Objective review of Republican candidates for President

Started by Todd, August 13, 2011, 07:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 14, 2011, 09:37:27 AMWell I've tried to find the good in this country but it's excruciatingly difficult to find.

It is an established fact that young people know everything, so your pronouncement fills my heart with sorrow.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

Quote from: Todd on August 14, 2011, 10:21:35 AM

It is an established fact that young people know everything, so your pronouncement fills my heart with sorrow.

Said the guy who disagrees with somebody just because they showed some true genuine emotion and said something against their precious America. ::)

Szykneij

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 14, 2011, 10:47:23 AM
Said the guy who disagrees with somebody just because they showed some true genuine emotion and said something against their precious America. ::)

Personally, I do think this country is precious despite its faults. Since you can find no good here, where are you considering moving to?
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Todd

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 14, 2011, 10:47:23 AMSaid the guy who disagrees with somebody just because they showed some true genuine emotion and said something against their precious America.

Um, okay.  Here's a tip: try tossing in a bit of reason in your responses.  Emotional, knee-jerk responses are basically worthless.

springrite

Quote from: Szykneij on August 14, 2011, 10:58:10 AM
Personally, I do think this country is precious despite its faults. Since you can find no good here, where are you considering moving to?

I don't think we need to come to that. I lived in the US for 22 years, and have been back to China for almost 10 years now. I can find lots of faults in both countries, but I have little problem living in them. I don't find the "If you don't like it here get the hell out" thing helpful, logical, or even making any sense.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Szykneij

Quote from: springrite on August 14, 2011, 11:05:12 AM
I don't think we need to come to that. I lived in the US for 22 years, and have been back to China for almost 10 years now. I can find lots of faults in both countries, but I have little problem living in them. I don't find the "If you don't like it here get the hell out" thing helpful, logical, or even making any sense.

Yes, all countries have their faults, but MI's view is
Quote from: Mirror Image on August 14, 2011, 09:37:27 AM
Well I've tried to find the good in this country but it's excruciatingly difficult to find.

If he's having trouble finding any good here, then I don't think he'll be happy anywhere.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

springrite

Quote from: Szykneij on August 14, 2011, 11:10:26 AM
If he's having trouble finding any good here, then I don't think he'll be happy anywhere.

Thus the best policy is to stay put and listen to HVL, Ginastera, Rubbra, Milhaud and go on with it, no?  ;D

Szykneij

Quote from: springrite on August 14, 2011, 11:13:23 AM
Thus the best policy is to stay put and listen to HVL, Ginastera, Rubbra, Milhaud and go on with it, no?  ;D

Works for me   ;)

Todd

Quote from: Szykneij on August 14, 2011, 11:10:26 AMIf he's having trouble finding any good here, then I don't think he'll be happy anywhere.

Maybe somewhere in Polynesia.  You can just sit on the beach all day.  Then again, brooding youngsters are mighty tough to please.

Brian

Quote from: Todd on August 14, 2011, 11:15:44 AM
Maybe somewhere in Polynesia.  You can just sit on the beach all day.  Then again, brooding youngsters are mighty tough to please.

Polynesia stopped being great for brooding youngsters when all the local gals got STDs.

Mirror Image, in all honesty, living in the UK and its culture (for all its flaws [see: riot]) has made me realize that moving to a culture which suits you need not be as seismic a shift as some people might have it. True, I'll always basically be an American by birth, but I would come back to Europe in a heartbeat and once I have some job skills which would transfer profitably back over here, I kind of hope I'll be able to do so.

That really does not have much to do with politics. But my close encounters with Rick Perry and the hyperreligious whackjobs who love him are sort of reinforcing that instinct right now and reminding me of certain aspects of America I certainly do not miss.

DavidW

Hey MI could you delete the white space in your sig?  You have a huge amount of white space after the quote.

Brian

Quote from: DavidW on August 14, 2011, 01:28:31 PM
Hey MI could you delete the white space in your sig?  You have a huge amount of white space after the quote.

Actually that's caused by the "Currently Listening To:" paragraph on the left. All his posts have to be long enough to accommodate it. The signature is only one line long. Kinda similar to your post, actually. :)

DavidW

Oh shit you're right!  Let me get rid of some of my white space. :)

Brian

Quote from: DavidW on August 14, 2011, 01:40:06 PM
Oh shit you're right!  Let me get rid of some of my white space. :)

The funny thing is, emboldened by the size of your avatar, I created a bigger version of my avatar, the same horizontal dimension as yours but shorter vertically (though still taller than my current model). But when I uploaded it... the forum software shrank it back down to the size of my current one! Humbug.

DavidW

Quote from: Brian on August 14, 2011, 01:42:31 PM
The funny thing is, emboldened by the size of your avatar, I created a bigger version of my avatar, the same horizontal dimension as yours but shorter vertically (though still taller than my current model). But when I uploaded it... the forum software shrank it back down to the size of my current one! Humbug.

Ah shuckins!  Well there I've traded up avatars too, really short now. Hope MI will abbreviate his currently listening to: the 20th century. ;D  Much more to the point. $:)

Daverz

The days of the liberal Republican -- they did exist! -- were long past even before I came of voting age, and the moderate Republicans disappeared in the last decade or so, so I'd never vote for any Republican.  Obama is a huge disappointment in terms of both policy outcomes and political ability, and I don't expect him to improve in a second term, but the Republicans have gotten so insane that it's important to vote against them whenever possible. 

I assume the general voting public won't go for another Texas governor so soon -- particularly one who even talks just like W -- but the voting public usually finds a way to confound and astonish me.

My assumption is that Romney will be the eventual nominee.  No one likes him, but I think Republican voters will eventually fall into line around the establishment candidate. 

I also think it's a safe assumption that the economy is not going to improve in the next 13 months and that Romney will have a very good chance of winning the general election.  I predict that any winning Republican candidate will not have much if any coattails, though.

DavidW

Quote from: Daverz on August 14, 2011, 01:49:30 PM
The days of the liberal Republican -- they did exist! -- were long past even before I came of voting age, and the moderate Republicans disappeared in the last decade or so, so I'd never vote for any Republican.  Obama is a huge disappointment in terms of both policy outcomes and political ability, and I don't expect him to improve in a second term, but the Republicans have gotten so insane that it's important to vote against them whenever possible. 

That is exactly how I feel.  I would vote for a centrist, classic conservative Republican, but they died out.  Obama is a big disappointment but at least he's not a nutter.  The Republican party needs to reinvent themselves, but the tea party is not the way to do it.

Bulldog

Quote from: Daverz on August 14, 2011, 01:49:30 PM

I also think it's a safe assumption that the economy is not going to improve in the next 13 months and that Romney will have a very good chance of winning the general election. 

That's just what we need - a guy with one testicle against a guy with none.

springrite

Quote from: DavidW on August 14, 2011, 02:01:24 PM
The Republican party needs to reinvent themselves, but the tea party is not the way to do it.

It is more like The Whiskey Party.

Choosing between incompetence and nuttiness is a tough one... I am glad I don't have to choose. I'd feel guilty either way.

Sergeant Rock

Why I'm voting for Michele Bachmann:

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"