"Weird" Instruments in Classical Music

Started by Grazioso, May 28, 2011, 05:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDL

Quote from: Luke on May 31, 2011, 09:08:20 AM
PMD is good at this stuff. I've already mentioned the balloons in Resurrection (and, btw, to the poster who mentioned being able to take anything except farting - there's a flatulence chorus in that opera, too, by which I mean a chorus advertising an anti-flatulence, not...you know... The second act, indeed, starts with the words 'Flatulence? Oh dear...').

"a fart" appears in the stage directions of Penderecki's The Devils of Loudun, but in the Hamburg CD and DVD, it's just somebody blowing a particularly enthusiastic raspberry.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: MDL on June 01, 2011, 04:44:30 AM
"a fart" appears in the stage directions of Penderecki's The Devils of Loudun, but in the Hamburg CD and DVD, it's just somebody blowing a particularly enthusiastic raspberry.

As long as it's in tune...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Florestan

Quote from: MDL on June 01, 2011, 04:44:30 AM

I imagine that around 2200 AD some HIP-ster would come up with the real thing.  :D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Grazioso

Quote from: James on June 01, 2011, 04:23:41 AM
Based on your posts .. your experience is little on all fronts! The sax has been used quite a lot in very many compositions of the modern era, so how your trying to illustrate your pt. is typically uninformed and trite.

Well, if you want to believe that the saxophone is as prominent as other woodwinds in classical music, I guess you're free to your delusions. There's a reason orchestras don't need standing bodies of saxophonists and why the string quartet is just a wee bit more prominent than sax quartet in classical music: the sax, sadly, isn't central to the tradition.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

DavidW

Quote from: Florestan on June 01, 2011, 05:30:23 AM
I imagine that around 2200 AD some HIP-ster would come up with the real thing.  :D

I wouldn't doubt it... I have a HIP recording of one of Mozart's horn concertos where someone shouts out insults while they play! :D

Scarpia

Quote from: Florestan on June 01, 2011, 05:30:23 AM

I can imagine a culture raised on Soylent Green consulting with an anthropologist for an HIP performance, "what are these things called 'beans' which were used to produce 'farts' in ancient music performance?"

Florestan

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on June 01, 2011, 09:06:39 AM
I can imagine a culture raised on Soylent Green consulting with an anthropologist for an HIP performance, "what are these things called 'beans' which were used to produce 'farts' in ancient music performance?"

:D ;D :D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Grazioso

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on June 01, 2011, 09:06:39 AM

The real HIP question: should the musicians fart with or without vibrato?  ;D

listener

Quote from: Grazioso on June 01, 2011, 09:10:37 AM
The real HIP question: should the musicians fart with or without vibrato?  ;D
or, to quote Flanders & Swann, "flutter on your bottom"?
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

jowcol

Quote from: James on May 31, 2011, 04:32:03 PM
Um yea .. your exposure is VERY narrow - see!!! Gotta get out more Graz.

Yes, what James is saying is the that  you need to go out and expose yourself  like he does.
"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

eyeresist

Grazioso

Quote from: jowcol on June 01, 2011, 01:59:27 PM
Yes, what James is saying is the that  you need to go out and expose yourself  like he does.

"Today's top story: local man arrested for running around naked at concert hall and yelling 'Pffft' at audience members listening to Mozart. Special expert interviews with Dr. Phil and Pierre Boulez."

CRCulver

Quote from: James on June 02, 2011, 06:29:41 AM
I'd never in a million years attend a performance of Mozart. More likely to bomb the place tho.  ;D

Come now, James, even Boulez has made his peace with Mozart.

Grazioso

Quote from: James on June 02, 2011, 06:29:41 AM
I'd never in a million years attend a performance of Mozart. More likely to bomb the place tho.  ;D

"Update at 11: A team of FBI criminal psychologists has been flown in to evaluate the local man who runs naked through concert halls, yelling 'Pfft'. 'When the suspect freely admitted to disliking Mozart, I knew we had an extremely dangerous case on our hands,' said the lead investigator."

eyeresist

Quote from: James on June 02, 2011, 10:01:28 AM
Grazioso dont quit your job at McDonalds or whatever fast food joint you work at (if you're employed at all), because comedy is definitely not your forte.

Gracious as ever.

Grazioso

Quote from: James on June 02, 2011, 10:01:28 AM
Grazioso dont quit your job at McDonalds or whatever fast food joint you work at (if you're employed at all), because comedy is definitely not your forte.

James, as long as you keep bringing down the tone of this forum through trolling, personal insults, and spouting off about things you're ignorant of, people are going to deride your behavior.

knight66

Enough thank you; no more upping the ante.

Knight
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

listener

I think the trautonium has not yet been mentioned, I have a recording of Genzmer's Concerto but I can think of nothing where it is integrated with the orchestra.
edit: yes it was, on the first page.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

westknife

Is synthesizer weird? John Adams used it in Nixon in China and other works.