Alan Hovhaness — Where to begin?

Started by Kullervo, July 02, 2007, 08:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kentel

Quote from: drogulus on December 31, 2009, 10:54:14 PM
      Hovhaness wrote so much music that it's possible that some of it "all sounds the same" while other pieces are quite distinctly different. That's how it sounds to me. Like many composers he occasionally went on autopilot (OK, a little more than occasionally in this case) and produced too much sameness. Should such a composer cut his output in half and raise the quality? I don't know. Maybe he was one of those who needed to write as much as he did...if he'd halved his output he'd have produced half as many good pieces. Anyway, if you look at all the recs in this thread it turns out he produced quite a bit of good music.

I agree. I think one could have the same debate about Haydn's 104 symphonies. Even some of Mozart's 41+4 symphonies are completely autopiloted. Thus, no doubt that a significant amount of Hovhaness' symphonies are also rather weak or uninspired. Moreover, as Szykniej said in #49  "there's no question his compositions have a recognizable style that is distinctly "Hovhaness". And that is what really matters.

He has a genius to write for the strings and for the evocation of wide landscapes. The characteristic thing with Hovhaness is the slowly flowing string part with a solo trumpet on the top. I think you can find it in each of his symphonies (even in the wind orchestra's symphonies where strings are replaced by wood instruments).

From time to time his solo trumpet is a bit erratic, some melodies are awkwardly unconnected, the coherence of the whole isn't always at the very top, but you have so incredibly beautiful moments that it doesn't matters. At some points, he reaches the highest level of poetic evocation in music (and at others he's really very low on the inspiration scale, but that's why I find his musical personality really endearing).

In my opinion, the best symphonies among those I've heard are the 2, 4, 6, 15 & 63, and the best I've heard is the 22 "City of Light", which has been mentioned several times in this thread. Unfortunately, I've only heard 17 of them...

kentel

Quote from: vandermolen on July 08, 2007, 02:52:12 AM
Yes, I agree that Hanson is a greater composer than Hovhaness, especially symphonies 1-4 and the Bold Island Suite. His music has greater integrity and more depth.

This discussion is a bit old but I found it very interesting. So I cannot resist to bring it back up :)

I wouldn't say that Hanson is greater : he has certainly a better command of music writing, his symphonies are all very well structured, developed, orchestrated, and they show all in all no weaknesses. They are powerful, evocative, highly inspired and very convincing works, which make Hanson one of the greatest American symphonists (and one of the greatest symphonists whatsoever).

BUT, although Hovhaness' music command tends to be unsure from time to time, although he has not so powerful a sense for big symphonic architectures as Hanson does, although his writing is much more simple than Hanson's, the emotional intensity of his symphonies reaches heights that Hanson's symphonies do not (reach). Well, it was just a feeling :)

kentel

Quote from: erato on July 08, 2007, 07:50:34 AM
Mennin, Harris, Schuman, Ives, Piston, Diamond, Hanson, Copland, and then who (to fill up the ten)?. No way I have heard ALL their symphonies, but a majority I think, and I enjoy them a lot (even though some of their cycles have their ups and downs). A personal favorite is Piston, also for his concertoes and chamber works, we NEED the complete quartets.

I cannot resist to take part in this debate either (3rd message in a row, sorry but I read the whole thread  and I wasn't here in 2007 :D ).

I agree with you for the most : Harris and Schuman are for me the best american symphonists (if what you mean by that is "composers of symphonies" and not "composers of orchestral works"). After them : Ives and Copland, but they wrote only 4 and 3 symphonies. And the first, in both cases, is not astoundingly good. They are OK though. On the contrary, Copland's Third is for me the best american symphony, in competition with Ives' Fourth.

Piston and Mennin are fine too. I am not a geek of Barber's symphonies. Of Diamond's neither. Hovhaness would sure be in my list. Hanson too. Bernstein wrote 3 great symphonies - even the 1st is great; much better than most of his orchestral works. What about Antheil, Maslanka and Ward ? Persichetti wrote a wonderful one (the 3rd), but the others seems very weak to me in comparison.

