What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)

Started by Siedler, April 20, 2007, 05:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brewski

Quote from: ultralinear on March 19, 2024, 04:58:28 AMMore from Quatuor Danel tonight:

Shostakovich String Quartet No.4 in D Op. 83
Weinberg  String Quartet No.4 Op.20
Shostakovich  String Quartet No.5 in B flat Op.92

Personal favourites all.  :)

Having heard the Jerusalem Quartet not long ago deliver a maxed-out DSCH #4, should be interesting to hear what the Danels make of it.  :D

No livestream alas.  :( 

Quote from: DavidW on March 19, 2024, 09:05:00 AMI would love to be there!  I love both their Shostakovich and Weinberg.  I was really pleased yesterday when my Weinberg SQ box set arrived from Presto.

So in the realm of "answered prayers" and all that, I was looking at Wigmore's site, and lo and behold, on 29 April the Quatuor Danel returns. This time they'll do two Weinberg quartets surrounding a single Shostakovich, and it will be streamed, at 8pm GMT (4pm EDT). I already have it marked on the calendar.

https://www.wigmore-hall.org.uk/whats-on/202404291930

Weinberg: Quartet No. 5
Shostakovich: Quartet No. 6
Weinberg: Quartet No. 6

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

ultralinear

Quote from: brewski on March 19, 2024, 11:52:45 AMSo in the realm of "answered prayers" and all that, I was looking at Wigmore's site, and lo and behold, on 29 April the Quatuor Danel returns. This time they'll do two Weinberg quartets surrounding a single Shostakovich, and it will be streamed, at 8pm GMT (4pm EDT). I already have it marked on the calendar.

https://www.wigmore-hall.org.uk/whats-on/202404291930

Weinberg: Quartet No. 5
Shostakovich: Quartet No. 6
Weinberg: Quartet No. 6

-Bruce

That's excellent!  :)

One thing that may not always come across from listening to recordings is just how much energy these guys put into their performances, finding life and drama even in a predominantly tragic narrative.  It makes for an involving experience, no matter how many times you've heard these works before.

ultralinear

Quote from: DavidW on March 19, 2024, 09:05:00 AMI would love to be there!  I love both their Shostakovich and Weinberg.  I was really pleased yesterday when my Weinberg SQ box set arrived from Presto.

That's a great set.  The Danels pioneered some of these works, and you can hear in these concerts how their performances have continued to develop.  They might even put out a new set at some point (one can always hope :) ).

I also have the (much more expensive) set by the Silesian String Quartet - whom I've also heard play some of them in concert - and of the two I prefer the Danels.  There's nothing at all wrong with the Silesians - I would always take every opportunity to hear them perform - but there is a kind of earnestness to their playing which can become a bit unrelenting, where the Danels generally manage to find some spark of light amid the gloom.  Whether that makes their interpretations more authentic or less, I really don't know, but I do find them more listenable for it, which ultimately is the deciding factor.

Brian

If you had the chance to see the Pittsburgh Symphony and Honeck live in one of these programs, which would you choose?

Marquez - Danzón No. 2
Mendelssohn - Violin Concerto (Hadelich)
Rachmaninov - Symphonic Dances

Lera Auerbach - world premiere
Mendelssohn - Piano Concerto No. 1 (Rana)
Shostakovich - Symphony No. 10

I love Auerbach, Hadelich, and the two big pieces. Haven't seen the Rach live, haven't seen the DSCH live in 15 years.

brewski

Quote from: Brian on March 20, 2024, 05:02:13 AMIf you had the chance to see the Pittsburgh Symphony and Honeck live in one of these programs, which would you choose?

Marquez - Danzón No. 2

I love Auerbach, Hadelich, and the two big pieces. Haven't seen the Rach live, haven't seen the DSCH live in 15 years.

Heavens, what a choice. All other things being equal, the second one would get my vote, only because I haven't seen Rana yet, and I've been on a small Shostakovich kick lately. But dang, to miss the great Hadelich in anything, plus the Symphonic Dances...

Maybe time for that coin toss.  ;D

-Bruce

Brian

Quote from: brewski on March 20, 2024, 05:32:58 AMHeavens, what a choice. All other things being equal, the second one would get my vote, only because I haven't seen Rana yet, and I've been on a small Shostakovich kick lately. But dang, to miss the great Hadelich in anything, plus the Symphonic Dances...

Maybe time for that coin toss.  ;D

-Bruce
The coin toss might be whether the Pirates are in town!  ;D

(Rana is great - saw her do a live Beethoven Emperor with a rather sedate tempo but then a thrilling Chopin etude encore.)

ultralinear

Quote from: Brian on March 20, 2024, 05:02:13 AMIf you had the chance to see the Pittsburgh Symphony and Honeck live in one of these programs, which would you choose?

