Name that piece! The game

Started by DavidW, May 27, 2011, 09:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amfortas

''Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age.'' - James Joyce (The Dead)

DavidW

Awesome!  Okay I'll think of something... :)

DavidW

Amfortas

Sounds like a modern orchestration of Handel or some other baroque?
''Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age.'' - James Joyce (The Dead)

DavidW

Brian

Whoa! That's a really interesting clip. It definitely sounds baroque, like a spicier version of Handel, and the ensemble is HIP - in fact the ensemble sounds a lot like one of Jordi Savall's. The surprise twist is, which baroque composer was using trombones?

Amfortas

Quote from: Brian on June 25, 2011, 01:07:20 AM
Whoa! That's a really interesting clip. It definitely sounds baroque, like a spicier version of Handel, and the ensemble is HIP - in fact the ensemble sounds a lot like one of Jordi Savall's. The surprise twist is, which baroque composer was using trombones?

Well trombone has been in use for a while - Monteverdi, Schutz and the Gabrielis indicated trombones, but this can't be any of them. Handel and Bach as well, occasionally. I am tempted to stick with the modern arrangement or 'realization' of a baroque composer. The piece itself is pleasant, but not familiar to me. I love those Savall recordings that I have heard, maybe Brian is right and it's one of those

Edit: just listened again, now it sounds like it could be Purcell

DavidW

Oh a guess... so many composers thrown out but now have what sounds like definitive guess "it could be Purcell"... nope not Purcell.  You guys are close, very close.

And yup it is HIP Brian, and Amfortas to the best of my knowledge not a modern arrangement. :)

Amfortas

Telemann?

DavidW

Amfortas

Amfortas

DavidW

Nope, now you're getting colder. ;D

Brian

Quote from: DavidW on June 25, 2011, 08:12:20 AMnope not Purcell.  You guys are close, very close.

Someone English? Not JC Bach though?
I don't think Boyce's symphonies used trombones.

DavidW

Quote from: Brian on June 25, 2011, 09:34:31 AM
Someone English? Not JC Bach though?
I don't think Boyce's symphonies used trombones.

Nah you're going cold too.  Think back to what you originally said. :)

Amfortas

Should I officially guess Georg Frideric Handel? Ok, Handel

DavidW

Bingo!  Neither one of you officially guessed it before, in fact spicier Handel (what Brian said) sounded like not Handel, but similar. 

Brian was also right about it being HIP, it is Harnoncourt/Concentus Musicus Wien performing Saul. :)

Part of Warner's bargain priced Handel edition:

[asin]B001FQ72IQ[/asin]

Take it away Amfortas! :)

karlhenning

So while the thread is called Name that piece!, in practice, we're content if the composer is identified?

I ask only for information . . . .

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 25, 2011, 10:27:07 AM
So while the thread is called Name that piece!, in practice, we're content if the composer is identified?

I ask only for information . . . .

Yeah well I think that if I asked for the piece... only Drasko would get it. :'(  There is only a handful of us Handelites out here.

We need a variation, like tell the composer right off the bat, and then ask what the piece is.  Or tell the piece and ask who the performers are. ;D ;D