The non-Harry Refusal Bin

Started by DavidW, July 25, 2011, 07:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay F

Quote from: The new erato on August 08, 2011, 05:09:14 AM
But regrettably I got it, despite my avatar.....
On another forum, I found it confusing following opposing POVs in a discussion of the "debt crisis" because of verging-on-ubiquitous Norwegian flags being used as avatars. Beyond that, it's a lovely gesture.

Enjoy the Bruckner.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jay F on August 08, 2011, 05:06:11 AM
Why, thank you. What a nice thing to say.

You're welcome. I've been contemplating taking some art classes to see if I have the skill to paint. I've been fascinated by art as a child and both my parents recall me drawing a lot, but obviously drawing is much different than painting. Hopefully, I'll have at least a little skill so I can do this as a hobby. And who knows, if enough people like my work, maybe something might happen like a commission or something. Stranger things have happened.

Jay F

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 08, 2011, 04:14:44 PM
You're welcome. I've been contemplating taking some art classes to see if I have the skill to paint. I've been fascinated by art as a child and both my parents recall me drawing a lot, but obviously drawing is much different than painting. Hopefully, I'll have at least a little skill so I can do this as a hobby. And who knows, if enough people like my work, maybe something might happen like a commission or something. Stranger things have happened.
I've always found color fascinating. Just seeing the same thing in three different colors can stop my brain and capture my attention like little else. I also hear color in music and smell it in things that have an odor (pleasant or otherwise). I can't draw to save my life, but, like you, I often wonder if I could paint. Most paint gives me serious migraines, and that keeps me from trying.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jay F on August 09, 2011, 05:31:36 AM
I've always found color fascinating. Just seeing the same thing in three different colors can stop my brain and capture my attention like little else. I also hear color in music and smell it in things that have an odor (pleasant or otherwise). I can't draw to save my life, but, like you, I often wonder if I could paint. Most paint gives me serious migraines, and that keeps me from trying.

Yes, there is something to be said for somebody who can paint oil on canvas. That, for me, is the skill to obtain. To be able to paint what you see is where the true ability comes in. Of course, everybody paints differently, so your own style will come out in the work. I've been looking at artists who painted portraits recently and some interesting ones I've discovered are Alice Neel, Lucian Freud, Francis Bacon, Sam Dillemans, among others. Their work is so fascinating.