Georges Aperghis (b. 1945)

Started by snyprrr, July 28, 2011, 11:12:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Ok I just discovered that it is indeed possible to download scores from his website..............I guess I will be doing that now!

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on February 01, 2017, 01:57:59 PM
Yeah, I've done that. I don't know if it's just me, but I kind of expected his scores to look more like Stockhausen or even Cage in appearance but they seem more simple.... ???

It's not his complete scores though, so there would be more I don't know about yet

Making scores look complex is the most stupid thing a composer can do imo. Aperghis gets exactly what he wants with the simplest most readable notation and that is what works best in any setting really. The biggest reason why a performer would choose not to play certain works is if a piece is notated confusingly.......*coughmessiaencough*.......I admire Aperghis for his clarity!

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on February 01, 2017, 02:26:08 PM
Messiaen??  ??? What Messiaen are you referring to?
every Messiaen score I've seen has been absolutely straight-forward.... :-\

Is it the slow tempos??  :-[
Hahahaha, I am surprised you are shocked though! Messiaen is well known for devising a new harmonic language based on his modes of limited transposition. In very many cases his music would be far easier to read if the accidentals were re-spelt. From the perspective of a composer, it makes perfect sense why Messiaen does what he does, but from a performer's perspective.......well...... :laugh: it is probably the main reason his music isn't performed as often as Shostakovich and some other extremely famous contemporaries.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on February 01, 2017, 02:40:55 PM
So you don't mean rhythmically or notation-related but more harmonic/melodic? ok then, I guess I see what you mean
Nah, his rhythms are super clear.

snyprrr

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on March 11, 2017, 02:26:58 AM
I'm listening to Recitations yet again, I'm starting to love it.

There is something about it that is giving me ideas of a way to apply a concept that I've have for quite a while, into vocal music.

These pieces (Recitations) are quite overwhelming and I know what Snyprrr means in the original post about it.

Return to this thread Snyprrr, I need your mentoring in all things Aperghian!  8)

I can't break free of the Igor at the moment... and I'm definitely not ready for Avant Vocals, lol... more coffee...

bhodges

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on March 11, 2017, 02:26:58 AM
I'm listening to Recitations yet again, I'm starting to love it.

There is something about it that is giving me ideas of a way to apply a concept that I've have for quite a while, into vocal music.

These pieces (Recitations) are quite overwhelming and I know what Snyprrr means in the original post about it.

Return to this thread Snyprrr, I need your mentoring in all things Aperghian!  8)

Check out some of the YouTube versions of Recitations -- there are many, and these little gems are much better when you can SEE the performers. Many of them involve ordinary sounds such as coughing, clearing the throat, etc., which can sound like accidents (but of course, they're not).

One of them has the singer dropping music on the floor. When I saw it performed, it was for just a small group of people in the singer's home. I was sitting on the front row, and when she dropped the score I reached down to retrieve it. She grinned at me and shook her head -- and then the dropped music became a repeated thing, like a little fugue. Great fun, hilarious, educational.

Just watched this video of Nos. 8 and 11 for the first time by a singer new to me, Sarah Maria Sun -- wow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itXUgBIyoGA

--Bruce

snyprrr

Quote from: α | ì Æ ñ on August 12, 2017, 02:19:30 AM
I'm back in with the Aperghis again  :D

Teeter-Totter

I am by no means prepared to Aperghis-ize at the moment... I played for 3 1/2 hours straight at last night's gig, no breaks, no post-show luvin' :(...

snyprrr

Quote from: α | ì Æ ñ on August 20, 2017, 01:16:16 AM
Les Sept crimes de l'amour is so much fun. I'm listening to the much famed Recitations right now, bloody awesome  :-*

Jactations

snyprrr

brewski

Reviving this topic with a new recording of 14 Récitations for solo voice, from soprano Stephanie Lamprea. Hearing these years ago changed my ideas of what vocal music can be.

https://www.newfocusrecordings.com/catalogue/stephanie-lamprea-14-recitations/

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Mandryka

I like Stephanie Lampera's voice, a sort of mature soubrette. Very sexy.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

brewski

Uploaded yesterday from Ensemble Musikfabrik, Black Light (2019) with double bassist Florentin Ginot. A big, growly, virtuosic bear of a piece, beautifully filmed in black-and-white.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)