Objective review of Republican candidates for President

Started by Todd, August 13, 2011, 07:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: eyeresist on February 10, 2012, 12:26:02 AMRudd was brought down because he backed away from pushing carbon trading legislation through parliament, one of the mandates he was elected on. The mining tax was one of the sticks the opposition beat him with as he retreated.

From what I've read, the MRRT is lower than the proposed RSPT that preceded it, and applies only to companies that earn over $75 million in profit, and even then is contingent upon earnings being a certain percentage over the long term Australian sovereign interest rate, or something to that effect.  True, false?  It's also my understanding that the RSPT was to be applied to all extractive industries, whereas the MRRT is, in effect, more limited.  True, false?  And some estimates I've read on the MRRT conclude that it may not raise as much revenue as feared/hoped for, depending on one's viewpoint, with some estimates at around $1.8 billion a year, though I believe the Australian government estimates are higher.  The ten year decrease in revenue as a result of adopting the MRRT instead of the RSPT is in the tens of billions of dollars per even the Australian Treasury.  So after Rudd left, for whatever reason or reasons, it appears that a tax fiercely opposed by a big industry was altered and cut back significantly before being implemented.  On the plus side, there's more revenue.  On the negative side, it sure looks like a giant industry used its muscle to get a big reduction.  So Australian politics are significantly different from the rest of the world's how again? 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

eyeresist

Quote from: Todd on February 10, 2012, 07:24:24 AMSo after Rudd left, for whatever reason or reasons, it appears that a tax fiercely opposed by a big industry was altered and cut back significantly before being implemented.  On the plus side, there's more revenue.  On the negative side, it sure looks like a giant industry used its muscle to get a big reduction.  So Australian politics are significantly different from the rest of the world's how again?
The above facts are correct. Nonetheless, it remains a tax on "super" profits by non-Australian mining companies. Admittedly a populist gesture (attempting to deflect criticism for failure of carbon trading bills) that backfired politically.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brad KnickerbockerBut in a new Public Policy Polling (PPP) national poll of usual Republican primary voters, released Saturday, Santorum is at 38 percent to 23 percent for Romney, 17 percent for Gingrich, and 13 percent for Paul.

RTWT here.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Todd

The phrase "usual Republican primary voters" is of course the key.  Primary voters of both parties are often the true believers.

I can't see Santorum taking the nomination, but if he managed to, I'll bet Obama would be celebrating Christmas early.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

eyeresist

Quote from: karlhenning on February 13, 2012, 05:12:27 AM
RTWT here.

Another weird thing about the USA: the Christian Science Monitor is, in the scheme of things, a serious news source.

Bulldog

Quote from: eyeresist on February 13, 2012, 02:08:00 PM
Another weird thing about the USA: the Christian Science Monitor is, in the scheme of things, a serious news source.

Always has been and deserves it.

Lethevich

Quote from: Bulldog on February 13, 2012, 02:32:20 PM
Always has been and deserves it.

[2] they seem a pretty professional outfit, and long-lived too.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

DavidW

jowcol

I suspect the Washington Post used this picture because Santorum's head blocked the word "for"

"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

DavidW

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

And Santorum is "leading or matching" Romney in the polls in Michigan, at this point.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

If Ricky gets the nod, I'm going to spend a good amount of time surfing the net to find anti-Santorum ads.  They're going to get nasty! 

Of course, if Romney gets the nod, anti-Obama ads will get nasty.  His Super PAC has the man who brought us Willie Horton!

Superhorn

Rick's name should really be Rick Sanctimonioustorum. 

;D                                  ;D                                             ;D :P                                   :P

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

Well, here's something I find unusual.  Of course, the big question really is who James Hetfield endorses.

(I should note that the endorsement has already been denied.)