Name that piece! The game

Started by DavidW, May 27, 2011, 09:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarpia

Quote from: Parsifal on June 07, 2011, 06:29:01 AM
How about Hindemith?

Alas no, that's a piece I'd like to hear.

Scarpia

Incidentally, no one has hit the right country yet.

Opus106

From hearsay, I gather that a certain composer who participates in this board tends to sway towards the evil dark atonal side of music. Could it perhaps be one of his creations when he was less of a honker an atonal composer? ;D ;)

Seriously, I feel that the composer of the piece was first and foremost a pianist. (Just listen to the way the piano "attacks", mixed with good ol' gut instinct. ;D) Hungarian, maybe.
Regards,
Navneeth

Scarpia

Quote from: Opus106 on June 07, 2011, 07:15:52 AM
From hearsay, I gather that a certain composer who participates in this board tends to sway towards the evil dark atonal side of music. Could it perhaps be one of his creations when he was less of a honker an atonal composer? ;D ;)

Seriously, I feel that the composer of the piece was first and foremost a pianist. (Just listen to the way the piano "attacks", mixed with good ol' gut instinct. ;D) Hungarian, maybe.

If you are referring to Henningmusik, no it is not by that lauded composer.  The mystery composer has been gone for nearly 30 years, and like Dr. Henning, is known more for choral music than instrumental works.

karlhenning

Scarpia

Correct, sir!

Herbert Howells
Sonata for Clarinet and Piano, second movement, Allegro ritmico, con brio
Thea King, Clarinet, Clifford Benson, Piano

Hyperion

[asin]B000002ZES[/asin]

Scarpia

This means you get to do the next clip.  No good deed goes unpunished, the saying goes.

karlhenning

Splendid; I am marshalling my thoughts . . . .

karlhenning

Logistically, I shan't be able to post my Sonic Mystery until tomorrow evening.

So shall I yield the floor between now and then?

Scarpia

DavidW

* waits for Brian to post a .5 s clip of Vivaldi's spring concerto*  ;D

Opus106

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on June 07, 2011, 09:12:33 AM
Herbert Howells
Sonata for Clarinet and Piano, second movement, Allegro ritmico, con brio
Thea King, Clarinet, Clifford Benson, Piano

Hyperion

Initially, I suspected that it was from the Helios disc of clarinet works that you have mentioned many times before. But then all the works featured in it turned out to be orchestral.
Regards,
Navneeth

karlhenning

I pipped Nav! (Ought to be a bumper sticker . . . .)

Lethevich

A quickie in a (so far) under-represented form in this thread:

LINK!
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Brian

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on June 07, 2011, 10:12:05 AM
A quickie in a (so far) under-represented form in this thread:

LINK!

Darn, I was hoping you meant a string quartet. :(

Don't recognize that at all, but my guess is it's Danny Driver playing York Bowen.

Lethevich

Quote from: Brian on June 07, 2011, 10:25:25 AM
Darn, I was hoping you meant a string quartet. :(

Don't recognize that at all, but my guess is it's Danny Driver playing York Bowen.

Definitely post a SQ too - until Karl's is up we can do what we like :-*

The piece and composer are earlier than that. It's not a nocturne or character piece, but a slow introduction to a piano sonata. The composer is not known for this form, but is known for his piano writing in other pieces, which I hope this may be recognisable from (hmm I need to stop giving huge clues - this is the last big one for now ;)).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Lethevich

The composer died at a similar age, but was a generation older. His compositions are more influenced by the first wave of German-language Romantic writers than a figure like Alkan, who was rather more complicated and internal. This composer is also less overtly virtuosic, with a frequent emphasis on poetic qualities in his music. His "Romantic" dramatic moments by later standards sound somewhat sonata-bound and restrained.

Edit: also, because the slow intro was not too representative, try the opening of the allegro section of the same movement: LINK!

Cato

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on June 07, 2011, 01:32:24 PM
The composer died at a similar age, but was a generation older. His compositions are more influenced by the first wave of German-language Romantic writers than a figure like Alkan, who was rather more complicated and internal. This composer is also less overtly virtuosic, with a frequent emphasis on poetic qualities in his music. His "Romantic" dramatic moments by later standards sound somewhat sonata-bound and restrained.

This is the "Elegy" Sonata by Carl Loewe, whose works at times show Beethoven's shadow.  I recall Loewe's Totentanz (poem by Goethe) seeming to fit the words perfectly.  After the introduction, the song takes flight before crashing at the end. 

Let Lethe have another turn!  I am busy most of tomorrow and on the road to Peoria on Thursday!   :o   Yes, and the sooner I can turn around and leave Illinois the better!   0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Lethevich