Your symphony want list?

Started by MusicTurner, January 17, 2022, 12:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

I want a complete Mozart cycle which is not Bohm, Marriner, Jeffrey Tate, Hogwood or Pinnock. Any suggestions?  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

amw

Adám Fischer is the only other option I know of offhand (although I assume at very least Naxos has its own, probably multi-conductor, integral).

Florestan

Quote from: amw on January 18, 2022, 10:22:09 AM
Adám Fischer is the only other option I know of offhand (although I assume at very least Naxos has its own, probably multi-conductor, integral).

Thanks. There is also this:

Norichika Iimori, Yamagata Symphony Orchestra

Never heard about him nor about them.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Jo498

There is also Levine/Vienna/DG, Hans Graf/Mozarteum (Capriccio/Delta, if findable at all, should be cheap), both from the late 1980s, and a mixed Harnoncourt (1-27 Concentus Musicus on RCA/Sony, 25,28-41 with Concertgebouw on Teldec/warner). Was Mackerras/Telarc complete? Not sure. The oldest is Leinsdorf (orig. Westminster, partially mono, on CD by DG)

Never heard of the Japanese one.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

amw

Quote from: Florestan on January 18, 2022, 10:29:24 AM

Iimori has done some decent Haydn, as far as I can recall. Sort of Mackerras-ish.

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on January 18, 2022, 10:36:03 AM
There is also Levine/Vienna/DG, Hans Graf/Mozarteum (Capriccio/Delta, if findable at all, should be cheap), both from the late 1980s, and a mixed Harnoncourt (1-27 Concentus Musicus on RCA/Sony, 25,28-41 with Concertgebouw on Teldec/warner). Was Mackerras/Telarc complete? Not sure. The oldest is Leinsdorf (orig. Westminster, partially mono, on CD by DG)

Never heard of the Japanese one.

Ooops, I forgot that I also have Mackerras. Thanks for the other tips.

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Jo498

It's pretty interesting how the CD boom motivated labels to get all the Mozart symphonies out on CD in time for the 1991 anniversary. Philips mostly relied on its older (Marriner, Krips) recordings for the complete Mozart edition and I think the Hogwood was already begun in the late 1970s, maybe independently of the anniversary (as it had the then USP of old instruments). But Tate/EMI, Graf/Capriccio, Levine/DG, Pinnock/Archiv and Mackerras/Telarc were all done at that time.

In the LP age before there was, I believe, only Leinsdorf (not well distributed and probably mostly oop in the 70s/80s), Böhm (probably the best known) and Marriner/Krips (Marriner completed his own in the 80s)

It's a pity that Capriccio could not get Sandor Vegh to record most of the symphonies. He did a lot of serenades and divertimenti. Graf is good in the symphonies I have heard but far from the special way Vegh has in his best recordings.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on January 18, 2022, 11:16:40 AM
It's a pity that Capriccio could not get Sandor Vegh to record most of the symphonies. He did a lot of serenades and divertimenti.

For the life of me I can't understand why he didn't record my favorite of them all, the Posthorn.   :o

Otherwise that incomplete yet bulky cycle is fabulous.

kyjo

Quote from: Florestan on January 18, 2022, 09:53:15 AM
I want a complete Mozart cycle which is not Bohm, Marriner, Jeffrey Tate, Hogwood or Pinnock. Any suggestions?  :D

As amw suggests, Adam Fischer's cycle with the Danish National Chamber Orchestra is superb. Relatively HIP in style (with prominent, crisp timpani) but on modern instruments and not devoid of vibrato.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Daverz

Quote from: Florestan on January 18, 2022, 11:19:44 AM
For the life of me I can't understand why he didn't record my favorite of them all, the Posthorn.   :o

Otherwise that incomplete yet bulky cycle is fabulous.

The google machine tells me he recorded the Posthorn for Philips.

How did this get to Mozart serenades?

Symphony series I'd like to see completed: Guarnieri, Santoro (I see that Naxos has recorded 2 more), and Diamond.  Oh, and more Rosenberg than just 3 & 6.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Florestan on January 18, 2022, 10:29:24 AM

Never heard about him nor about them.

Jfyi.

http://iimori-norichika.com/

Florestan

Quote from: Daverz on January 18, 2022, 02:53:47 PM
The google machine tells me he recorded the Posthorn for Philips.

How did this get to Mozart serenades?

I have the Capriccio set:

and it doesn't have it.

Many thanks for the tip, though.

Florestan

Spotted Horses

Quote from: kyjo on January 18, 2022, 02:49:36 PM
As amw suggests, Adam Fischer's cycle with the Danish National Chamber Orchestra is superb. Relatively HIP in style (with prominent, crisp timpani) but on modern instruments and not devoid of vibrato.

Those recordings are nice, but a big irritation is that they did not include Symphony No 32 (KV318), presumably because they did not consider it a symphony (it is a single movement work in 3 distinct sections). It is one of my favorite works from that part of Mozart's career.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington