Boris Papandopulo (1906. - 1991.)

Started by bob_cart, August 01, 2015, 10:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob_cart

Boris Papandopulo was a Croatian composer born in Bad Honnef in Germany. He was the son of a Greek nobleman and a Croatian opera singer. He studied conducting in Vienna (Austria) and before that composition in Zagreb (Croatia) where he spent most of his life.

I thought I'd share a Croatian composer here on the forums in order to give the Croatian music scene some publicity. He is considered, and probably was Croatia's best composer. He wrote around 440 pieces, but the number of recordings is sadly, very small. I'd personally recommend listening to his xylophone concerto for starters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSOgHxtmSBE If you like it just a little bit I recommend looking up some of his other works. I'd love to hear some praise and/or critique. Cheers!

vandermolen

This is most enjoyable and just released.
Last movement of PC 3 v much in the Gershwin/populist Bernstein mould. Busoni's PC came to mind at the start and admirers of Rachmaninov/Prokofiev (especially Prokofiev I think) may well enjoy this epic work. Beautifully recorded and performed.
[asin]B01MZFABTB[/asin]
I think that it's very magnanimous of me to be promoting this music in view of England's recent World Cup experience.
8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Daverz

I've enjoyed the PC #3 many times already. 

According to Wikipedia: "counting cca 460 works"(!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Papandopulo

There's also a disc with the PC #2:

[asin]B00L5TEMFE[/asin]

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on July 23, 2018, 04:58:47 AM
I've enjoyed the PC #3 many times already. 

According to Wikipedia: "counting cca 460 works"(!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Papandopulo

There's also a disc with the PC #2:

[asin]B00L5TEMFE[/asin]

I've just received it. The middle movement sounds glorious in the sample I heard on Amazon. Hope to report back later.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Scion7

He was a prolific lad:

orchestral
Dozivanje kiše [Call for the Rain], Symphony  poem, 1925 (composed/published)
Phantasy, piano, orch, 1930 (composed/published)
Symphony  no.1, 1930 (composed/published)
Sinfonietta, str, 1938 (composed/published)
Violin Conc., 1943 (composed/published)
piano Conc. no.1, 1944 (composed/published)
Symphony  no.2, 1946 (composed/published)
piano Conc. no.2, 1947 (composed/published)
Kolo druga Tita [Comrade Tito's Reel-Dance], Symphony  variations, 1948 (composed/published)
Praeludium, 1949 (composed/published)
Concertino, trumpet, timpani, str, 1950 (composed/published)
Koncertna uvertira [Ov. Concertante], 1951 (composed/published)
Poema o Neretvi [The Poem of the Neretva], Symphony  poem, 1951 (composed/published)
Divertimento, str, 1953 (composed/published)
Bassoon Conc., 1958 (composed/published)
Vrzino kolo [Witch's Reel-Dance], Symphony  scherzo, piano, orch, 1958 (composed/published)
piano Conc. no.3, 1959 (composed/published)
Harpsichord Conc., 1962 (composed/published)
Boje i kontrasti [Colours and Contrasts], variations, 1963 (composed/published)
Concert Music, fl, hp, str, perc, 1965 (composed/published)
Double-Bass Concerto, 1968 (composed/published)
Marche arabe symphonique, 1968 (composed/published)
4 Timpani Conc., 1969 (composed/published)
U početku bijaše ritam [In the Beginning there was Rhythm], 1969 (composed/published)
Conc. grosso I, wind qnt, perc, str, 1971 (composed/published)
Hommage à Bach, 1973 (composed/published)
Pintarichiana, str, 1974 (composed/published)
Pop-Conc., 2 piano, orch, 1974 (composed/published)
Per aspera ad astra, org, orch, 1976 (composed/published)
Mali concert [Little Conc.], piccolo, orch, 1977 (composed/published)
Double Conc., Violin, cello, orch, 1978 (composed/published)
Concertino, oboe, orch, 1981 (composed/published)
Clarinet Conc., 1982 (composed/published)
Trombone Conc., 1983 (composed/published)
Xylophone Conc., 1983 (composed/published)
Mali concert, piano, str, 1983 (composed/published)
Sinfonia brevis, 1984 (composed/published)
Svečana uvertira [Solemn Ov.], 1985 (composed/published)
Triple Conc., oboe, clarinet, bassoon, str, 1986 (composed/published)
Double Conc., oboe, xylophone, str, 1987 (composed/published)
Saxophone Conc., 1987 (composed/published)
Conc. grosso II, wind qnt, str, 1990

