What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Bachtoven

Quote from: Florestan on Today at 10:35:13 AMThat's exactly what crossed my mind when posting, but then again how many fanboys can this Nicolas Who have?  :laugh:
His Schumann recordings have received rave reviews, so I imagine there are a few.
Audio: B&W 803D3, McIntosh MA9000, Mark Levinson No.5101, Roon Nucleus Plus, Denafrips Venus II, VPI Prime Signature, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Focal Stellia, Sennheiser HD800S

Bachtoven

Quote from: T. D. on Today at 11:15:28 AMThey could price it accordingly. I've seen British Progressive Jazz, for instance, release really short CDs (granted, based on old tapes) at lower prices. Downloads could be priced the same way. But I'm not sufficiently interested to investigate how Mr. van Poucke's recordings are being offered.
That's the beauty of streaming a recording...the cost is virtually nothing.
Audio: B&W 803D3, McIntosh MA9000, Mark Levinson No.5101, Roon Nucleus Plus, Denafrips Venus II, VPI Prime Signature, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Focal Stellia, Sennheiser HD800S

JBS

Quote from: Maestro267 on Today at 07:27:43 AMStill: Africa, symphonic poem
Fort Smith Symphony/Jeter

Definitely getting Grofe/Gershwin vibes from this music.

There is one movement of Still's First Symphony whether either he borrowed from Gershwin or Gershwin borrowed from him (depending on who composed what when).

TD
The second of two recordings of Grieg's Piano Concerto in the Warner Andsnes box.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

Saint-Saëns: Tableaux symphoniques d'après La Foi

There is something really special and inspired in this music.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Vaughan Williams: A London Symphony (1920 version) for piano duet.
Nice late-night listening:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Linz

Carl Nielsen Symphony No. 5, Op. 50, Rafael Kubelik, Danish Radio Symphony Orchestra
Sibelius Luonnotar, op.70 (Gwyneth Jones- soprano),  Night-ride and Sunrise, op.55 and The Oceanides, op.73 Antal Dorati London Symphony Orchestra

Symphonic Addict

Lajtha: String Quartet No. 8

The slow movement is one of those nocturnal pieces in which Lajtha excelled.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Lisztianwagner

Charles Ives
Holidays Symphony

Michael Tilson Thomas & Chicago Symphony Orchestra

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on Today at 02:10:17 PMVaughan Williams: A London Symphony (1920 version) for piano duet.
Nice late-night listening:

Love this album!

TD:
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Bachtoven

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

VonStupp

Lili Boulanger
Faust and Helen
Psalm 24
Psalm 130
D'un soir triste
D'un matin de printemps

CBSO Chorus
Lynne Dawson & Ann Murray, sopranos
Bonaventura Bottone, tenor
Neil Mackenzie, tenor & Jason Howard, bass
BBC PO - Yan Pascal Tortelier

Hadn't heard Faust et Hélène before. Some wonderful stuff in there, per usual with LB's music. It is referenced as a cantata, but it reminds me more of an operatic scene.
VS

Coronation of the Virgin with Four Saints (1490), Botticelli
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Symphonic Addict

Brian: English Suite No. 3

I reckon this is Brian at his most compelling. The movement The Stonebreaker has an atmosphere that evokes something ancient.

Noam Chomsky