Clichés

Started by Coco, June 03, 2011, 12:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Coco on June 03, 2011, 04:15:16 PM
It might be accurate but the echt-Japan/rock gardens/waterfalls imagery with regard to Takemitsu is played out.
I think he did that to himself- "I Hear the Water Dreaming," "A String Around Autumn," "Rain Coming," "Rain Tree Sketch," "Rain Spell," "Spirit Garden," "A Flock Descends into the Pentagonal Garden," "Toward the Sea," "Water Music," "Waterways," "Grass," "I Hear the Water Dreaming," "In the Woods," "Landscape," etc.
:D

Coco

;D

I'm starting to think he was kind of a boring composer anyway.  :-\

ibanezmonster

He's one of the few composers where I have to be in a certain mood to listen to- and if I'm not, I kinda feel the same way.  :-X

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Philoctetes on June 03, 2011, 05:40:08 PM
How nearly every effing symphony ends on that held whole note. That really irks me.
Yes, exactly!  :o
Glad someone else noticed this. I might listen to a movement of a Brahms symphony and think, "Wow, every note is perfect, except the final chord is so cliched."

DavidW

You two don't like returning to the home key?! :o  You Xenakis nuts you! ;D

westknife

Beethoven - cathartic

Haydn - musical jokester/prankster

Brahms - successor to Beethoven

Coco

DavidW

Quote from: westknife on June 03, 2011, 05:43:52 PM
Brahms - successor to Beethoven

I'll add to that.  I hate the phrase "spiritual successor" which means vaguely influenced by, or these two composers have the same cliche descriptions so I'll just say that one is the spiritual successor of the other.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: DavidW on June 03, 2011, 05:43:37 PM
You two don't like returning to the home key?! :o  You Xenakis nuts you! ;D
Not when it's so blatant, like how it sounds, "I must dutifully end it on the final chord."
Take Mahler's 9th's ending- it does end on the final chord (Db) (the key of the movement, not the entire symphony, since the first movement is in D)- however, the way it's voiced and fades out is way different than a typical ending.

Mirror Image

Koechlin = New Agey

:P

Opus106

Irks me every time: Bach - dry, academic, soulless.

[EDIT: Classical] Music is meant to be profound (even if the composer did not have profundity on his check-list whilst composing ::))

We still see HIP/PI = mechanical, soulless in some CD reviews

I'm sure I'll be adding more to the list as and when I make a note of them in other threads. ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Mahler - anguished
Brahms - autumnal
Schoenberg - dissonant
Bruckner - "cathedral in sound"
Schubert - melodious
Prokofiev - spiky
Mozart - heavenly

They may be cliches, but they fit
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Grazioso

Quote from: Leon on June 03, 2011, 01:37:11 PM
Regarding atonal works in general, they are described as

dense
difficult
thorny
spiky

And others I am forgetting

Which is another way of saying an atonal work is as pretty as a rose bush :)
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Grazioso

Well, there's the cliche that for the British music press, the Three B's, aka the Holy Trinity, can do no wrong. Of course, I refer not to Bach, Beethoven, and Brahms, but to Boult, Barbirolli, and Beecham :)

(Is "British music press," said with a sneer and grumblings about the Penguin Guide, a cliche?)
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Lethevich

There's also the cliche about the British music press being any worse than the other provincial ones :P
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Superhorn

Karajan's conducting is too smooth and glossy .  Solti's is too nervous,hard-driven and soulless.
  Bruckner wrote the same symphony nine times.  Zubin Mehta is just a shallow glamor boy and doesn't care about
  contemporary music 
   Mahler's music is too mawkishly sentimental  and hysterically overblown.   Richard Strauss declined as a composer after Der Rosenkavalier, and his later operas are worthless.  The Alpine symphony is the worst of his tone poems.
Or the Symphonia Domestica.  Furtwangler's tempi are much too slow.
    Before the arrival of Alan Gilbert as music director, the New York Philharmonic was a stodgy,staid, conservative orchestra which played little but the same old orchestral warhorses. 
   There is no humor in Beethoven's music.   Dvorak's early symphonies are negligable works.  Schumann  could not  orchestrate well. 
   Period instrument performances give us the music exactly as it sounded in the past and exactly as the composers would have wanted it to be interpreted. 
   Wagner's Ring  is a highly anti-semitic work which glorifies Naziism .  His librettos are lousy .and  the stories
   ridiculous and absurd .  The characters are all cardboard ones.
   American orchestra do nothing but play the same old warhorses and rarely if ever play new or recent music .
   All orchestras today sound the same .  Music directors of today's orchestras spend too little time with their orchestras.   

DavidW

That's a good list Superhorn.  Another two sound the same silliness ones I dislike:

Vivaldi wrote the same concerto hundreds of times over
Haydn wrote the same symphony 104 times over

:P

snyprrr

Coco

refuuuuuuulgent spleeeendor

chasmaniac

Classical cliches are funny, and some do have the reek of refulgent splendour about them, but they're not in the same ballpark as "rock'n'roll all night long". Ouch. I got chapped just writing that.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217