Marquez - Danzón No. 2

Tough choice - two very evenly matched programs. :-\

Personally I would probably go for #2, because:
  • the Mendelssohn VC is just so familiar;
  • on a straight mano-a-mano between the Rachmaninov and the Shostakovich, Dmitri gets it.  And familiar though the 10th is, I'd be curious to hear what Honeck does with it - plus the sound of the Pittsburghers should be superb in that.

But it's a very fine balance, and preferences are (very) personal. :)

T. D.

Low-key event in semi-local library Saturday.
Considering a piano 4 hands program with Steven Beck and Yalin Chi. Don't know what they're playing, but it doesn't cost much and should be interesting.

DavidW

Marquez - Danzón No. 2

The second purely for Shostakovich's 10th.

brewski

Quote from: T. D. on March 20, 2024, 04:59:24 PMLow-key event in semi-local library Saturday.
Considering a piano 4 hands program with Steven Beck and Yalin Chi. Don't know what they're playing, but it doesn't cost much and should be interesting.

I don't know Chi, but I've heard Beck many times over the years, mostly with groups like the New York New Music Ensemble, Talea Ensemble, and others. If convenient for you, would definitely bite.

-Bruce

T. D.

Quote from: brewski on March 20, 2024, 05:12:13 PMI don't know Chi, but I've heard Beck many times over the years, mostly with groups like the New York New Music Ensemble, Talea Ensemble, and others. If convenient for you, would definitely bite.

-Bruce

Thanks! It's about as convenient as a classical event can get for me (40-45 min drive) and more or less en route to another event I want to attend later Saturday, so very promising.
Neither name was familiar to me, but I looked up Beck and his CV is most impressive.  8)

brewski

An unusually dense weekend, but I'm not complaining.

Tonight (livestream):
Minnesota Orchestra
Domingo Hindoyan, conductor
Pacho Flores, trumpet
Roberto Sierra: Fandangos
Sarasate: Gypsy Airs
Arturo Márquez: Concierto de Otoño for Trumpet and Orchestra
Dvořák: Symphony No. 8

Tomorrow afternoon (live):
Opera Philadelphia Chorus
Elizabeth Braden, conductor
Meghan Meloy Ness, organ
Verdi:
"Libiamo" (The Brindisi) from La Traviata
"Vedi! Le fosche notturne spoglie" (The Anvil Chorus) from Il Trovatore
"Va pensiero" from Nabucco
"Patria Oppressa" from Macbeth
Kevin Puts: "Sleep Chorus" from Silent Night
Richard Danielpour: "Epilogue" from Margaret Garner
Bizet: Carmen
"Dans l'air, nous suivons des yeux" (The Cigarette Chorus)
"Habañera"
"Les Voici"
Bernstein: "Make Our Garden Grow" from Candide

Saturday night (livestream):
ekmeles (vocal ensemble)
Todd Tarantino: Incipit Lamentatio (2024) World premiere
Jeffrey Gavett: Peccavi fateor (2015)
David Hurd: Tenebrae factae sunt (1989)
Joanna Ward: Christus factus est (2020)
Nirmali Fenn: Pokój w pokoju (2018)
Hannah Kendall: this is but an oration of loss (2022)
Jóhann Jóhannson: Holy Thursday (2002)

Sunday afternoon (livestream):
Aizuri Quartet
Kim Kashkashian, viola
Marcy Rosen, cello
Reena Esmail: Fantasie (Bihag) from Ragamala
Felix Mendelssohn: Capriccio from Quartet, Op. 81
Shulamit Ran: Lyre of Orpheus
R. Strauss: Sextet from Capriccio, Op. 85
Clara Schumann: Die stille Lotosblume from Sechs Lieder, Op. 13, No. 6
Fanny Mendelssohn: Quartet in E-flat Major

And then a nap.  ;D

-Bruce

Brian

On Feb 9, 2025, Seong-Jin Cho is performing the complete solo piano music of Ravel in one night in San Francisco!

Brian

This afternoon: working rehearsals for the world premiere of Anna Clyne's new piano concerto, "Atlas," with Jeremy Denk, the Dallas Symphony, and Fabio Luisi.

Tomorrow night: the actual premiere. I may or may not stay for Luisi's Mahler 5 after the interval. I only barely get along with the symphony to begin with, enjoying the first and fourth movements and a few scattered moments elsewhere. And Fabio is a very poor fit for this music, I fear: self-indulgent, prone to swooning, with exaggerated differences between fast music (very fast) and slow music (veeeeery slow). I once saw him drag the second movement of Beethoven 7 to 12 minutes (!) and it looks like his recorded M5 with the Concertgebouw runs to 77:27, including a 21-minute scherzo.