CD cover art designs

Started by hornteacher, April 06, 2007, 05:17:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

I like these two Shostakovich Harmonia Mundi covers a good bit:

TheGSMoeller

zmic

Quote from: Jay F on January 30, 2014, 07:40:09 AM

Thank you, Jeffrey. I like the Jerusalem's new cover so much, I'm going to order the CD. Plus I really like their Shostakovich and Brahms.

[asin]B0077DDXPM[/asin]

The dumb thing is that the Prazak Quartet have recently used the exact same painting for one of their Schönberg recordings.

SymphonicAddict

Very favorable for music

Mahlerian

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 29, 2014, 08:00:29 AM
Sarge just posted some buckeyes from this series on the WAYLT thread. What have buckeyes got to do with Beethoven String Quartets? Or cherries with Bach harpsichord concertos!? The only explanation for your posts is that you accidentally posted in this thread when you meant to post in the worst cd covers thread. Yeah, that must be it. Phew, I thought I was gonna have to knock heads for a minute there...  :-* :)
[asin]B0000942LM[/asin]

The one from that series that baffles me is the Reger String Quartets:

The Sibelius ice cubes are nice, though:

"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Parsifal

Quote from: Jay F on January 26, 2014, 03:00:43 PM
I came upon this thread while reading the "Worst Looking CD/LP Artwork," and decided I'd rather look at some un-uglies. I always liked the design of the DG-Philips-Decca Trio series.

[asin]B0009A4200[/asin] [asin]B0000942LO[/asin] [asin]B0001ZWGI8[/asin]

I also like those covers. It is even a bit fun to guess what about the three objects pictured is supposed to evoke the music contained.

cilgwyn

Quote from: Mahlerian on January 04, 2017, 05:42:48 AM
The one from that series that baffles me is the Reger String Quartets:

The Sibelius ice cubes are nice, though:

For some reason the Reger one made me laugh. Thanks for that MI! The first time I've laughed all day!! :( ;D Maybe the fact that I just had a bowl of mushroom soup had something to do with it?!!

Mahlerian

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 04, 2017, 09:14:59 AM
For some reason the Reger one made me laugh. Thanks for that MI! The first time I've laughed all day!! :( ;D Maybe the fact that I just had a bowl of mushroom soup had something to do with it?!!

Happy to spread mirth, but I'm Mahlerian, not Mirror Image.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Parsifal

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 04, 2017, 09:14:59 AM

I can't explain why in detail, but mushrooms for Reger seems particularly apt. Probably was a non-negligible in my decision to purchase.

Mirror Image

I always liked the paintings used for the Handley RVW series on Classics For Pleasure (EMI).

André

I really like that one:

It also happens to be the same as this:

Appropriately for the music at hand, it is a representation of Death. The title is La Mort et le fossoyeur, or Death and the Grave Digger.

pjme

SymphonicAddict

This is one I find cool and fresh. I like the shadows of the leaves on her face:

steve ridgway

I love the silvery metallic, futuristic look of the Philips late 60s Prospective 21e Siecle series of musique concrete and electronic albums. The perfect collection for anyone living in the city of the Mysterons.

There's a gallery of them here - http://www.hardformat.org/collections/prospective-21e-siecle/

Jo498

I like the general style of the examples in #252 with roughly contemporary or otherwise appropriate paintings, except for the Telarc Sheherazade and the Balakirev. Although several are not good with the contrast of the writing or simply too "busy", like the British light music. And I wouldn't call any of them great or especially memorable.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

SymphonicAddict

Not properly a CD cover art, but an LP one. Thinking of Langgaard's 10th Symphony I found this on the internet:

Quite cool! It fits very well the music.

André

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on November 06, 2019, 10:04:08 AM
Not properly a CD cover art, but an LP one. Thinking of Langgaard's 10th Symphony I found this on the internet:

Quite cool! It fits very well the music.

It's on cd, I have it ! Cover illustration by Corinne Gosset.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on September 26, 2019, 11:33:10 AM
I really like that one:

It also happens to be the same as this:

Appropriately for the music at hand, it is a representation of Death. The title is La Mort et le fossoyeur, or Death and the Grave Digger.

And here she is again:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

This:

It suits quite good to the music.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 15, 2022, 08:14:22 PM
This:

It suits quite good to the music.
Great cover Cesar.
I like this one as well:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).