"The Wire"

Started by lisa needs braces, July 01, 2007, 02:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lisa needs braces

The guy behind "The Wire" is a former journalist, and he has quite the ego, and here he explains the differences between "The Wire" and "The Shield."

So much of American drama – Look at "The Shield." Not to get into "The Shield" specifically, but nothing is more the quintessential American dramatic impulse than to make the individual bigger than the institutions which he serves. Vic Mackey, he is the id that rages well beyond the L.A.P.D. It's "What is he capable of? What is he not capable of?"

"The Wire" has not only gone the opposite way, it's resisted the idea that, in this post-modern America, individuals triumph over institutions. The institution is always bigger. It doesn't tolerate that degree of individuality on any level for any length of time. These moments of epic characterization are inherently false. They're all rooted in, like, old Westerns or something. Guy rides into town, cleans up the town, rides out of town.

There's no cleaning it up anymore. There's no riding in, there's no riding out. The town is what it is.

andy

Quote from: Dm on February 01, 2008, 11:16:21 AM

I'm up to season 5 of The Shield, and I prefer it to The Wire's 1st season (the only season I've seen so far).

The Shield is more entertaining and engaging, while The Wire is more intellectually appealing ........

I haven't seen too much of The Shield, but it seemed to me like an average television show, designed for entertainment and to allow the viewer to turn her brain off for an hour. It's a feel good show.

The Wire paints a bleak view of reality... but an honest view. The cops don't catch the drug dealers, one detective doesn't make a huge case due to his brilliant insight. The Wire shows the truth about the drug war: we catch the kids on the streets, but never move up the ladder to the kingpins. It shows the reality of inner city schools, politics, journalism, and the death of the working class.

Comparing the Shield to the Wire is like comparing Nora Roberts to Leo Tolstoy. Nora's books may make you feel good, but they don't contain any substance.
... or it's like comparing Yanni to Beethoven.

BachQ

Quote from: andy on February 02, 2008, 10:30:26 AM
... but they don't contain any substance. ...

Yeah, a person seeking a reality-based show with substance will be disappointed with The Shield ...... And, as you suggest, it really depends on what the viewer is in the mood for ........ :D 

KevinP

Nobody goes into The Wire expecting what it delivers. After you start watching it, however, it rewires your expectations and desires of what television can do.

On the season three DVDs, there is panel recording with David Simon where he points out that the various CSI shows had more murders in one season than the cities in which they were set had in the same year. The Wire's genius is in its anti-sensationalism. I'm one of many viewers who just can't watch other cop shows any more.  The Wire just undermines them all.

BachQ

Quote from: KevinP on February 02, 2008, 10:30:26 PM
On the season three DVDs, there is panel recording with David Simon where he points out that the various CSI shows had more murders in one season than the cities in which they were set had in the same year.

:D

andy

Quote from: Dm on February 02, 2008, 11:49:27 AM

Yeah, a person seeking a reality-based show with substance will be disappointed with The Shield ...... And, as you suggest, it really depends on what the viewer is in the mood for ........ :D 

Yeah, sometimes a show like The Shield is good, like after a long day of work when you just need to relax, but sometimes, it's good to get a dose of The Wire... reminds me how good I have it. There's a place for both, and I'm glad that networks like HBO are stepping up and making intellectual shows to bridge the gap.