Carlo Martelli(1935-)

Started by Dundonnell, July 27, 2011, 10:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Have any other British music fans/fanatics heard the recent Dutton release coupling Carlo Martelli's Symphony, op.4 with John Joubert's Second Symphony?

Martelli is a British composer, born in 1935 and, happily, still alive. He wrote his symphony while still a 19-year old student at the Royal College of Music in London. It is in three movements, the first and second of which were added (on the suggestion of Malcolm Arnold) to the orginal single movement, now the third. It was first performed by the LSO under Norman Del Mar in 1957 to considerable critical acclaim. Martelli was squeezed out however by changes in critical fashion and concentrated on 'light music' thereafter.

More about Martelli here-

http://www.musicweb-international.com/martelli/index.htm

The symphony is well worth hearing imo. Very much a young man's apprentice work, heavily influenced by Shostakovich, but if, for example, you like the music of Richard Arnell you should definitely try it. The Joubert is a fine piece too.

The new erato

Welcome back! This disc got an outstanding in the latest issue of IRR and is already wishlisted.

Angelomartelli

I'm delighted to discover that my brother's Symphony has been noticed.  It was previously recorded in the early nineties, also by the RSNO under Jose Serebrier, by a Swiss company (Dinamec?) but never released.  I find more Britten and Nielsen influence than Shostakovich, but Carlo certainly has his own voice.  As you indicated in your blog, he is happily very much alive and has published hundreds of arrangements mainly for string quartet.  Some of these are available on Discrete (A Christmas Collection), Landor (Dreaming, and Someone to watch over me) - all with the delightful Pavao Quartet.     

vandermolen

Quote from: Angelomartelli on August 18, 2011, 01:45:13 AM
I'm delighted to discover that my brother's Symphony has been noticed.  It was previously recorded in the early nineties, also by the RSNO under Jose Serebrier, by a Swiss company (Dinamec?) but never released.  I find more Britten and Nielsen influence than Shostakovich, but Carlo certainly has his own voice.  As you indicated in your blog, he is happily very much alive and has published hundreds of arrangements mainly for string quartet.  Some of these are available on Discrete (A Christmas Collection), Landor (Dreaming, and Someone to watch over me) - all with the delightful Pavao Quartet.   

How nice to hear from you and welcome to the Forum! I just realised that I do have this CD in my collection - so, I will get listening and report back.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

I listened to the Martelli Symphony with much pleasure tonight.  I was reminded of Nielsen but also Robert Simpson (symphonies 1 and 3) and Richard Arnell, although the Martelli is also a work of considerable originality.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).