Boris Tchaikovsky's "No, We're Not Related"

Started by Lethevich, June 07, 2011, 04:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

Boris Tchaikovsky has always been on the fringes of my musical radar - his reputation as something of a classicist, a composer writing resolutely tonal-based (though sometimes harmonically adventurous) music while his contemporaries were making all manner of somewhat confused forays into serialism and polystylism through the prism of Shostakovich's symphonic templates intrigued me. I just played the following disc:

[asin]B00026W63Q[/asin]

The Sinfonietta and Chamber Symphony always tend to surprise me with their chastity. Strict, but not austere, and yet they don't leave me with a strong memory of either of them. The Six Études for strings and organ however, is a powerful piece of music. It's a sizable work, running over 25 minutes and often starkly beautiful in its meeting of this somewhat unusual ensemble. The mood throughout is an almost dreamy sequence of yearning beauty and meditative solemnity - it is frequently charming. The more I listen, the more a certain sentimental edge emerges as well, which is fully of its time. It doesn't harm the music, though, it gives it a certain lift, a sense of purpose.

Any suggestions on what to listen to next, or other views on the composer?
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

snyprrr

His Piano Quintet is fairly unique for a Russian, though it is not overtly 'beautiful'. I also liked, was it a Partita?, on the Slava 'The Russian Years' box, a chamber piece with harpsichord and other instruments.

PaulR

One of my favorite recordings of Tchaikovsky's music is this one:

The Sebatopal Symphony and the Wind of Siberia may be my two favorite works of the composer.

Another piece I like is the Piano Concerto, although it is an odd piece.  The first movement is really just about carrying a certain rhythmic motif, rather than having a great seducing melody.  But the 2nd movement, has a bass solo with the piano which is quite nice.  I am also a student of the bass, so that's why I might be fond of the piece, but I really do like the concerto, even if it it's not a more traditional concerto.

Guido

Rostropovich said in interviews that he thought the other Tchaikovsky's time was due, and indeed the cello concerto is a rather significant creation I seem to remember.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Grazioso

The 1st symphony is a an enjoyable listen, though I have to admit it's not a piece that begs for immediate replays.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

vandermolen

Quote from: paulrbass on June 07, 2011, 07:09:08 PM
One of my favorite recordings of Tchaikovsky's music is this one:

The Sebatopal Symphony and the Wind of Siberia may be my two favorite works of the composer.

Another piece I like is the Piano Concerto, although it is an odd piece.  The first movement is really just about carrying a certain rhythmic motif, rather than having a great seducing melody.  But the 2nd movement, has a bass solo with the piano which is quite nice.  I am also a student of the bass, so that's why I might be fond of the piece, but I really do like the concerto, even if it it's not a more traditional concerto.

I also like this disc.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

This is the disc that firstly alerted me to this composer. I like Symphony No 2 very much.
[asin]B000001LOL[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

eyeresist

Quote from: Grazioso on June 08, 2011, 04:25:13 AM

The 1st symphony is a an enjoyable listen, though I have to admit it's not a piece that begs for immediate replays.

Yes, I had that disc. I don't think it was the right music to launch a cycle if they wanted anyone to be much interested in it.

snyprrr

And so, the Boris Tchaikovsky Thread goes the way of all flesh. :'(

Lethevich

Hehe. I'll add a few updates after I hear more :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.