Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

I used to own this set quite awhile ago.  Now I have it again.  I'll probably start with the great 5th which in Previn's hands is simply sublime.

Never owned this before, but I really like Bohm's Schubert.

Wanderer

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

DavidW

Oh yes I like that Dorati Tchaikovsky!

Florestan

Quote from: DavidW on April 20, 2024, 09:54:38 AMOh yes I like that Dorati Tchaikovsky!

I already had the Dorati Orchestral Suites and 1812 Overture so I couldn't miss the Symphonies. One can never have too much Tchaikovsky, methinks.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

steve ridgway

£1 from charity shop yesterday, Peter's Planets 21 from the legendary Hymisher Greenburg ;) .

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on April 19, 2024, 02:50:13 PMI used to own this set quite awhile ago.  Now I have it again.  I'll probably start with the great 5th which in Previn's hands is simply sublime.

Never owned this before, but I really like Bohm's Schubert.

Really enjoy Previn's Vaughan Williams; I have it in a slightly different collection.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 21, 2024, 04:00:49 AMReally enjoy Previn's Vaughan Williams; I have it in a slightly different collection.

PD

Was it the white box?  Because that was what I had back in the day.  I think this is a fresher remaster, it sounds phenomenal.  But keep in mind that I do not aspire to the audiophile discernment that others do! :laugh:

Pohjolas Daughter

@DavidW This is the one that I own.  I remember jumping through some hoops to get a hold of it as it was out-of-print at the time.

LOL!  We were both typing at the same time!  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

@DavidW Was my set the one that you were referring to?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 21, 2024, 05:51:59 AM@DavidW Was my set the one that you were referring to?

PD

Yup.  I also had troubles like you did, I think I got it used from maybe Ebay.  I mean that was like 20 years ago, so don't quote me on that!  Now of course it is easy to get.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on April 21, 2024, 06:01:11 AMYup.  I also had troubles like you did, I think I got it used from maybe Ebay.  I mean that was like 20 years ago, so don't quote me on that!  Now of course it is easy to get.
That was probably about when I purchased mine.  Looking at the box, the date is 2003, so probably it was OOP by 2005!  ::) I also purchased mine off of eBay.  I remember bidding against someone...Hey!  That was you!!  >:(  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

JBS

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 21, 2024, 05:49:06 AM@DavidW This is the one that I own.  I remember jumping through some hoops to get a hold of it as it was out-of-print at the time.

LOL!  We were both typing at the same time!  ;D

PD

That's also the version I have. But I got it new sometime in the 1990s, in-store, at Borders.

Do you realize there is a whole generation entering adulthood for whom buying CDs in-store at a business dedicated to selling only brand new CDs is an experience they've never had?
The closest is rummaging through the leftover stock in Barnes and Noble.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Iota

Quote from: JBS on April 21, 2024, 06:15:56 PMDo you realize there is a whole generation entering adulthood for whom buying CDs in-store at a business dedicated to selling only brand new CDs is an experience they've never had?

A phenomenon I'm painfully aware of, as it makes present-buying for said generation considerably more difficult! Beyond cuddly toys and not yet ready to appreciate a pair of socks .. cash seems the only safe get-out.  ::)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on April 21, 2024, 06:15:56 PMThat's also the version I have. But I got it new sometime in the 1990s, in-store, at Borders.

Do you realize there is a whole generation entering adulthood for whom buying CDs in-store at a business dedicated to selling only brand new CDs is an experience they've never had?
Shudder!  :(

@Iota  Perhaps when they get older (and if vinyl is still hot), a gift certificate to a record store or to something like iTunes?  I'm lucky in that there are now three record and CD stores which carry both new and used vinyl (and a few new CDs--mostly used).

PD

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 22, 2024, 08:03:24 AMShudder!  :(

I wouldn't feel sad for them.  They get to stream whatever they want, whenever they want.  It beats having to save up for a tape and just hoping you like all of it!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on April 22, 2024, 09:01:18 AMI wouldn't feel sad for them.  They get to stream whatever they want, whenever they want.  It beats having to save up for a tape and just hoping you like all of it!
But no liner notes!  And how to get your favorite group to sign your copy of their album?  Oh, wait...vinyl is back in style.  ;)  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Iota

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 22, 2024, 08:03:24 AMShudder!  :(

@Iota  Perhaps when they get older (and if vinyl is still hot), a gift certificate to a record store or to something like iTunes?  I'm lucky in that there are now three record and CD stores which carry both new and used vinyl (and a few new CDs--mostly used).

PD

PD

Am well up on voucher purchasing too thanks (with a hierarchy of advisers from said generation ready to look very disappointed should I err from their counsel ..). As for music they stream virtually everything, CDs are relics from the past for them, and they're in their twenties and even thirties now.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: JBS on April 21, 2024, 06:15:56 PMDo you realize there is a whole generation entering adulthood for whom buying CDs in-store at a business dedicated to selling only brand new CDs is an experience they've never had?

I didn't realize there are people who didn't realize this.

I do recall the anticipation of going to the record store to see the "new release" section, to find out what Karajan, Solti and Haitink had been up to (the flagship artists of the most prominent "import" labels, DG, London (Decca) and Philips). I feel no nostalgia for going to the record store to search meager stock for some release that I had identified in the Schwann catalog (remember that?). Internet based retailers make so much more sense for books and music, where there are to many releases to be practically stocked by any physical store.

Despite initial resistance, I have been converted to streaming, although I do miss the booklets and find myself buying downloads or used CDs of releases that are "important" to have full documentation.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington