Giovanni Gabrieli - Music for Brass

Started by Vesteralen, August 09, 2011, 01:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vesteralen

Though I've listened to a good bit of Renaissance music that I've gotten out of my local (62 branch) library system, I do not have any Renaissance music currently in my CD collection.

My collection starts with Giovanni Gabrieli, and the Naxos Music for Brass, Vol 1 with Eric Crees and the London Symphony Orchestra Brass.  I'm considering purchasing Vols 2 & 3 of this series, but I have read on-line reviews claiming that, unless you've heard this music performed with original instruments (sackbuts, and the like), you haven't really heard it.

Personally, I'm not sure I would go for sackbuts.

Any sackbut fans out there?   ;)

petrarch

Quote from: Vesteralen on August 09, 2011, 01:39:03 PM
Any sackbut fans out there?   ;)

I am a huge fan of early music and got into the genre by way of the Venetian composers. It is indeed true that it needs to be heard in period instruments with performance technique that (despite all controversy) tries to emulate how it would be played originally. There is something about the timbre and balance of the instruments that is lost if you play those pieces using their more modern counterparts.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: petrarch on August 10, 2011, 03:56:58 AM
I am a huge fan of early music and got into the genre by way of the Venetian composers.

More proof of the link between fans of modern music and fans of early music...

QuoteIt is indeed true that it needs to be heard in period instruments with performance technique that (despite all controversy) tries to emulate how it would be played originally. There is something about the timbre and balance of the instruments that is lost if you play those pieces using their more modern counterparts.

While I encourage anyone to listen to period instruments and see if they like it, I still think modern instrument performances are enjoyable. Most of the Gabrieli I have is modern (like the notorious Chicago-Cleveland-Phila. brass recording, and a disc by Empire Brass), and it just sounds more robust and dramatic than cornetts and sackbuts.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

mc ukrneal

Quote from: petrarch on August 10, 2011, 03:56:58 AM
I am a huge fan of early music and got into the genre by way of the Venetian composers. It is indeed true that it needs to be heard in period instruments with performance technique that (despite all controversy) tries to emulate how it would be played originally. There is something about the timbre and balance of the instruments that is lost if you play those pieces using their more modern counterparts.
'Needs' is a bit strong. Some poeple like it one way and some the other.

My suggestion to the OP would be to try and listen to both and decide which is preferred. Better to do it now than find out later you want to replace everything. Personally, good music well played - well, it doesn't matter what instruments are used. It will still sound good.

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

petrarch

Quote from: mc ukrneal on August 10, 2011, 04:23:13 AM
'Needs' is a bit strong.

Agreed. When I wrote needs, I meant as in to compare first-hand (or first-ear?) and judge what is preferred. Although I prefer period instruments in general, there's something about early pianos that I don't quite like--give me a proper modern concert grand! :).
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Vesteralen

Thanks, everyone.  Fortunately, I was able to find a couple of period instrument recordings of at least a few Gabrieli works at my local library system.  It should be enough to give me an idea of whether I want to pursue it or not.

Sackbuts, forsooth....;)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Velimir on August 10, 2011, 04:01:46 AM
I still think modern instrument performances are enjoyable. Most of the Gabrieli I have is modern (like the notorious Chicago-Cleveland-Phila. brass recording...

I haven't heard that in years. I took my old LP off the shelf, blew the dust off, and listening to it now  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

calyptorhynchus

I agree that G Gabrieli's music needs to be played on pi. I was never happy with those Naxos disks, because the sound is too hard and brilliant on pure brass, it needs older brass instruments mixed with cornetts (not the same as cornets), shawms &c to give warmth and depth.

That Hyperion disk is good, but it's a pity there isn't a complete G Gabrieli instrumental music on pi. And while they're about it they can throw in a complete Uncle Andrea instrument music too!
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton