Name that piece! The game

Started by DavidW, May 27, 2011, 09:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

listener

not Mrs. Mills     Since we're at the 48 hr. point on this one,  more hints.  The composer is more known as a player, and you might associate him with Mozart or Debussy.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Brian

WOW.  :o :o :o I just found it and I literally can't believe who the composer is. What an ingenious puzzle! Never would have expected that.

I'm off to Spain in 15 hours so unless there is desire for a Lightning Round, I'll let the next guesser take the prize. :)

mszczuj

Brian

Ack! My copy of Audacity has gone completely haywire!!!
I just tried opening an MP3 to edit for the game, but during the import process it automatically stretched the MP3 to 27 minutes! When I sped up the music to its original tempo, the sound was nasty and the pitches were all wrong! What's happened? Help!??!?! :(

mszczuj - not Casadesus

Brian

Okay, folks, time for a LIGHTNING ROUND!

listener's clip was by Walter Gieseking: "Schorschi-Batschi"
played (I think) by Marc-Andre Hamelin

I'd love to hear more about this work, had absolutely no idea Gieseking composed, let alone composed jazz!  :o [EDIT: He also has a really nice dance suite with a foxtrot and a Charleston, if you liked listener's clip!]

In the mean time, here is my new challenge! That really ugly second at the start is NOT part of the music! It's the best I could do with my copy of Audacity gone absolutely haywire/unusable. :( I am heading out on holiday at 2 p.m. London time tomorrow, so I will post the answer when I go unless it's been guessed.

Two hints:
1. The music was written by a composer from the country where I'm going on my holiday
2. The number of performers you hear in the clip may be deceptive ;)

Amfortas

Is that a viol being played...something by Marin Marais perhaps?
''Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age.'' - James Joyce (The Dead)

Brian

Quote from: Amfortas on July 22, 2011, 02:38:12 PM
Is that a viol being played...something by Marin Marais perhaps?

Well the country instrument century continent is correct!

Amfortas

Quote from: Brian on July 22, 2011, 03:34:45 PM
Well the country instrument century continent is correct!
:-*

Spain, a theorbo?  ;D
''Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age.'' - James Joyce (The Dead)

petrarch

Quote from: Amfortas on July 22, 2011, 04:38:48 PM
:-*

Spain, a theorbo?  ;D

No, the piece sounds distinctly irish or scottish (the mention of going on vacation to a different country suggests the former). A theorbo is plucked not bowed. It could be a violin, fiddle or high viol, but the drone implies something like a hurdy gurdy.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Amfortas

Quote from: petrarch on July 22, 2011, 04:52:02 PM
No, the piece sounds distinctly irish or scottish (the mention of going on vacation to a different country suggests the former). A theorbo is plucked not bowed. It could be a violin, fiddle or high viol, but the drone implies something like a hurdy gurdy.

I agree with that already,  but Brian may be sneaky with this clip...

listener

Walter Gieseking was correct, source is
Rarities Of Piano Music At Schloss Vor Husum (1994) 

Release Date: 01/18/2006
Label:  Danacord   Catalog #: 429   Spars Code: DDD 
Composer:  César Franck,  Nikolay Myaskovsky,  Nikolai Medtner,  Percy Aldridge Grainger,  Stephen Reynolds, 
Manuel de Falla,  Xavier Montsalvatge,  Frank Martin,  Sigismund Thalberg, 
Charles Valentin Alkan,  Walter Gieseking
Performer:  Igor Zhukov,  Oleg Marshev,  Hamish Milne,  Stephen Hough,  Enrique Perez de Guzman, 
Paul Badura-Skoda,  Marc-André Hamelin
Number of Discs: 1
Recorded in: Stereo

"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Brian

The correct country has been mentioned!

It should be noted that this is by a well-known composer, and not just in the GMG sense of well-known. His composing career was inextricably linked to this, his own instrument.

Quote from: Amfortas on July 22, 2011, 05:16:34 PM
I agree with that already,  but Brian may be sneaky with this clip...

Could be.  ;D

mc ukrneal

Quote from: listener on July 22, 2011, 05:30:17 PM
Walter Gieseking was correct, source is
Rarities Of Piano Music At Schloss Vor Husum (1994) 

Release Date: 01/18/2006
Label:  Danacord   Catalog #: 429   Spars Code: DDD 
Composer:  César Franck,  Nikolay Myaskovsky,  Nikolai Medtner,  Percy Aldridge Grainger,  Stephen Reynolds, 
Manuel de Falla,  Xavier Montsalvatge,  Frank Martin,  Sigismund Thalberg, 
Charles Valentin Alkan,  Walter Gieseking
Performer:  Igor Zhukov,  Oleg Marshev,  Hamish Milne,  Stephen Hough,  Enrique Perez de Guzman, 
Paul Badura-Skoda,  Marc-André Hamelin
Number of Discs: 1
Recorded in: Stereo
How is this series? Are there 1-2 that are especially good?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

mszczuj

Brian

mszczuj

Oh, I probably didn't understand your mention about vacations.

So it must be one of Airs Écossais of Pablo de Sarasate.

Amfortas

Brian

Quote from: mszczuj on July 23, 2011, 02:11:05 AM
So it must be one of Airs Écossais of Pablo de Sarasate.

Close enough!

The clip is the opening of Muiñeiras, by Pablo de Sarasate. The extract features a plain old Vuillaume violin (not a hurdy-gurdy, theorbo, fiddle, or viol) as played by 24-year-old Tianwa Yang; I cut the sample off right before the entrance of the Navarra Symphony Orchestra.

[asin]B004OZROY2[/asin]

Over to mszczuj :)

mszczuj

Amfortas

Maybe one of the arrangements of Kurt Weill for clarinet and piano?