Georges Aperghis (b. 1945)

Started by snyprrr, July 28, 2011, 11:12:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Georges Aperghis (1945-)

http://www.aperghis.com/

Well, I'm sitting here with this cd, 'Simulacres', by the Greek Composer Georges Aperghis (1945-), and I'm realizing where 'that' kind of Music came from. 'that' Music being the serialist/sprectralist rendering in sound of the sex act! Apparently Aperghis is The Man to go to for this kind of Theater.

I've been ever so intrigued by this fellow, and, seeing that the Zig-Zag Territories cd 'Musique de Chambre' is totally MIA (how can a label like that be cutting out an issue like this??,... mindboggling ???), I took the plunge on this 2cd set from Accord. 'Simulacres' is played by the group Accroche Note, featuring the soprano Francoise Kubler in much of the action.

First off, let me say that I'm by no means friendly to stuff that's too 'Frenchy', and this stuff IS in spades, wow!! ::) I knew getting this that it wasn't going to be for 'pleasure', and, I certainly had the 'yikes' a few times already. I haven't made it to the purely instrumental works yet, having elected to brave the vocal works first.

Aperghis is the kind of Composer who writes for combos like soprano-bass clarinet-marimba (oh?, you know the type? ;D), and, this set seems to me to be the epitome of such. Monnet and Dusapin also have cds by this group, which are similar. So, with trepidation, and no expectations of love, I press 'Play'.

So far, my favorite piece is Sept Crimes de l'amour ('Seven Crimes of Love'?), and it is apparent from the get-go what 'kind' of love we're talking about, and what 'crimes'. I'll put it this way: at one point, the clarinet makes a...mm... 'butt popping' noise, followed by the soprano's seeming interjection of, Hey! :o not there!! :-*, and then a slap, and then something from the percussion, and so forth, at lightning speed. It's all very eye opening and ear popping, to be sure. This would be something I'd play for friends at a party!

The rest of the program consists of voice, clarinets, marimbas, pianos,... and even an old fashioned Clarinet Trio which I'm saving, meaning, that this is what I'd consider pretty 'French' Modern Chamber Music. You should all say 'good boy' for me forcing this on myself in the name of 'onward, forward'! ;) ;D There IS a new Kairos cd of works for saxes and viola, which promises at least an all instrumental programme, though, I am still itching to find a copy of that Chamber Music disc (anyone?).

I also have an Arditti SQ (with percussion) that mixes in a lot of vocalizing. Yes,... I don't know why I'm doing this either! ;D

Aperghis's most famous piece is Recitations, for single voice, a compendium of All-Things-Considered for the voice. I haven't made much headway here (the 'Frenchy' thing again), but I have to give him credit for being The One to do this thing,... though, I am still a bit confused as to what that this is. 'New Theater' might be an appellation. With him, there is always a visual element.

So, now, here's the coup. Aperghis has an Opera called avis le tempete ('Storm Warning'), which, from the samples, sounds like what's happening in my brain most often. It sounds so far out there that I may have to actually give... an Opera!! :o... a try. We'll see,... it seems like a very intriguing piece.

By now you're probably thinking, Hmm, this Aperghis sounds like the stuff I run screaming from! Well, I'm hear to hold your hand and say, There, there. It's not so bad. Go on, take another bite,... y'know, it's good for you!! ;) 8) :-*

Here comes the choo-choo train!! :D

The new erato

I thought the title was a misprint for Aspergers and that we finally would get a revelation about some of your postings.

;)

snyprrr

Francois-Bernard Mache (1935-) seems to have a similar trajectory. He is mostly know for his writings, and apparently is the founder of 'zoo-musicology' (whatever it's called), and he also loooves the sampling keyboard.

His discography is ten times as frustrating as Aperghis's, with the only readably available recording on Naxos, of all things! This is an interesting disc of Music for 2 Pianos (sometimes eight hands!), with a piece by Ohana also. This Naxos disc is only available through the EU.

I have an SQ of his on the same disc that has the Aperghis, and F-BM's is more 'normal' in that it eschews vocalizing. F-BM is considered by many to have some of the strongest affinities with the music of Xenakis, but here I don't not find such overt connections.