chamber music
6 string quartets: op.7, 1927 (composed/published)
op,20, 1931 (composed/published)
op.126, Nr.1 1945 (composed/published)
Nr.2 1950 (composed/published)
Nr.3 1970 (composed/published) 1983
Suite, op.12, vn, pn, 1929;
Concertino in modo antico, pn, cello, 2 vns, 1935;
Introduzione, arioso e danza, op.78, cello, piano, 1938 (composed/published)
Quintet, op.90, clarinet, str qt, 1940 (composed/published)
Mala suita [Little Suite], wind trio, 1949 (composed/published)
Phantasy, Violin, piano, 1950 (composed/published)
3 Studies, Violin, piano, 1950 (composed/published)
3 Movts, wind quintet, 1954 (composed/published)
Sonata, va, piano, 1956 (composed/published)
3 Movts hp, 1960 (composed/published)
Elegy, bassoon, piano, 1965 (composed/published)
Razgover ugodni [A Pleasant Conversation], fl, hpd, 1969 (composed/published)
Mali koncert [Little Conc.], wind quintet, 1971 (composed/published)
5 Studies, 2 Violin, 1972 (composed/published)
Sextet, 2 Violin, viola, cello, double-bass, piano, 1974 (composed/published)
3 Dialogues, Violin, double-bass, 1974 (composed/published)
In modo antico preludium and fugue, piano trio, 1975 (composed/published)
Monologue, Violin, 1976 (composed/published)
Passacaglia, organ, 1977 (composed/published)
Toccata cromatica, org, 1977 (composed/published)
Quartet, guitar, Violin, viola, cello, 1977 (composed/published)
Scherzo, bassoon, piano, 1978 (composed/published)
Sonata, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, guitar, 1982 (composed/published)
Lyrical Trio, pn, vn, cello, 1982;
Prelude, horn, organ, 1982 (composed/published)
Wind Octet, 1985 (composed/published)
Suite, harpsichord, 1986 (composed/published)
Chamber Conc., Violin, wind quintet, 1986 (composed/published)
Papandopulijada, Violin, viola, piano, 1986 (composed/published)
Meditation, Violin, piano, 1987 (composed/published)
Trio, trumpet, horn, trombone, 1987 (composed/published)
Rapsodia concertante, cello, piano, 1987 (composed/published)
Trio, fl, bassoon, piano, 1987 (composed/published)
Sonata, Violin, piano, 1988 (composed/published)
Preludij, organ, 1990 (composed/published)
Legenda, horn, harp, 1990 (composed/published)
Igra u 2 [A Game for 2], oboe, vibraphone, 1990

Piano
Sonata no.1, 1929 (composed/published)
2 Preludes, 1930 (composed/published)
Partita, 1930 (composed/published)
Contradanza, 1931 (composed/published)
Igra (Scherzo fantastico), 1932 (composed/published)
Hrvatski tanac [Croatian Dance], c1934 (composed/published)
Sonatina, 1942 (composed/published)
Mali koncert [Little Conc.], 1945 (composed/published)
Sonata no.2, a, 1951–2 (composed/published)
8 Studies, 1956 (composed/published)
Dodekafonski koncert, 2 piano, 1960 (composed/published)
Plesna suita [Dance Suite], piano 4-hands, 1968 (composed/published)
'10×1', 1989 (composed/published)

... quite a bit of vocal works
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Symphonic Addict

Looking forward to this release:

There are five numbered SQs (1-3, 5 and 6) on this recording, the No. 4 is apparently lost.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Interesting to read that he also composed symphonies. I want to listen to them someday.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Scion7

I can't read, let alone speak, Serbo-Croatian, so the biographies are out the bloody window!  Have to make do with liner notes and the New Grove.

vocal
Cantatas.: Slavoslovje [Laudamus] (Bible), S, A, T, B, SATB, orch, 1926–7 (composed/published)
Stojanka, Majka Knežopojka [Stojanka, Mother of Knež-polje] (S. Kulenović), S, SATB, orch, 1950 (composed/published)
Ustanici [Rebels] (H. Humo), SATB, orch, 1951 (composed/published)
Oranje Kraljevića Marka [Prince Marko's Ploughing] (A. Muradbegović), S, A, T, B, SATB, orch, 1956 (composed/published)
Legende o drugu Titu [Legends about Comrade Tito] (V. Nazor), S, Mez, A, Bar, spkr, SATB, 2 fl, 3 trp, perc, 1960 (composed/published)
Konjanik [Horserider] (J. Kaštelan), Bar, chbr ens, 1961, Borbena kantata [Warriors' Cant.] (P. Cindrić), spkr, S, A, T, B, SATB, orch, 1961 (composed/published)
Srce od ognja [Heart of Fire] (Kaštelan), Mez, Bar, SATB, orch, 1965 (composed/published)
Ruke prema noći [Hands Extended to the Night] (N. Turkalj), children's chorus, SATB, orch, 1968 (composed/published)
Gospi od Zdravlja [To Virgin Mary of the Health], S, T, SATB, orch, 1971 (composed/published)
Istarske freske iz Berma [Istrian Frescoes from Beram] (V. Fajdetić), SATB, orch, 1973 (composed/published) Libertas (S. Stražičić) B, SATB, orch, 1974 (composed/published)

Credo: Legenda o mojoj zemlji [Credo: a Legend about my Homeland] (I. Krajač), S, A, T, B, spkr, children's chorus, 2 SATB, orch, 1975 (composed/published)
PodneViolina simfonija [Midday Symphony ] (M. Krleža), S, A, T, B, SATB, 1980 (composed/published)
Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro (L. Paljetak), S, SATB, orch, 1981 (composed/published)
Varaždinska rapsodija [Varaždin Rhapsody] (G. Krklec, Z. Milković), A, B, SATB, orch, 1981 (composed/published) Pohvala DubroVioliniku [Praise to DubroViolinik] (L. Paljetak), B, SATB, orch, 1983 (composed/published)
Oda Križaniću [Ode to Krizanić] (I. Golub), T, SATB, 1983 (composed/published)
Ep o sloboeodi [Epos about the Freedom] (B. Karakaš), S, A, T, B, children's chorus, orch, 1985 (composed/published)
Mile Gojsalica (J. Marušić), S, B, SATB, org, str, 1985 (composed/published)
Jubilate, T, SATB, orch, 1985 (composed/published)
Carmen Boscovichianum (V. Rabadan), S, A, T, Bar, B, org, 1987 (composed/published)
Himna suncu [Hymn to the Sun] (L. Paljetak), Bar, SATB, orch, 1987 (composed/published)
Pri sv. Kralju [At the Tri Kralja] (A.G. Matoš), T, SATB, orch, 1990 (composed/published)

Sacred: Pokoj vječni I [Requiem I], TB, 1930 (composed/published)
Pokoj vječni II, TB, 1935 (composed/published)
Muka gospodina našega Isukrsta (po Ivanu) [Passion of our Lord Jesus (according to St John)] S, A, T, B, TB, 1936 (composed/published)
Ps ii, T, TB, 1936 (composed/published)
Hrvatska misa [Croatian Mass], d, S, A, T, B, SATB, 1939 (composed/published)
Osorski requiem [Osor Requiem] (medieval Croatian), S, A, T, B, SATB, org, perc, sopele, elec gui, 1977 (composed/published)
Osorski misterij [Osor Misterium] (songbook from Osor, 1530), S, A, T, B, SATB, orch, 1977–8 (composed/published)
Poljička pučka misa [The Poljice Mass] (trad. text), SATB, org, 1983 (composed/published)
Ps cv, SATB, 1987  (composed/published)

Svatovske [Wedding Songs] (trad. ritual, folk texts), S, SATB, 1924 (composed/published)
Utva zlatokrila [Gold-winged Swan] (V. Nazor), S, A, T, B, SATB, 1932 (composed/published)
Dodolice (trad. ritual, folk texts), S, SA, piano, 1932 (composed/published)
LjubaVioline pjesme [Songs of Love] TB, before 1934 (composed/published)
Ps cxxxxviii, SA, 1936  (composed/published)

