Poulenc Sets

Started by snyprrr, October 04, 2012, 07:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

There are three that I know of:

EMI, with mainly Pretre

Decca, with mainly Dutoit

Erato, mainly with Conlon

I have the Decca 2-fer, which is kind of a mish mash, though it sounds good. What do you think? At least the Erato set contains the Aubade.

EMI also has an 'Integrale', and the 10cd Decca box is very cheap.

CriticalI

Remember there is also Naxos's set of the chamber music:
[asin]B000SKJQWK[/asin]

I'll be interested to see what eventuates in this thread :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on October 04, 2012, 07:06:45 PM
At least the Erato set contains the Aubade.

The Dutoit set also contains this work and in a better performance with the great Pascal Roge on piano. The Dutoit set and the Naxos set of chamber music are really the only Poulenc I need, although I did get Conlon's cheap Apex reissue many years ago when I was in the market for Poulenc's music.

TheGSMoeller

The EMI and Decca sets are both nice. The Naxos chamber set is essential. Or you could make your own set with these fine individual discs which boast some of the best performances of Poulenc's repertoire. (I may have just broken the thread code)

snyprrr

Yes, good choices all. I forgot that I have that old Hyperion set of the Complete Chamber Music. Nothing wrong with that one either. Very crisp.

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 04, 2012, 07:41:01 PM
The Dutoit set also contains this work and in a better performance with the great Pascal Roge on piano. The Dutoit set and the Naxos set of chamber music are really the only Poulenc I need, although I did get Conlon's cheap Apex reissue many years ago when I was in the market for Poulenc's music.

So, you're saying, definitely, that the Dutoit trumps Conlon? You don't feel like doing any comparing, do you? ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on October 05, 2012, 07:43:59 AMSo, you're saying, definitely, that the Dutoit trumps Conlon? You don't feel like doing any comparing, do you? ;D

I wouldn't mind, but you know I've just got to be in the mood for Poulenc. I listened to some of the Dutoit set last night and enjoyed some of what I heard. To be honest, though, I did get a little bored with some of the music. Les biches is fun romp though. :)

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 05, 2012, 07:47:13 AM
I wouldn't mind, but you know I've just got to be in the mood for Poulenc. I listened to some of the Dutoit set last night and enjoyed some of what I heard. To be honest, though, I did get a little bored with some of the music. Les biches is fun romp though. :)

What? Poulenc isn't the Greatest Composer Ever? :o

I AM wondering why I'm pushing it with FP,... I must be bored?

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: snyprrr on October 06, 2012, 07:57:04 AM
What? Poulenc isn't the Greatest Composer Ever? :o

I AM wondering why I'm pushing it with FP,... I must be bored?

If you're bored, then Poulenc is a great remedy. Much of his music is so delightful, energetic and colorful. Then you can get a bit serious and explore his heavy, found-a-strong-belief-in-religion sacred music of the 30s and on.

San Antone

Since Iddidn't see a thread devoted to the songs, I thoguht I put these here:

The EMI set is still my reference set:

[asin]B000002S31[/asin]

Followed closely by the Decca set featuring Pascal Roge:

[asin]B000SSPL1C[/asin]

But the new Hyperion set put together by Graham Johnson could push it off the shelf:

[asin]B00EZWNIU8[/asin]

Signum is in the process of releasing the complete songs, in five vvolumes of which four volumes are finished.  Malcolm Martineau organized this set, or more accurately, disorganized this set - there is no discernable method as to how the songs were selected for each volume.  It has generally gotten decent reviews, but the Hyperion set will in all likelihood overshadow it.

[asin]B004K7LTEA[/asin]

Lastly, a set I am sorely tempted to buy is the only all Francophone set:  "ATMA Classique proudly announces a landmark recording of Francis Poulenc's complete works for voice and piano, featuring pianist Olivier Godin and singers Pascale Beaudin, Julie Fuchs, Helene Guilmette, Julie Boulianne, Marc Boucher, and Francois Le Roux. This milestone album is a joint production between ATMA, Centre lyrique d'expression française and the Festival Classica, and features the first-ever recording of three unpublished songs by Poulenc."

[asin]B00FEFOHBO[/asin]