Harris, Schuman, Copland, Ives, Piston, Hanson, Hovhaness, Bernstein, Antheil, Ward + Mennin and Maslanka (in all subjectivity, as usual :))

In fact, there is certainly as much as great symphonists in USA than in England.

vandermolen

Quote from: drogulus on December 31, 2009, 10:54:14 PM
      Hovhaness wrote so much music that it's possible that some of it "all sounds the same" while other pieces are quite distinctly different. That's how it sounds to me. Like many composers he occasionally went on autopilot (OK, a little more than occasionally in this case) and produced too much sameness. Should such a composer cut his output in half and raise the quality? I don't know. Maybe he was one of those who needed to write as much as he did...if he'd halved his output he'd have produced half as many good pieces. Anyway, if you look at all the recs in this thread it turns out he produced quite a bit of good music.

Does anyone know this recording?

It looks very interesting. Vaughan Williams had just died and the program for this live broadcast from Carnegie Hall was changed in order to give the American premiere of the 9th Symphony. And I believe Stokowski premiered the first 2 Hovhaness symphonies as well. Amazon has the CD and downloads.

Later: After listening to some Amazon clips I'd say this is a worthwhile pick for both Hovhaness and Vaughan Williams. Check out the clips (click on the pic).

I have this CD - bought it for the (unrivalled- absolutely marvellously defiant) performance of the VW. The Hovhaness is an outstanding performance too. All the pieces were recorded at a Carnegie Hall live concert on 25th Sept. 1958.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Greatly enjoying this CD, - especially the performance and recording of Symphony No 6: 'The Celestial Gate' - one of the best I think, and superior to the good performance on Koch. I Fiamminghi from Flanders are a very impressive orchestra. This would be a good starting point for Hovhaness, as it includes a wide selection of enjoyable pieces.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

karlhenning

Lethevich

kentel - thanks for your posts here - I am currently not very close to Hovhaness' style, but if you see something in him, I'll keep this in mind during future listens. I am especially interested by how you consider him great but flawed, as some of my favourite composers have very obvious weak points or imbalances in their compositional output.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Scarpia

My impression of Hovhaness is that he simply has a very limited range, everything I've heard of him conveys a similar impression.  If you have one of his symphonies the other hundred or so are redundant.  Get the Reiner recording, and maybe that nice Telarc disc and your collection is complete.

Guido

I can't believe people are recommending the cello concerto - it's one of the dullest concertos I've ever heard - prolix, simplistic, poor thematic material, repetitive, unimaginative. The only thing I can say about it is that it is not ugly from moment to moment (structurally its a disaster) - but that seems an awfully low standard to set for whether to recommend a work or not.

Why do I always confuse Hovhaness with Rautavaara? Do these guys have anything in common?!  :o :)
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

karlhenning

Quote from: Guido on March 31, 2010, 03:27:39 AM
I can't believe people are recommending the cello concerto - it's one of the dullest concertos I've ever heard - prolix, simplistic, poor thematic material, repetitive, unimaginative. The only thing I can say about it is that it is not ugly from moment to moment (structurally its a disaster) - but that seems an awfully low standard to set for whether to recommend a work or not.

Why do I always confuse Hovhaness with Rautavaara? Do these guys have anything in common?!  :o :)

Considering Paragraph 1, Paragraph 2 is a stinging rebuke of Rautavaara, wot? ; )

vandermolen

Quote from: Scarpia on March 30, 2010, 05:13:33 AM
My impression of Hovhaness is that he simply has a very limited range, everything I've heard of him conveys a similar impression.  If you have one of his symphonies the other hundred or so are redundant.  Get the Reiner recording, and maybe that nice Telarc disc and your collection is complete.
See what you mean, but I think that you also need to hear:

Symphony 60 'Mount St Helens' (easily my favourite work by Hovhaness)

'Exile Symphony' (No 1)

Symphony No 11 'All Men are Brothers'

