What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que, Spotted Horses (+ 1 Hidden) and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: vandermolen on Today at 07:56:32 AMIt's a fine discs. We regularly get Spitfires flying over our garden. I think that people pay £1000+ for a short ride (in a fast machine  ;D ) down to the coast and back.

I'm not sure how that would work. The Spitfire was a single-seat aircraft. You pay £1000+ and you fly it yourself? Do you regular see them fly toward the coast and not come back? :)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

mahler10th

The Karl Henning Ensemble
Live streamed from Kings Chapel, Boston

Quite a showcase of Karls music!  How fortunate we are to have such a thoughtful Composer in our midst.
Live Concert

Harry

Carl Nielsen (1865– 1931)

Concerto, Op.33, FS 61, (1911) for Violin and Orchestra, Dedicated to Emil Telmányi.
Symphony No. 4, Op.29, FS 76 'The Inextinguishable' (1914– 16)  ('Det Uudslukkelige').

James Ehnes violin.
Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra Edward Gardner.
Recording venue, Grieghallen, Bergen, Norway 2022.

This is by all means a spectacular performance of the Violin concerto, no doubt about it, and that goes pretty much for the Symphony. SOTA sound. Breathtaking, from the moment this performance starts your in, from head to toe. This is pretty hard to topple.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vandermolen

Quote from: Spotted Horses on Today at 08:24:11 AMI'm not sure how that would work. The Spitfire was a single-seat aircraft. You pay £1000+ and you fly it yourself? Do you regular see them fly toward the coast and not come back? :)
Haha  ;D
They've been converted into two-seater aircraft:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Spotted Horses

Quote from: vandermolen on Today at 09:02:30 AMHaha  ;D
They've been converted into two-seater aircraft:

That is grotesque! It would work better in one of the WWII era planes that is most interesting to me, the Douglas Dauntless.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

SonicMan46

This morning I pulled out my 16 or so discs of:

Nielsen, Carl (1865-1931) - Clarinet Works w/ David Shifrin; Piano Solo w/ Martin Roscoe; and String Quartets w/ the Oslo SQ - looked at plenty of reviews (attached for the interested) - the piano performances have a lot of competition, so may go to Spotify plus any comments; the SQs are well reviewed and other offerings exist.  Next up the Symphonies - Dave

Pohjolas Daughter

Listened to some of the live performances today from the Karl Henning ensemble.  Alas, there was a combo of a bit of a weird echo plus couldn't hear the performers' comments about the works very well.  :(

Liked that they opened up with the fuchsia work which I quite enjoy.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter