Bonjour

Started by AndanteCantabile, August 24, 2011, 05:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: AndanteCantabile on September 03, 2011, 05:30:53 AM
I'm back! ;) I'm listening to Prokofiev's Symphony No. 7 and actually quite enjoying it. Do you have a suggestion on a "next step" with Prokofiev?

Which performance of symphony no.7?

Alexander Nevsky is a fun piece.

Mirror Image

Quote from: AndanteCantabile on September 03, 2011, 05:30:53 AM
I'm back! ;) I'm listening to Prokofiev's Symphony No. 7 and actually quite enjoying it. Do you have a suggestion on a "next step" with Prokofiev?

Excellent and feel free to post in other parts of the forum. Like, for example, the what are you listening to now thread. Keep us posted to what music you've been digging lately.

Your next step  with Prokofiev? I listed some works for you to check out and here's a few of my favorite Prokofiev compositions:

Symphonies Nos. 4-7
Violin Concerto No. 1
Piano Concerto No. 3
Romeo & Juliet (complete ballet)
Scythian Suite
Alexander Nevsky
Lieutenant Kije
Dreams
Andante
Prodigal Son (complete ballet)
Semyon Kotko (orchestral suite)

AndanteCantabile

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 03, 2011, 07:26:40 AM
Which performance of symphony no.7?

Alexander Nevsky is a fun piece.

This one:

I picked the first one I saw on Naxos, just to see if I liked it. I'm going to try to find a good complete or partially-complete cycle if I can.

karlhenning

In the complete sets, Ozawa is superior to Järvi in the Seventh.

As to the next piece after the Seventh, the Prokofiev piece with the closest kinship to the Seventh is the ballet Cinderella, Op.87. Go for the complete ballet, rather than selections . . . I should recommend Ashkenazy & the Cleveland Orchestra.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 03, 2011, 06:14:15 PM
In the complete sets, Ozawa is superior to Järvi in the Seventh.

As to the next piece after the Seventh, the Prokofiev piece with the closest kinship to the Seventh is the ballet Cinderella, Op.87. Go for the complete ballet, rather than selections . . . I should recommend Ashkenazy & the Cleveland Orchestra.

This.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 24, 2011, 09:30:01 PM
Welcome aboard! Bienvenu à bord! 

Since you asked for some suggestions regarding composers, I can only tell you a few of my favorites and see if you'll enjoy their music: Ravel, Bartok, Vaughan Williams, Villa-Lobos, Koechlin, Sibelius, Stravinsky, Bruckner, Debussy, Janacek, Berg, Martinu, Milhaud, Shostakovich, Myaskovsky, Prokofiev, Pärt, Lindberg, John Adams, among others. Are you familiar with any of these composer's music? If not, I'd be happy to suggest a few works by each to help get you started.
Belated greetings from me too! I largely agree with MI's list of recommendations and would add Braga Santos (symphonies 1-4), Lilburn (symphonies 1 and 2), Tubin and Holmboe.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).