Mache's vocal music, however, from what I can gather, is freaky like Aperghis, maybe even more so. I hear in some samples the super speed of a sampling keyboard adding the strangest atmospheres to his work. There is a disc of Orchestral Music (which includes a harpsichord concerto for Elizabeth Choinacka) which may be on 'download', but, like I said, his stuff is pretty unavailable even on Amazon.fr.

Frankly, I weary of writing at the moment. Talk amongst yourselves....

snyprrr

Quote from: The new erato on July 28, 2011, 11:16:45 AM
I thought the title was a misprint for Aspergers and that we finally would get a revelation about some of your postings.

;)

No,... it's only Thursday! ;)

Any interest in these two?

snyprrr

Quote from: Greg on July 28, 2011, 02:31:19 PM
Is this Recitations?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGG7ebp2VJk

Sept Crimes extract:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wgZ7guG-MQ

...eh???...  ??? ::)

Oh, that second one is funny! :o ;D Yea, that's exactly the feeling the cd conveys,... but the visual element is astounding! Sure, the music works by itself, but when I see what the Composer himself has composed visually, I applaud. I admit that it's not exactly my cup of tea, but I certainly give Aperghis his due respect. This piece is extremely entertaining, haha. ;)

I'm not sure you like it?

Bruce is the only one around here who I think has expressed an interest in Recitations. I can say that after this current disc, I need more than one solo voice to please me. Well,... you know...

It appears that in your clip Recitations is being performed by a group of 'one'. Like I said, unless I was dating one of the singers, it's not my cup of tea (at least a violin,... or something).

I think that that is part of Aperghis's 'bag': there's always something 'missing'. Many of his Titles indicate as such. I get the feeling that unless you are having wonderful friends over for dinner at your Swiss chalet, you ('one') won't be getting Aperghis. I do get the whiff of very expensive French stuff whilst listening to this music. Hey! it's music to feel snooty by!! ;)

Port anyone?

snyprrr

snyprrr

I finally got the 'Musique de Chambre' disc, making now 23 pieces of Chamber Music I have by this most theatrical of Composers. That's 23 pieces excluding all the big pieces like Recitations.

The 'Musique de Chambre' disc contains pieces suited for the Art Museum,... how else to explain a piece named Requiem Furtif for solo violin and Japanese hand-clappers? (and it's as Artfully done as can be imagined) In Cinq Pieces pour Esperou et Violincelle (1994), an instrument had to be built to realize the piece, an instrument that does, as the notes say, sound like a 'sick' cello. Oh, but there is so much more going on here. In all, this recital hits me hard, totally taking me by surprise.

The pieces on this album complement the 'Simulacres' 2cd set beautifully. You will get an extraordinary overview of this Composer for whim the human voice permeates all instrumentation. Many of these pieces sound like they were written by Xenakis's slightly more earthy cousin. The general atmosphere can be glimpsed in the Late Xenakis La Deesse Athena (1992), a rare Chamber Vocal Work. I'll admit that this isn't 'I-want-to-hear-this-always', but it may be just what you one day!!

The Kairos disc of saxophones, & solo viola, pieces (and in combination) leaves a slightly different aftertaste. The sounds of the saxophones, and the viola, cause a fuzzy darkness, as at dusk, a Rothko painting, which leaves one wanting port and chocolates! The centerpiece, Crosswind (1997), for sax quartet and viola, contains quite a humorous part towards the end where the music abruptly stops and is immediately replaced by the voices of the one female viola player, and the four men, in what sounds like a bunch of nerdy ducks trying to all ask out on a date a beautiful and coy swan,... well, the piece rates high in my book, haha!

Signaux (1978), for 12 saxophones, a rare early(-ier) work, I found a rare dud in the Aperghis canon. The closest sonic companion here would be Xenakis's mellowest (only mellow?) piece Epei (for winds & double bass). It's quite static and repetitive in a very drab way, nothing really happening. Technically, as the last piece on this particular recital, it works great, but, as a stand alone, it makes no impart at all. The only other piece by Aperghis I wasn't immediately keen on is the 12 cello work Totem, which, might have suffered a little because of the recording (still, it was rather long for what it offered,... though, perhaps, I could have saved this album)

I now have a nice little intimate portrait of one of our senior Living Masters, and I so feel like going down to the Main St. Theater and putting on something really classy for these bums, haha! No, Aperghis seems to me to illicit a feeling of jealousy towards a man who is so obviously living many of our dreams.

