Objective review of Republican candidates for President

Started by Todd, August 13, 2011, 07:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: karlhenning on March 14, 2012, 10:40:42 AMOh, no lie.  Still, as one journo puts it, "The presumptive nominee shouldn't finish third in both major states that voted on Tuesday."

But we're talking about Alabama and Mississippi.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Todd

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Todd on March 14, 2012, 10:56:01 AM
Don't discount them crafty Samoans!

I hereby attest that I did not, until reading that article, know that Mitt Romney's son was named Matt. Mitt & Matt . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

snyprrr

Todd

Romney crushes the competition in Puerto Rico!  Nice to see Buddy Roemer beating out Newt Gingrich and Fred Karger beating out Ron Paul.  Perhaps Roemer or Karger can have a late primary surge?

drogulus

Regarding Ron Paul, I'm reminded of what Hunter Thompson said about Hubert Humphrey in his book about the 1972 election. It's funny, but too revolting to say here, where high standards prevail in spite of my best efforts.

Read this book, political junkies:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

snyprrr

I thought American Conservative Christian Republicans (Churchianity) wouldn't go for a Mormon or a Catholic? How can any self respecting Fundamentalist stand for this, or, are they... have they totally lost sight of their previous watermarks? I haven't found one to ask. What 'religion' is Paul supposed to be?

Santorum is just saying some of the funniest things in the last week, astounding soundbites that surely would find their way into next week's hit piece commercial. He might as well say he defers to the pope.

Todd

Quote from: snyprrr on March 20, 2012, 06:28:17 AMI thought American Conservative Christian Republicans (Churchianity) wouldn't go for a Mormon or a Catholic?

Why would you think that?  Look at the Supreme Court: all Catholics and Jews.  I admit that I don't follow conspiracy theories and "underground" movements a whole lot, but I'm not familiar with much in the way of outrage at the religious composition of SCOTUS.  There has been the occasional kerfuffle about Obama's religion, but that's more or less limited to nut jobs or cynics trying to exploit nut jobs.  Perhaps religion is not critically important to a lot of people. 

Karl Henning

Forget Obama's religion, wasn't he really born in Nepal or somewhere? He's definitely not a US citizen!  We wuz doooped!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

Quote from: karlhenning on March 20, 2012, 06:48:24 AMForget Obama's religion, wasn't he really born in Nepal or somewhere? He's definitely not a US citizen!  We wuz doooped!

McCain wasn't born in the USA, either, so in 2008 we had our choice of two non-Americans!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on March 20, 2012, 06:50:14 AM
McCain wasn't born in the USA

AFAIK, between 1903 and 1979 the Panama Canal Zone was a de facto USA territory on which USA jurisdiction and sovereignity applied. Am I wrong?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on March 20, 2012, 09:29:50 AMAFAIK, between 1903 and 1979 the Panama Canal Zone was a de facto USA territory on which USA jurisdiction and sovereignity applied. Am I wrong?

The language of the Constitution states that "[n]o Person except a natural born Citizen" can be President.  That's somewhat vague.  It is my understanding that that any person born to US citizens is considered a "natural born Citizen," irrespective of where the person is born.  Whether the Panama Canal Zone was a US territory or not may or may not be germane.  (It is worth noting that any person born in the US is considered a US citizen, per the 14th Amendment, with no mention of parental origins, so it would be theoretically possible to elect a President born to illegal immigrants.)  So McCain could run and lose, which he did.  For good measure, the Senate passed a resolution in 2008 that validated that McCain was a "natural born Citizen."   

Karl Henning

Quote from: Todd on March 20, 2012, 09:49:45 AM
. . . For good measure, the Senate passed a resolution in 2008 that validated that McCain was a "natural born Citizen."

Well, it isn't as if the Senate had more important tasks on their plate, is it?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Wendell_E

Quote from: Florestan on March 20, 2012, 09:29:50 AM
AFAIK, between 1903 and 1979 the Panama Canal Zone was a de facto USA territory on which USA jurisdiction and sovereignity applied. Am I wrong?

No, you're not wrong, and I'm sure Todd's well aware of that fact.  Anyway, McCain is a white Republican, so it's no big deal.   ;D

Quote from: Todd on March 20, 2012, 06:43:07 AM
Quote from: snyprrr on March 20, 2012, 06:28:17 AM
I thought American Conservative Christian Republicans (Churchianity) wouldn't go for a Mormon or a Catholic?

Why would you think that?  Look at the Supreme Court: all Catholics and Jews. 

Ah but the Churcianity folk don't get to vote for Supreme Court justices, thank God (just an expression).
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on March 20, 2012, 09:49:45 AM
The language of the Constitution states that "[n]o Person except a natural born Citizen" can be President.  That's somewhat vague. 

[...]

For good measure, the Senate passed a resolution in 2008 that validated that McCain was a "natural born Citizen."

Hah! Well, I've always thought that Constitutions were worth less than the paper they are printed on...  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Todd

Quote from: Wendell_E on March 20, 2012, 09:54:23 AMAh but the Churcianity folk don't get to vote for Supreme Court justices, thank God (just an expression).

True, but they do get to vote for Senators who then vote on whether or not to confirm nominees.  In some states, conservative Christians have a bit more sway than others.  It is thus possible for a minority, or a minority of a minority, to indirectly block presidential nominees.  Happens with some regularity now. 

Quote from: Florestan on March 20, 2012, 09:56:19 AMHah! Well, I've always thought that Constitutions are worth less than the paper they are printed on...

Sometimes that is the case.