New York City Opera Company

Started by suzyq, August 06, 2011, 05:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suzyq

It's so sad to read about the NYCO situation.  I fear that this Company will fade away.

Whoever is running the show is making a big mistake by using different venues.  It seems to make more sense to
keep the company and orchestra together and give conert versions  of operas in the same space whether the Brooklyn
Academy of Music, Town Hall or  John Jay for example.  Many colleges and universities have theaters,

Moving around to difference venues will lose the support they have now - I'm curious to know if they tried to
make a deal with Lincoln Center.

Let's hope that we don't lose the New York City Opera

zamyrabyrd

So, what's happening with them? Is it for the coming season?

ZB
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

suzyq

The company has no music director, he left the company.  The orchestra and chorus have been disbanded or they are a small ensemble, not really sure.

As far as I know, performances will be given at John Jay College and I think the Brooklyn Academy of Music.  They will no longer perfom at the
David Koch (NY State Theatre) at Lincoln Center. 

Hope someone more knowledgable then me will add to this sad state of affairs.

Superhorn

George Manahan, the  NYC opera's respected music director, did not leave the company. He  has been let go ! 
   This is very bad. A major opera company needs a music director. This is a key position.

suzyq

Quote from: Superhorn on August 07, 2011, 12:23:45 PM
   George Manahan, the  NYC opera's respected music director, did not leave the company. He  has been let go ! 
   This is very bad. A major opera company needs a music director. This is a key position.

Thanks Superhorn - it's a sad state of affairs - I wonder if things will turn around for them.