"The Wire"

Started by lisa needs braces, July 01, 2007, 02:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lisa needs braces

Who else is a fan of this amazing American television series?

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/shows/wireseason4

Wiki intro:

QuoteThe Wire is an American television drama set and produced in Baltimore, Maryland. Created by writer/producer and former police reporter David Simon, the series is broadcast by the premium cable network HBO in the United States. The Wire premiered on June 2, 2002, with 50 episodes airing over the course of its first four seasons. HBO has ordered a fifth season, which Simon has said will be the show's last.[1][2]

The plot of the first season centers on the ongoing struggles between police units and drug-dealing gangs on the west side of the city, and is told from both points of view. Subsequent seasons have focused on other facets of the city. The large cast consists mainly of character actors who are little known for their other roles. Simon has said that despite its presentation as a crime drama, the show is "really about the American city, and about how we live together. It's about how institutions have an effect on individuals, and how... whether you're a cop, a longshoreman, a drug dealer, a politician, a judge [or] lawyer, you are ultimately compromised and must contend with whatever institution you've committed to."[3]

The Wire has received critical acclaim for its realistic portrayal of urban life and uncommonly deep exploration of sociological themes, and has been called the best show on television by TIME,[4][5] Entertainment Weekly,[6] The Guardian,[7] the Chicago Tribune,[8] Slate,[9] the San Francisco Chronicle[10] and the Philadelphia Daily News.[11] Despite the positive reviews, the show has failed to draw a large audience.

Stephen King article:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1333799,00.html

"The Wire is a staggering achievement."

Etc.

Any fans?

Szykneij

I've never seen the show, but I did visit Baltimore last summer and really enjoyed my stay. I can see how the city would make a great setting for a TV series.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Solitary Wanderer

I saw the first season on DVD boxset last year and thought it was excellent. Gritty, urban crime dramas are one of my fave genres in TV.

But, I didn't think it was as good as other HBO series like The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Deadwood or Carnivale. :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

bwv 1080

Its my favorite TV show.  Looking forward to the new season, which I guess will be back to more of a straight cop show as perhaps Marlo is taken down.  Really was sorry to see Bodie go, he was one of my favorites

lisa needs braces

Quote from: bwv 1080 on July 01, 2007, 03:52:20 PM
Its my favorite TV show.  Looking forward to the new season, which I guess will be back to more of a straight cop show as perhaps Marlo is taken down.

It's funny but just about anybody who watches the show declares it as their favorite. And dude, that's a major spoiler for potential audiences!

KevinP

Nope, but just ordered season one for about US$18 for two reasons. First, a co-worker has been bugging me to watch it, and second, after finishing reading There are No Children Here (wihch was an extremely good non-fiction read about two brothers growing up in the ghetto), I did a web search on the author and found him participating in a discussion of the show, so that really piqued my interest.

Due to potential spoilers, I may not be involved with this here thread much.

KevinP

Finished season 2. GREAT stuff!!

lisa needs braces

Kevin, I'm so glad you enjoyed it!  :D

andy

The Wire is seriously brilliant TV... it's a intricate and compelling as a great novel. Probably my favorite all time TV show after Twin Peaks though I don't watch too much television.

I just stumbled across this article about the actress who plays Snoop today
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/15/AR2007031501664.html
Good reading. I had no idea they picked her up off the streets... and she was in jail for murdering a girl!

Anyhow, if you haven't seen it, you should because rarely is fiction this honest and revealing.

MN Dave

I didn't read this thread for fear of spoilers, but would like to post that I'm into the second season of this crime show. My wife and I like it so much we watch it nearly every night. Great TV! My favorite character is Omar...so far.

"Oh, in-deed."

Lethevich

A question: how does this show compare to The Shield? Obviously it will be less violent and corrupt, but does it have any parallels?
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

MN Dave

Quote from: Lethe on February 01, 2008, 07:11:20 AM
A question: how does this show compare to The Shield? Obviously it will be less violent and corrupt, but does it have any parallels?

Can't help you there. Someone else probably can.

ChamberNut

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on July 01, 2007, 03:38:49 PM
I saw the first season on DVD boxset last year and thought it was excellent. Gritty, urban crime dramas are one of my fave genres in TV.

But, I didn't think it was as good as other HBO series like The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Deadwood or Carnivale. :)

Six Feet Under is absolutely mine and my fiancee's favorite TV show of all time, by far.  Brilliant in so many ways.  I so wish it was still running. 

andy

Anyone been watching season 5 of The Wire?

The press theme seems good, Marlo is stepping it up, and I love the further look into politics. Overall a good season so far, though it seems slightly weaker than season 4.

Iago

What is this "fear of spoilers" business?.

Aren't people that think the show is "less" than what others think it is, entitled to their opinions?
"Good", is NOT good enough, when "better" is expected

MN Dave

Quote from: Iago on February 01, 2008, 10:18:12 AM
What is this "fear of spoilers" business?.

Aren't people that think the show is "less" than what others think it is, entitled to their opinions?

"Spoilers" as in ruining the upcoming shows for those who haven't seen them yet by discussing them.

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Lethe on February 01, 2008, 07:11:20 AM

I've seen the first two seasons of The Shield on DVD boxset and preferred it to The Wire of which I've only seen the first season.

The Shield is a bit cartoonish at times and tongue in cheek but enjoyable entertainment, if very violent at times. The Wire is darker and more brooding.
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Lethevich

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on February 01, 2008, 10:28:59 AM
I've seen the first two seasons of The Shield on DVD boxset and preferred it to The Wire of which I've only seen the first season.

The Shield is a bit cartoonish at times and tongue in cheek but enjoyable entertainment, if very violent at times. The Wire is darker and more brooding.

Ahh lucky :P I own the Shield up to season 4, and while it remained quite good, the first two seasons are by far the best. I guess I'll try the Wire if I see it cheap.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

MN Dave

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on February 01, 2008, 10:28:59 AM

I like darker and more brooding.  ;D

BachQ

Quote from: Lethe on February 01, 2008, 10:49:08 AM
Ahh lucky :P I own the Shield up to season 4, and while it remained quite good, the first two seasons are by far the best. I guess I'll try the Wire if I see it cheap.

I'm up to season 5 of The Shield, and I prefer it to The Wire's 1st season (the only season I've seen so far).

The Shield is more entertaining and engaging, while The Wire is more intellectually appealing ........