Name that piece! The game

Started by DavidW, May 27, 2011, 09:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Let's have some fun.  We might have done this before, I can't recall.  Oh yeah and if you can think of a better title, let me know.

The Rules
Okay here are the rules: whoever has control post a clip no less than 20 seconds and more than 1 minute in duration (sharing such clips is considered fair use by Rob himself).  Each poster is allowed one guess, and the first to name the piece correctly gets control to then post a clip.  If you win, but are either unable or unwilling to post a clip then you can choose who you want to pass control to.

Here's the thing to not get stuck in a particular era, each clip must be in a different era from the one posted immediately before.  Also after several posts if no one can guess, then whoever posted the clip still retains control and posts another clip.  If any one poster has control for three consecutive rounds in a roll he must pass control to someone else.  These two rules ensure that we don't get stuck in a rut.

Please don't make it too easy (like the 1812 overture) or too hard (a recitative from Salieri's 37th opera).  Oh yeah you have to wait for the one with control to declare you the winner before you gain control and the next round begins.

How to Post a Clip
The mp3 function doesn't seem to work anymore, but 4shared still allows imbedded playing when you click on a link, so first step is go to http://www.4shared.com/ and create an account.
You should download and install Audacity, a program that will allow you to make a clip.  Go to http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/ and do so.
You need music on your pc, download and install itunes, eac, dbpoweramp, winamp pro etc and configure to import music as mp3, wav or flac.
Choose the mp3 file you want in audacity, and then choose the clip you want and trim it, export the file and upload to 4shared.  When you do this be sure to delete all tag info! as that would give it way and name the file something non-descriptive.  Go to file:///C:/Program%20Files%20%28x86%29/Audacity%201.3%20Beta%20%28Unicode%29/help/manual/man/tutorial_editing_an_existing_file/index.html after you've installed audacity for details on how to do that.  When you export it choose a constant bitrate somewhere in the range of 128-192 to be (a) compatible with all browsers and (b) not strain low speed connections.  Upload to 4shared which you will find when you login.

Let's Play

What piece is this?
A.mp3

Opus106

Is that programme music? Because I get the image of a violet and white cardboard box when I listen to the music. :D

P.S.: My computer doesn't have a C: drive. :P
Regards,
Navneeth

DavidW

Quote from: Opus106 on May 27, 2011, 12:34:00 PM
P.S.: My computer doesn't have a C: drive. :P

Well I don't think you need a tutorial in how to upload a clip of music Mr super computer dude. ;D

DavidW

Haha what?  Does it not load for you? :D

Brian

Loads for me. It's something from the 1700s classical-era heyday. The recording sounds analog and full 'romantic' orchestra, which means the music is famous enough for big-name artists to record it. Based on style and lightness, and your username ;) , I'd say a youthful Mozart serenade.

Scarpia

Quote from: mozartfan on May 27, 2011, 03:09:31 PM
Haha what?  Does it not load for you? :D

I see a little control with a play button in my browser window but it is unresponsive.

DavidW

Very warm Brian, I think I'll just give it to you as that will be as close as we'll get unless the super classical dudes come pouring in! ;D

It is Mozart's Posthorn Serenade, KV 320 the last of the Salzburg serenades.  And it is indeed performed by Mackerras and the Prague Chamber Orchestra.  The sound is warm and sounds analog, but surprisingly is digital.  It has that funny tubby sound from the acoustics that I believe drives Scarpia up the wall. ;D

Your turn, something other than classical era. :)

DavidW

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 27, 2011, 03:16:56 PM
I see a little control with a play button in my browser window but it is unresponsive.

What browser?  I'll have to look into this. :-\

Scarpia

Quote from: mozartfan on May 27, 2011, 03:20:09 PM
Very warm Brian, I think I'll just give it to you as that will be as close as we'll get unless the super classical dudes come pouring in! ;D

It is Mozart's Posthorn Serenade, KV 320 the last of the Salzburg serenades.  And it is indeed performed by Mackerras and the Prague Chamber Orchestra.  The sound is warm and sounds analog, but surprisingly is digital.  It has that funny tubby sound from the acoustics that I believe drives Scarpia up the wall. ;D

Your turn, something other than classical era. :)

If it is this recording

[asin]B000003CTI[/asin]

then you couldn't be more off on my audio preferences.  I've rarely heard a Telarc recording that wasn't superb, and the ones with Mackerras and the Prague Chamber orchestra are particularly outstanding.

Scarpia

DavidW

Yup that's the recording, I guess if you had heard the sample you would have been all over it. Oh well I'm going to look into it.

Scarpia

Quote from: mozartfan on May 27, 2011, 03:25:09 PM
Yup that's the recording, I guess if you had heard the sample you would have been all over it.

No way I would have recognized it unless it was the passage with the imitation of a post-horn. 

DavidW

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 27, 2011, 03:28:02 PM
No way I would have recognized it unless it was the passage with the imitation of a post-horn. 

If I did that passage it would be too easy, I picked the Andantino.  I see what you mean with chrome (and IE it turns out).  Fileden seemed to make the play feature only work with Firefox.  I went with Fileden because that was what was discussed on the thread in the news room.  I'm going to see if I can find a different file share site that will allow streaming that works with at least IE, FF and Chrome.

DavidW

Bingo, found a site that will work with Chrome, IE and Firefox.

A.mp3

:)

DavidW

I've also updated my how to, removing fileden and replacing it with 4shared which offers much less advertising and spam and also works with all browsers.

Brian

Oh blerg! I know in my mind when I imagine getting to do things like this, the ideas just overflow for different pieces to use, and right now a really interesting one presents itself to me, but it would involve ripping a CD. As it's 1 AM here, and my usual creative overflow of ideas is at a standstill, I'll just toss this one out there and check back tomorrow morning to see what clip [redacted guess of which poster will guess correctly] will post after supplying the correct answer.

Clip B!

P.S. Still think 'Posthorn' must be famous enough someone would have known it ... even though I've never heard the whole piece!  ???

Scarpia

I'm sure I've never heard it before.  It has an eastern sound to it, Russian maybe, something by Rimsky-Korsakov, Borodin maybe?

listener

don't know.but FYI the Quicktime player works with these clips .
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 27, 2011, 05:48:58 PM
I'm sure I've never heard it before.  It has an eastern sound to it, Russian maybe, something by Rimsky-Korsakov, Borodin maybe?
Hmmm. I thought it sounded French, in the style of Ravel/post-Ravel or something. But I don't know the piece.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!