I am very much now considering either (or both) the oratorio Die Hamletmaschine, or the opera Avis le Tempete. Snippets on YouTube reveal...

snyprrr

I have been listening to this French lady singing for about a month(sss) now, this 'Simulacres' set, and... I don't know what to say. This Music makes me feel so oui oui, how you say, frenchyfrench? Like I said, chocolates and port,...the Merovingian in The Matrix.

Also, I found a 24th piece that I already had, four pieces for harpsichord that I was reminded I had on a Choinacka disc. It certainly 'felt' like an Aperghis piece; ha, I must be getting it! You haaave to 'picture' the performance in your head, with Aperghis.

I maintain that a lot of his music sounds pretty much like so many different aspects of Xenakis, with a more 'human', humorous, mmm, 'attitude'. Once you become accustomed to the 'invisible', theatrical, aspect of this music, it illicits a level of contemplation that many other Modern Musics do not. Truly Aperghis has 'something' new. I can see where only those who are open to this should even attempt to come here. If you enjoy wrestling with music you probably might not initially like, Aperghis is a class act. At least, he's making me feel like it's evening in Paris and ready for the theater to begin!

snyprrr

No love,... not even from you Bruce? :'(

snyprrr

San Antone

I've been listening to this CD from Kairos:

Crosswind / Genevieve Strosser, viola
Alter ego / Marcus Weiss, tenor saxophone
Rasch / Genevieve Strosser, viola; Pierre-Stephane Meuge, saxophone
Volte face / Genevieve Strosser, viola
Signaux / XASAX

snyprrr

Quote from: sanantonio on February 10, 2014, 06:55:30 AM
I've been listening to this CD from Kairos:

Crosswind / Genevieve Strosser, viola
Alter ego / Marcus Weiss, tenor saxophone
Rasch / Genevieve Strosser, viola; Pierre-Stephane Meuge, saxophone
Volte face / Genevieve Strosser, viola
Signaux / XASAX

That's just all around a nice hour. Let's recap what the basic Aperghis Collection looks like:

'Teeter Totter': (Kairos) THIS is The One to get. Big, meaty chamber works- a swingin' wild bass solo- something else- best single introduction.

'Simulacres' (2cd; Accord): solos, duos, trios, chamber with vocal. A mandatory second purchase.

recital (ZigZag Territories); solos, duos, trios, chamber with vocal, also featuring custon (torture) instruments. Ultra rare, but essential.

sax/viola recital (Kairos) Your third or fourth purchase. Most people's first (though  the first above should be- Buy Both Now!)

Choinacka Avant harpsichord recital (Adda): one nice harpsichord piece that fits perfectly with the first set.

'From France' (Arditti; Montaigne): a triple piece for SQ and percussion, featuring custom percussion (torture) instruments.

Then there's the vocal music:

'Recitations' (Montaigne): his classic solo vocal avant theater.

'Jactations' (?): the male version- on YT.

'Machinations' (Accord?): the version for four females and overhead projector(!).

And the 'Operas':

'Hamletsmachine'

'Avis de temps' These two should find some new fans here, eh? Now that we have a 'Brokeback' Opera, I guess Aperghis's version of avant opera might seem quaint, were it not for the fact that they are aurally exhausting, such is the per-square-inch density. Sure, it sounds like Xenakis's more subjective cousin- somewhat Xenakis's literary concerns with post-Xenakian Dusapin-like- but-

Aperghis can best describes as JITTERY!! Like the jittery parts of Xenakis, lots of not necessarily chaotic things going on a once, or in micro succession. You know, just writing this is getting the juices flowing for some Aperghis. I haven't yet made the commitment with the Operas- there IS electric guitar!- but with the dearth of New Composers to dote upon, I turn backwards.

Get 'Teeter Totter' and call me in the morning!

nathanb

The two Cypres discs, the two KAIROS discs, the NEOS disc, the NEOS recording of Situations, and some recording of Recitations.

Get them all.

snyprrr

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on January 25, 2017, 08:51:02 PM
I'm here Snyprrr, I'll try to take this thread as a guide unless you have more suggestions to make.

I've seen his name mentioned a few times and hes also on your profile, I'm temped to give his work a concentrated listening.
Is he much like Schnebel?   (who I've explored but never really "got")

:)

Nervous energy is the watchword of the day.

