge playing are some of the best of the 20th century - but there is little of his work that I would not suggest.

BTW Paul those Southwest Chamber recordings are being offered for $50 to $100 per on Amazon.
I am not in the entertainment business. Harrison Birtwistle 2010

Harry

Well that settles it, that is too much money I think!

springrite

Quote from: UB on April 11, 2007, 02:21:03 AM

BTW Paul those Southwest Chamber recordings are being offered for $50 to $100 per on Amazon.

Good thing I picked them up for $6.99 at BRO when I had a chance, then!

Harry

Quote from: springrite on April 11, 2007, 05:28:42 AM
Good thing I picked them up for $6.99 at BRO when I had a chance, then!

What blessing befalls you! ;D

71 dB

hhmmm... someday I might explore Krenek...

There's so many composers it's hopeless!
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Harry

Never ever start thinking in that line my friend. I never do and it fares me well! 8)

71 dB

Quote from: Harry on April 11, 2007, 06:27:30 AM
Never ever start thinking in that line my friend. I never do and it fares me well! 8)

Well, you don't need to think that way Harry. You can just buy whatever you want. Orders of 800 CDs are just impossible for me.

Let me put this into perspective: You just spend 10.000 euros into CDs. I earned (before unembloyment) 12.871,83 euros before taxes last year. I also got 2.065,40 worth of social security. So, my incomes last year were 14.937,23 euros before taxes. Taxes are 1.952,05 euros. So, my netto incomes last years were about 13.000 euros.

My rent in 506,91 euros/month = 6.082,92 euros/year.
Internet connection: 25,00 euros/month x 12 months = 300 euros/year
Electricity: 180 euros/year
Food: 1.200 euros/year
etc.

If I don't get a job soon this year will be a total financial catastrophe compared to the "good" last year.

So, unlike you I am struggling.

Harry

Quote from: 71 dB on April 11, 2007, 06:49:56 AM
Well, you don't need to think that way Harry. You can just buy whatever you want. Orders of 800 CDs are just impossible for me.

Let me put this into perspective: You just spend 10.000 euros into CDs. I earned (before unembloyment) 12.871,83 euros before taxes last year. I also got 2.065,40 worth of social security. So, my incomes last year were 14.937,23 euros before taxes. Taxes are 1.952,05 euros. So, my netto incomes last years were about 13.000 euros.

My rent in 506,91 euros/month = 6.082,92 euros/year.
Internet connection: 25,00 euros/month x 12 months = 300 euros/year
Electricity: 180 euros/year
Food: 1.200 euros/year
etc.

If I don't get a job soon this year will be a total financial catastrophe compared to the "good" last year.

So, unlike you I am struggling.

Well to put matters into perspective, I too have to save money. For this project for a year I have laid aside every penny, to purchase those 800 cd's.
So I cannot buy whatever I want. And if you have that impression its not right. 10 years ago I was in the same position as you, so I know what you feel!
I know how hard this situation is for you.
I cannot give you money, but I will gladly lend from time to time a few things I bought.

71 dB

Quote from: Harry on April 11, 2007, 06:59:35 AM
Well to put matters into perspective, I too have to save money. For this project for a year I have laid aside every penny, to purchase those 800 cd's.
So I cannot buy whatever I want. And if you have that impression its not right. 10 years ago I was in the same position as you, so I know what you feel!
I know how hard this situation is for you.
I cannot give you money, but I will gladly burn from time to time a few things I bought.

Yeah, it certainly takes time to save 10.000 euros. Why did you make one megaorder? I want to keep buying on monthly basis even if it means just a few CDs per month.

Don't worry about me Harry. I'm okay. Just explaining why I can't explore 100 new composers here and now.  ;)

Harry

Quote from: 71 dB on April 11, 2007, 07:36:40 AM
Yeah, it certainly takes time to save 10.000 euros. Why did you make one megaorder? I want to keep buying on monthly basis even if it means just a few CDs per month.

Don't worry about me Harry. I'm okay. Just explaining why I can't explore 100 new composers here and now.  ;)

To get a large discount my friend! :)