Or, if you can't face all three just go for Mount St Helens  :D

Scarpia

Quote from: vandermolen on March 31, 2010, 12:24:21 PM
See what you mean, but I think that you also need to hear:

Symphony 60 'Mount St Helens' (easily my favourite work by Hovhaness)

'Exile Symphony' (No 1)

Symphony No 11 'All Men are Brothers'

Or, if you can't face all three just go for Mount St Helens  :D

Well, I have the "Mysterious Mountain" with Reiner/Chicago and the "Celestial Gate" on that Flammengi disc.  So the question for me is not where to start, it is where to stop.  I think I should have stopped about 1 disc ago.   :D

vandermolen

Quote from: Scarpia on March 31, 2010, 01:15:36 PM
Well, I have the "Mysterious Mountain" with Reiner/Chicago and the "Celestial Gate" on that Flammengi disc.  So the question for me is not where to start, it is where to stop.  I think I should have stopped about 1 disc ago.   :D

No. No - you still need to hear Mount St Helens  ;D

PS - this is the best version - available for £3.94 on Amazon UK

Guido

Not at all, I think Rautavaara can be rather charming. All I've heard of Hovhaness is the Cello concerto (awful) and the second symphony which I rather liked.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

snyprrr

Karl Henning

Quote from: snyprrr on November 26, 2012, 06:18:59 AM
i don't know why...

He's a better composer than some give him credit for.

And now I am keen to revisit his Cello Concerto. I don't remember it being awful, at all.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Thread Duty:

I think Lousadzak would be a decent starting point.  Certainly the sort of piece where, if you decide you don't care for it, you know to move on.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

cilgwyn

Quite a while back now,I bought a big load of Hovhaness cds! I think he'd been R3's This Weeks Composer & I was 'grabbed' by some of the music I heard!
Unfortunately,as I eventually discovered,after listening carefully to my pile of Hovhaness cds;some of the jibes about Hovhaness writing the same piece over & over again,DO have more than a grain of truth!
Still,at his best,he is imho,a very original & absorbing composer. Play him to some people who think they don't like classical music,or people who just know all the usual composers like Mozart & beethoven,for example & they'll react like 'Wow! What's that?!!'
To the more jaded listener like me the following cds are a varied selection of Hovhaness at his most individualistic & best,so here goes!!!

A very varied selection in lush 'Delos' sound quality,but Michael York as narrator in the Rubaiyat. A lovely piece & fair play,I'm no fan,but York is suprisingly good. The Exile Symphony is one of his best & the Fantasy on Japanese Woodprints is mysterious & evocative. I love it! :)

The Rubaiyat,Exile Symphony,Meditation on Orpheus & Fantasy on Japanese Woodprints York/Seattle SO Schwarz       Delos

Karl Henning is absolutely right to pick out the Lousadzak-Concerto for Piano & Strings. This is coupled on a superbly recorded & performed Black Box cd with the Concerto for two Pianos & Orchestra. Haunting,hypnotic,mesmerising works. Again,Hovhaness at his very best!

Concerto for two Pianos,Lousadzak,3 pieces for2 pianos Black Box

A very populist compilation of some of his best Symphonies in fine modern performances & lovely,lush Telarc sound quality:

Mysterious Mountains: Symphony No 2 'Mysterious Mountain',Symphony No 66 'Hymn to Glacier Peak',Symphony No 50 'Mount St Helens & Storm on Mount Wildcat.
                                         RLPO/ Schwarz                     Delos

Hovhaness at his most wild & wacky!!! Like very sophisticated New Age tapes,but less boring,thankfully!! ;D Bells,drones,percussion,brass,etc. Some of Hovhaness's pieces in this vein DO outstay their welcome. These don't! But while the sound quality is pretty good,it would be nice to hear music like this in Delos or Telarc style sound quality!

