British Composers by decade.

Started by Dundonnell, July 29, 2011, 06:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cilgwyn

Anything,just to change the subject. (And,why not?)
Cheers!

Albion

Quote from: some guy on July 31, 2011, 12:50:55 PM
Well, we certainly wouldn't want to extend it forwards chronologically, would we? (Mommy, that bad man is talking about modern music, again. Make him stop, Mommy!! Eugh!!)

This way, that way, forwards and backwards - British music, your flexible friend.

:P
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

Dundonnell

Deighted that some guy extended the lists forward chronologically since that would have been way beyond my ability to do :D  I am almost completely ignorant of the work of these composers although the name of Cornelius Cardew rings bells ;D

There are, of course, a huge number of living, younger British composers whose music doesn't get much exposure outside, say, of the releases of a company like NMC.

And there are the members of the post-war Manchester School who studied composition with Richard Hall-composers like Maxwell Davies(who I included), Sir Harrison Birtwistle and Alexander Goehr..........

Grazioso

Quote from: Dundonnell on July 31, 2011, 05:05:12 PM
There are, of course, a huge number of living, younger British composers whose music doesn't get much exposure outside, say, of the releases of a company like NMC.

There are living composers?  :o
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Dundonnell

Grazioso

Quote from: Dundonnell on August 01, 2011, 04:49:08 AM
Apparently ;D

And did those feet in ancient recent time,
Walk upon England's mountains green...
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on July 30, 2011, 06:29:55 AMJoseph Rontgen

It's Julius Röntgen. I think the Flemish composer Joseph Jongen might be interfering with the accuracy of your memory...

For the rest - another great thread, Colin! With excellent follow-up by the not very perfidious Albion and some guy.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on August 01, 2011, 06:18:19 AM
It's Julius Röntgen. I think the Flemish composer Joseph Jongen might be interfering with the accuracy of your memory...

For the rest - another great thread, Colin! With excellent follow-up by the not very perfidious Albion and some guy.

Eekk! Thank you , Johan!

Will correct at once.  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on August 02, 2011, 03:07:12 AM
Interesting blog (with disc recommendation) on Bridge:

http://gramophone.co.uk/features/focus/frank-bridge-%E2%80%93-the-unsung-british-modernist

I can't that I'm that enthralled with Bridge's music. I have the Hickox series on Chandos and some of the music just didn't do anything for me at all. Perhaps somebody could help me understand his music better? I did like the Rebos Overture.

Anyway, his music has been well-served by Hickox and I'm sure I'm just missing something.

lescamil

The only pieces by Bridge I can really enjoy are the Piano Sonata and Phantasm. I don't like them just because I am a pianist, but more because I have found everything else I have heard by him to be bland. Maybe I am just missing something in those works. However, the Piano Sonata and Phantasm are very unique works with a very unique style to them, even though they still sound relatively British. The Piano Sonata has some harmonies in it that are very ear catching for its time, without following any of the particular modernist trends at that time.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

eyeresist

I have a Hyperion CD with some Bridge chamber pieces, and I just remember them being pretty blah. Apologies to the fans.

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 02, 2011, 01:09:32 PM
I can't that I'm that enthralled with Bridge's music. I have the Hickox series on Chandos and some of the music just didn't do anything for me at all. Perhaps somebody could help me understand his music better? I did like the Rebos Overture.

Anyway, his music has been well-served by Hickox and I'm sure I'm just missing something.

Phantasm is probably where MI should start with Bridge. Debussy meets Berg. Would that attract you to it?

Quote from: eyeresist on August 03, 2011, 07:54:24 PM
I have a Hyperion CD with some Bridge chamber pieces, and I just remember them being pretty blah. Apologies to the fans.

I had the chamber works on NONESUCH (LP) years ago and loved those recordings. Frankly, the HYPERION recordings don't do it for me neither.

Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on August 03, 2011, 09:23:24 PM
Phantasm is probably where MI should start with Bridge. Debussy meets Berg. Would that attract you to it?

Yes! ;) I'm not giving up on Bridge. Thanks for the suggestion. :) I have the Bridge series with Hickox on Chandos, so I need to listen to this work.

lescamil

Quote from: springrite on August 03, 2011, 09:23:24 PM

Ha, that is the perfect description of it, maybe perhaps with a bit of Hindemith thrown in? Anyways, I would highly recommend this as a great place to start. It is such a distinctive and individual work in his oeuvre.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

springrite

Quote from: lescamil on August 03, 2011, 09:52:25 PM
Ha, that is the perfect description of it.

Must say, I am quite proud of this description myself! ;D
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Bridge's Oration for cello and orchestra is masterly. I prefer the performance on Lyrita.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

The new erato

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on August 04, 2011, 04:10:39 AM
Bridge's Oration for cello and orchestra is masterly. I prefer the performance on Lyrita.
Indeed. If I hadn't been so lazy I would have posted this post a long time ago.  :D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: The new erato on August 04, 2011, 05:10:02 AM
Indeed. If I hadn't been so lazy I would have posted this post a long time ago.  :D

I was only one post ahead.