Author Topic: The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread  (Read 1187315 times)

Offline DaveF

Re: The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread
« Reply #7220 on: March 23, 2021, 03:50:32 AM »
Just now Pieter Jan Belder's recording of the complete Fitzwilliam Virginal Book (15 CDs) can be downloaded from Presto (flac) for less than 14 Euro's !!

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8846043--complete-fitzwilliam-virginal-book

Wonderful stuff - but when I think how much I spent on it... :(

Qobuz have some free giveaways - look out for Spring Music Gifts on the website - including Mark Padmore's new(ish) Winterreise, musical tours of the Alhambra and Loire châteaux and a couple of Advent and Christmas compilations past their sell-by date.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #7221 on: March 23, 2021, 04:11:58 AM »

Yes, I also purchased the individual volumes in the course of their release. But on the other hand, I could not have waited until now to hear them.  :)
As soon as a word has left the lips, not even the fastest horse can catch up with it.

Offline Roasted Swan

• Veteran member
« Reply #7222 on: March 23, 2021, 05:07:19 AM »

Qobuz have some free giveaways - look out for Spring Music Gifts on the website - including Mark Padmore's new(ish) Winterreise, musical tours of the Alhambra and Loire châteaux and a couple of Advent and Christmas compilations past their sell-by date.

thanks for the heads up!

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #7223 on: May 29, 2021, 08:05:07 AM »
Gergiev/LSO Mahler cycle on SACD for $22 this weekend https://www.europadisc.co.uk/classical/106656/Mahler_-_Symphonies_Nos_1-9.htm

(of course, many people disagree on the merits of it so it may not be a bargain)

There are some other bargain boxes in that same Europa bank holiday sale, including two documenting the history of Harmonia Mundi, a Colin Davis LSO collection, and a bunch of Rene Jacobs opera recordings.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #7224 on: June 01, 2021, 06:08:02 PM »
Is this box set a good bargain? It's 20 CDs recorded by violinist Benjamin Schmid for Oehms, for $35. I've never heard of the violinist and don't know if this is any good. ClassicsToday has a review of a single disc of Beethoven sonatas which says he sometimes has a raw edgy tone.

Any experience with the fella?

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
  • Sergey Ivanovich Taneyev (1856-1915)
« Reply #7225 on: June 02, 2021, 02:13:40 AM »
Is this box set a good bargain? It's 20 CDs recorded by violinist Benjamin Schmid for Oehms, for $35. I've never heard of the violinist and don't know if this is any good. ClassicsToday has a review of a single disc of Beethoven sonatas which says he sometimes has a raw edgy tone.

I heard him perform the Korngold concerto in concert a few years ago. I thought he was excellent.

Offline Roasted Swan

• Veteran member
« Reply #7226 on: June 02, 2021, 03:12:17 AM »
I heard him perform the Korngold concerto in concert a few years ago. I thought he was excellent.

His live recording of the Korngold in Vienna with Seiji Ozawa is very very good indeed

« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 07:36:42 AM by Que »

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #7227 on: June 02, 2021, 04:33:50 AM »

Schmid is my favourite violinist along with Ehnes.

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
« Reply #7228 on: June 02, 2021, 05:06:07 AM »
Schmid is my favourite violinist along with Ehnes.

That is high praise!!  :)  Like I have mentioned, I have only heard him in a live performance for the Korngold concerto.  He has recorded multiple times with the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra's current music director, Daniel Raiskin.  They seem to have a long standing relationship, thus, I can expect him to make more appearances with the WSO.  :)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Harrowing cries across a war-torn landscape
« Reply #7229 on: June 02, 2021, 12:00:56 PM »
That is high praise!!  :)  Like I have mentioned, I have only heard him in a live performance for the Korngold concerto.  He has recorded multiple times with the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra's current music director, Daniel Raiskin.  They seem to have a long standing relationship, thus, I can expect him to make more appearances with the WSO.  :)

High praise, indeed. I’ve never seen Andre talk about Benjamin Schmid on this forum.
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Roasted Swan

• Veteran member
« Reply #7230 on: June 03, 2021, 11:04:45 PM »

Raiskin's Shostakovich No.4 is superb - that sounds like an exciting creative partnership - lucky Winnipeg!

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
« Reply #7231 on: June 04, 2021, 10:03:16 AM »
Raiskin's Shostakovich No.4 is superb - that sounds like an exciting creative partnership - lucky Winnipeg!

I'm very happy you enjoy the Raiskin Shostakovich 4th as much as I do.  I will try and get him to sign my CD at one of the next upcoming concerts in the new 21/22 season.  :)

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #7232 on: June 04, 2021, 10:44:08 AM »
High praise, indeed. I’ve never seen Andre talk about Benjamin Schmid on this forum.

I won’t hold that against you, John !  :D