Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapman

Today was the big annual book sale that I've posted about the past two years (and which introduced me to composers such as Rubbra and Alwyn). I got about 100 CDs for $1 each. (I only was able to look through about 1/2 of the CDs they had; the selection was massive!)

I started listening to these in the car today (and I'm especially looking forward to the Dohnanyi later):

Other interesting finds include several discs of Poulenc's piano music, 2 CDs on Hungaroton of Liszt's choral music, and some Dvořák chamber music.

I hope everyone else here who also enjoys cheap used CDs is able to find incredible sales like this one.

Wanderer

ritter

Some historic operatic stuff, related to figures (Toscanini, Panizza, Sabata) I am reading about these days. From Melomania in Paris (at very attractive prices).

Surprisingly, I never had the famous Callas / Sabata Macbeth form La Scala in my collection.

And from AbeBooks:

This hardcver book includes 2 CDs of Victor de Sabata conducting several things, among them his tone poem Juventus --the more modern recording by Sabata's  son-in-law Aldo Ceccato on Chandos is not easy to find--, and excerpts for Tristan und Isodle (in Italian, so Tristano e Isotta) from La Scala in 1930 (with Ebe Stignani as "Brangania").

andolink

Stereo: PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player>>PS Audio DirectStream DAC >>Dynaudio 9S subwoofer>>Merrill Audio Thor Mono Blocks>>Dynaudio Confidence C1 II's (w/ Brick Wall Series Mode Power Conditioner)

classicalgeek

Quote from: Mapman on April 07, 2024, 07:14:39 PMToday was the big annual book sale that I've posted about the past two years (and which introduced me to composers such as Rubbra and Alwyn). I got about 100 CDs for $1 each. (I only was able to look through about 1/2 of the CDs they had; the selection was massive!)

I started listening to these in the car today (and I'm especially looking forward to the Dohnanyi later):

Other interesting finds include several discs of Poulenc's piano music, 2 CDs on Hungaroton of Liszt's choral music, and some Dvořák chamber music.

I hope everyone else here who also enjoys cheap used CDs is able to find incredible sales like this one.

You're not in Seattle by chance, are you? I went to the "Friends of the Seattle Public Library" book sale twice a while back, and I remember buying tons of cheap classical CDs. It was at about this time of year, too - late March/early April. I think it was 2007 and 2008 - I stopped going because I rather naively made the decision to sell off my CD collection and go completely digital. I've resumed collecting CDs but I kind of forgot about the annual book sale. :(

It sounds like you got a nice haul at your book sale. Congratulations! :D
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Wanderer

JBS

You may remember me posting this at the end of March, when I ordered it off Amazon MP from Movie Mars.
Well it appears that despite giving a USPS tracking number, it was never actually shipped.
And today they credited my card in full. So I immediately ordered it direct from Amazon US (which did not have it in stock at the time of the first order), and for about $13 less. Amazon is promising delivery April 20-22.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Wanderer

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on April 10, 2024, 07:42:26 PMYou may remember me posting this at the end of March, when I ordered it off Amazon MP from Movie Mars.
Well it appears that despite giving a USPS tracking number, it was never actually shipped.
And today they credited my card in full. So I immediately ordered it direct from Amazon US (which did not have it in stock at the time of the first order), and for about $13 less. Amazon is promising delivery April 20-22.

Interesting!  I wonder how that mix up occurred?

Well, I hope that this time it actually arrives.
Pohjolas Daughter

steve ridgway

Peter's No. 40 for £1 from charity shop.

Peter Power Pop

Wanderer