I had been thinking of an Aperghis-a-thon,... though I have not given in to his vocal side so much, so I don't have all the famous vocal solos and all.

I recommend the 'Teeter Totter' disc first only because it has two large ensemble works as representation. Or, go whole hog on the 'Avie le tempete' or 'Hamletmachine'(?)...

Maybe think of him as starting off somewhat where Xenakis vocals end... uh, maybe not?

I basically lift him up as the ultimate in hip self styled freelance artist trying to incorporate all.... maybe a bit BA Zimmermann in a French, more hedonistic, bent?

In the Library right now, he's next to Late Kagel, Radulescu, Mache, Hespos, Terzakis, Tiensuu,... all the more individualistic of the 2nd Wave of High Modernism Composers,... but there is some of the IX aesthetic I think, but more "human" based instead of "mathematically" based...

Schnebel?,... is that the hilarious 'Maulwerk'? Gotta check it out!! I have Schnebel's SQs on NEOS, found him solidly in line with all the standard greats there... but I think he has a wider reputation as a Kagelesque vocal innovator,... check out 'Maulwerk'!! :laugh:

snyprrr

Quote from: nathanb on January 26, 2017, 06:01:35 AM
The two Cypres discs, the two KAIROS discs, the NEOS disc, the NEOS recording of Situations, and some recording of Recitations.

Get them all.

I do like the Arditti work for SQ plus percussion trio,... it might be the single best thing I have of his,... multimedia is certainly "his bag, baby!". And he likes homemade instruments that sound like torture devices! But he's not Zorn... outwardly...

I'd say, if you want to feel oh so smart about yourself, Aperghis is the guy to collect. And Roger Reynolds,lol,... they even look the same,... the "Chads" of Classical, haha!!

But, I'd say Kagel sounds "obvious" next to the likes of Aperghis???

Oh, I'm so excited you guys found the Thread! ;)    and I still like the ThreadTitle 8)

snyprrr

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on January 26, 2017, 01:21:51 PM

Yeah, vocal music is always hit or miss for me. Opera is a touchy subject too for me, it's very rarely that you'll see me enjoying an opera that isn't "avantgarde"...maybe?...

I can't stand that "la la la la la" soprano stuff or the bass/baritones with the "ahhhhh..." stuff either. But somehow I love love love the Mahler song cycles....  :-[

Anyhow back to Aperghis, I've so far heard the following: (from youtube of course)

(bits of) Recitations
Avis De Tempe-te
Sept Crimes de l'amour
Anakrousis
Champ-contrechamp
Kryptogramma

And downloaded a bunch of his scores from his website   ;)

Interesting you bring up our god Iannis, I hear his influence but Aperghis does sound very different from Xenakis.
There are different Xenakian coloring's sprinkled over some of the works (especially ensemble and orchestral), from the limited amount of music I've heard from him. But I don't yet hear the resemblance in the vocal work.

I do though, hear a little resemblance of Kagel's Stattstheater and Dressur, though the theater side of Kagel isn't actually my favorite. Kagel's theater work is VERY entertaining and amusing (in the best possible way) regardless.

Yeah, I still don't know what to think of Schnebel's Maulwerke. It's not the most "out there" kind of thing I've heard but it is very "weird" to me, perhaps it's the physicality of it, I don't know. I do remember finding some of his chamber works to be palatable but I'm still not familiar with it though...

Marc Monnet also? for Frenchy IX.....

bhodges

Quote from: snyprrr on July 28, 2011, 06:50:25 PM
Bruce is the only one around here who I think has expressed an interest in Recitations. I can say that after this current disc, I need more than one solo voice to please me. Well,... you know...

It appears that in your clip Recitations is being performed by a group of 'one'. Like I said, unless I was dating one of the singers, it's not my cup of tea (at least a violin,... or something).

Completely missed this, but then, I don't see every post on this board, so...

BIG fan of RĂ©citations, but that said, it's a piece that you really have to hear and see. E.g., one of them asks the singer to drop pages of music on the floor. When I saw this at an intimate home recital, I reached down to pick up the dropped music, and the singer silently motioned me to sit down -- embarrassing! I thought her dropping the music was an accident, but no, was part of the work.

Last Aperghis I saw was online, Luna Park, which is fantastic. I saw it live, but here it is on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biTGIRROgZA

--Bruce