Requiem & Resurrection for Brass,Choir & Percussion,Symphony No 19 'Vishnu'                Sevan Philharmonic Hovhaness  Crystal

Another example of the above kind of Hovhaness,but in really superb state of the art digital sound quality. This is the kind of recording quality Hovhaness REALLY needs,to get the maximum out of all that exotic,tintinabulating percussion,etc. Maybe some of it goes on a bit too long in places. But what an exotic carpet of sound! Wow!! ;D Play this one to you're hippy friends!! ;D

Visions of the East: Ode to the Temple of Sound,Symphony No 10 'Vahaken',Floating World   Frost SO/ Chung Park          Centaur

Hovhaness's solo piano music at it's most exploratory,exotic & wacky best. The sound is NOT state of the art,but the performances are very good & again,it's another side of Hovhaness at his best! Again,new state of the digital recordings would be wonderful,if some cd label would oblige?!

Khaldis: Concerto for Piano,four trumpets & percussion,Mount Katahdin,Fantasy (This last one,played by Hovhaness himself)
                                                                                    Crystal

I also quite like this one for late night listening. Maybe some of it meanders a bit,but again,it's in lovely,lush Telarc sound,it's very relaxing & the combination of the harp & guitar in the piece entitled 'Spirit of Trees', is curiously enthralling. Hypnotic is another word,I suppose. Like new age tapes again,but less boring!! So maybe you should only buy this one if you like the cds listed above!!! Or want a cd for Yoga or Transcendental meditation!!! :o ;D ;D Get out the incense,get in the lotus position,and.............oh noooo,phone the paramedics,I'm stuck!!! :o :(

Concerto for Harp & String Orchestra,Spirit of Trees 'Sonata for Harp & Guitar',Upon Enchanted Ground for Flute,Cello,Giant Tam-Tam & Harp                          Yolanda Kondonassis   Telarc

One of Hovhaness's best Symphonies,imo,is his Eighth. Unfortunately,as far as I know it has never been released on cd! :( R3 Composer of the Week included a complete performance,which I recorded & Hovhaness recorded a performance which,apparently (I haven't heard it) leaves that one firmly in the shade!

Fritz Reiner made a famous recording of 'Mysterious Mountain',of course!

A particularly well known work by Hovhaness is his 'And God created Great Whales' for taped Whale song & orchestra. I remember attending a concert performance,once. Unfortunately,a Japanese Whaling ship turned up! ;D :o
Seriously,imho (again! ;D) despite the evocative use of Whale song,this is not Hovhaness at his best. I like it,but I can't help thinking I'm just liking it because of the Whale song! Wouldn't I just be better off buying a cd of Whale Song instead?!! Anyway,if you like Classical music with the sounds of nature grafted on,for my money Rautavaara's 'Cantus Articus' is more effective!

Must have a rest after all this Hovhaness & typing!!!! :o :( ;D

snyprrr

Quote from: cilgwyn on November 26, 2012, 08:38:54 AM
Must have a rest after all this Hovhaness & typing!!!! :o :( ;D

You did well! ;)

Quote from: karlhenning on November 26, 2012, 06:37:52 AM
And now I am keen to revisit his Cello Concerto. I don't remember it being awful, at all.[/font]

hmm, Guido would like to disagree!... a few Posts up...

btw- I used to have the Loudzak(sic) on the MusicMasters cd (with the great Harrison), along with MysMount. I recall liking the Harrison by faaar. I AM curious about the Hovhaness SQs on Delos, though.

cilgwyn

Actually,I was wondering whether to include that Delos Sq cd! I think,I decided to leave it out in favour of the Telarc Spirit of Trees cd,because I like that combination of Harp & guitar! I seem to remember ::) ;D I DID quite enjoy that one,and.....this (presumably) HAS to be of significance.....unlike ALLOT of the Hovhanes cds I bought at the time.....it hasn't been carted off to a charity shop!!!
I'll put it on a bit later & report back,as they say! ;D

Buy wisely & sparingly of Hovhaness & you may,even WILL,find a good deal to enjoy & admire. Just bear in mind that all those cds of compositions with wacky,exotic sounding names & amazing sounding twenty four movement symphonies glittering at you on that Amazon website, might not end up sounding quite as fascinating as they once looked!!