Name that piece! The game

Started by DavidW, May 27, 2011, 09:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Quote from: mc ukrneal on May 28, 2011, 12:58:56 PM
Hmmm. I thought it sounded French, in the style of Ravel/post-Ravel or something. But I don't know the piece.

I think so too... in fact I think it's Roussel.

Brian

Well, Roussel and Rimsky-Korsakov are such interesting guesses that I think I'll leave this open for another day! Neither is the true composer. Any more thoughts, gents?

Scarpia

Quote from: Brian on May 28, 2011, 01:41:03 PM
Well, Roussel and Rimsky-Korsakov are such interesting guesses that I think I'll leave this open for another day! Neither is the true composer. Any more thoughts, gents?

Bruckner, Symphony No 0000?

ibanezmonster

Brian

Okay, fellas, I'm about to embark on a week-long road trip in, say, two hours, so I release you guys from the challenge. First person to reply gets to post a new clip.

Mine was the scherzo from Englishman George Lloyd's Symphony No 5, as performed by the BBC Philharmonic under the composer's own baton. Believe it or not, the work dates from 1947; Lloyd was a true romantic composer, that is to say, he wasn't writing a pastiche or pandering - this is the style he believed in and the style he lived. There's a great review on Amazon that introduces him ("Rodney Gavin Bullock"), or you can browse his thread here.

[asin]B0000049L2[/asin]

I know there are several Lloyd fans around here - Sarge, Glasgow John, Lethe, plus most of the Braga Santos Enthusiasts - and I thought one of them would swoop in and name the work really quickly. Guess not. Oops, sorry guys! Clearly on only Clip B I already broke the system. :(

Lethevich

Frankly, I probably wouldn't have recognised it despite owning several Lloyd discs - I'm awful at these quizzes :) A nice choice of composer to advocate though, his style has potential for wider-appeal.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Opus106

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on May 29, 2011, 11:13:45 PM
Frankly, I probably wouldn't have recognised it despite owning several Lloyd discs - I'm awful at these quizzes :) A nice choice of composer to advocate though, his style has potential for wider-appeal.

Well, being the first post after Brian's, I suppose it's your turn to stump us. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

DavidW

Quote from: Opus106 on May 30, 2011, 06:59:12 AM
Well, being the first post after Brian's, I suppose it's your turn to stump us. :)

Well actually it's still Brian!  He still has control since nobody defeated him.  He can turn over control if he wants.  But he has two more rounds in him.

Hey Brian, that was too esoteric! ;D  If just the composer is something that only 2-4 people on the forum have heard, yeah... please make it easier on the next one. :)

Opus106

Quote from: mozartfan on May 30, 2011, 07:04:44 AM
Well actually it's still Brian!  He still has control since nobody defeated him.  He can turn over control if he wants.  But he has two more rounds in him.

Hey Brian, that was too esoteric! ;D  If just the composer is something that only 2-4 people on the forum have heard, yeah... please make it easier on the next one. :)

Quote from: Brian on May 29, 2011, 10:39:12 PM
Okay, fellas, I'm about to embark on a week-long road trip in, say, two hours, so I release you guys from the challenge. First person to reply gets to post a new clip.

:)
Regards,
Navneeth

DavidW

Oh thanks Navneeth, I'm just not here today! :)

Please Lethe not too esoteric!! ;D  And yes Langgaard is esoteric, but just in case... I'm guessing Langgaard! :D

Lethevich

Mystery Piece Number Three

Hint: it's excerpted from the middle - it doesn't begin this way.

DavidW

Geez that sounds kind of like Berlioz... Romantic for sure, this should be fun! :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Brian on May 29, 2011, 10:39:12 PM
I know there are several Lloyd fans around here - Sarge, Glasgow John, Lethe...and I thought one of them would swoop in and name the work really quickly. Guess not. Oops, sorry guys!

I just noticed this thread. It was all over before I got here  :(

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Lethevich

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on May 30, 2011, 08:03:45 AM
;___: Well played, sir - your go!

Uh, this will take a bit of time. I just downloaded Audacity. Now I have to figure out how to use it. Give me a few minutes (or hours  ;D )

Sarge

DavidW

Try the C drive link Sarge after you've installed it, it's step by step instructions helped me.  You'll get it sorted soon, but if not feel free to bug Navneeth our resident pc expert! :D

Nah I kid, feel free to bug me. :)

Opus106

I'm just curious, David: is Windows Movie Maker not capable of making audio clips?
Regards,
Navneeth

karlhenning

Cor, I need a newer machine to have Movie Maker . . . .

OTOH, I've got Audacity on the home PC.

DavidW

Quote from: Opus106 on May 30, 2011, 08:16:38 AM
I'm just curious, David: is Windows Movie Maker not capable of making audio clips?

Sadly I think it only takes movies and photos, else yeah that would be easier. :-\  FYI I'm sure there are other programs out there, I chose Audacity for a how to just because I know it, and it seems pretty straight forward to use.