Conc. da camera, S, Violin, 7 wind insts, piano, 1929 (composed/published)
Pjesma ljubavi [Song of Love], cycle, S, piano, 1930 (composed/published)
Čakavska suita [Čakavian suite] (D. Gervais), lv, piano, 1955 (composed/published)
Hochzeitsgesang (H. Heine), Bar, org, 1978 (composed/published)
3 balade Petrice Kerempuha, S, eng hn, hp, 1978 (composed/published)
Poema o Mostaru [The Poem about Mostar] (H. Humo and A. Šantić), Symphony  poem, B, orch, 1980 (composed/published)

stage works
Zlato [Gold] (pantomime-ballet with singing, B. Pečić), Zagreb, 31 May 1930 (composed/published)
Amfitrion (comic op, M. Štimac and E. Golisciani, after Molière), Zagreb, 17 Feb 1940 (composed/published) Sunčanica [The Sun-Flower Girl] (romantic op, M. Šoljačić, after I. Gundulić), Zagreb, 13 June 1942 (composed/published) Žetva [Harvest] (ballet, N. Kirsanova), Sarajevo, 25 March 1950 (composed/published) Intermezzo (ballet, F. Horvat), Sarajevo, 25 May 1953 (composed/published) Rona (op, F. Delak, after A. Leskovac), Rijeka, 25 May 1955 (composed/published) Beatrice Cenci (ballet, F. Reyna), Zagreb, 11 March 1963 (composed/published) Džentlemen i lopov [Gentleman and Thee] (comic op, A. Aranicki, after B. Nusić), Split, 12 April 1974 (composed/published) Gitanella (ballet, N. Turkalj), 1966, unperf. (composed/published) Dr Atom (Q+H3+H2=He4+n+Q) (ballet, N. Fabrio), Rijeka, 29 Oct 1966 (composed/published) Menschen im Hotel/Ljudi u hotelu (ballet, P. Struck, after V. Baum), Vienna, 27 May 1967 (composed/published) Marulova pisan [Marul's Song] (festive music tableau, V. Rabadan), Split, 15 Aug 1970 (composed/published) Madame Buffault (fantastic op, P. Struck), 1972, unperf. (composed/published)
Kentervilski duh [The Canterville Ghost] (comic chbr op, N. Turkalj, after O. Wilde), Osijek, 5 June 1979 (composed/published)
Teuta (ballet, F. Horvat, after D. Demeter), Novi Sad, 10 April 1979 (composed/published)
3 kavalira gospođice Melanije [Miss Melanija's 3 Gallants] (ballet, B. Rakić, after M. Krleža), Zagreb, 19 April 1976 (composed/published)
Požar u operi [Fire at the Opera] (comic op, F. Hadžić), Zagreb, April 1983 (composed/published)
Kraljevo [Royal Fair] (ballet, J. Lešić, after Krleža), Zagreb, 13 Jan 1990 (composed/published)

along with incidental music and movie soundtrack music
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

relm1

Yikes, I just realized this is not the Armenian composer, Boris Parsadanian!  So I'll have to check out Boris Papandopulo.

Scion7

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 05, 2023, 05:14:19 PMThere are five numbered SQs (1-3, 5 and 6) on this recording, the No. 4 is apparently lost.

I believe A Song of Peace and Freedom Sounded Out (w/o opus) is considered a string quartet.

btw, apparently the Sebastian SQ had tackled a lot of these before a few years back on Croatian record labels ...

Scion7

Quote from: relm1 on December 06, 2023, 05:56:50 AMYikes, I just realized this is not the Armenian composer, Boris Parsadanian!
Yes, with that last name the other Armenian children would have beat him up on the playground ...

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Scion7 on December 08, 2023, 05:53:24 AMI believe A Song of Peace and Freedom Sounded Out (w/o opus) is considered a string quartet.

btw, apparently the Sebastian SQ had tackled a lot of these before a few years back on Croatian record labels ...

According to the booklet notes, the 4th SQ is lost. Well, at least we have 5 out of 6.

Noam Chomsky