Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 2952107 times)

The new erato and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #28540 on: Today at 03:25:49 PM »

Download from Presto.  First listen to this Järvi recording.  On the swift side going by overall timing of 69 minutes.  Of the recordings I have only Jansons is faster.

Offline Alek Hidell

• Currently Listening to:
    Jazz and classical
« Reply #28541 on: Today at 04:15:16 PM »
Haven't bought much music at all in a long time, because I have such a backlog of stuff to listen to already. But this was only $25 on Discogs:

Not bad for five CDs (especially from Wergo, which tends to be an expensive label).
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #28542 on: Today at 04:40:36 PM »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Gustav Mahler (1860 - 1911)
    Entartete Musik
« Reply #28543 on: Today at 05:22:33 PM »
Haven't bought much music at all in a long time, because I have such a backlog of stuff to listen to already. But this was only $25 on Discogs:

Not bad for five CDs (especially from Wergo, which tends to be an expensive label).

I bought this set when it came out and I still have yet to listen to any of it. :-[ I also own this set, which, again, I have yet to listen to:

I bought both of these sets as the member San Antone is (was?) a huge John Cage fan and his posts about the composer got me curious about him. Looks like the curiosity I had fizzled out rather quickly. :P
Don’t forget your four A’s, folks: Alex, Arnie, Alban and Anton

Offline T. D.

• Veteran member
« Reply #28544 on: Today at 05:35:39 PM »

This was a marginal purchase, but I went for it because a discogs seller offered it at a silly low price.
As often happens, the seller pled "out of stock" and canceled/refunded the order, presumably because they (importcds*, under the alias "popmarket") realized it was a pricing error. :(

*I recognized the entity name "DirectToU, LLC" from the Paypal receipt.

Offline T. D.

• Veteran member
« Reply #28545 on: Today at 05:44:35 PM »
...[ I also own this set, which, again, I have yet to listen to:

I bought both of these sets as the member San Antone is (was?) a huge John Cage fan and his posts about the composer got me curious about him. Looks like the curiosity I had fizzled out rather quickly. :P

I bought that set last year when I was on a "number pieces" binge. It was also recommended by another GMG member, and I own some impressive Feldman recordings by the Barton Workshop.
But I didn't like it as much as expected; I think (as far as I can say where Cage is concerned  ;) ) it was the performances, as I have and prefer other recordings of some pieces in the box set.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Gustav Mahler (1860 - 1911)
    Entartete Musik
« Reply #28546 on: Today at 05:54:37 PM »
I bought that set last year when I was on a "number pieces" binge. It was also recommended by another GMG member, and I own some impressive Feldman recordings by the Barton Workshop.
But I didn't like it as much as expected; I think (as far as I can say where Cage is concerned  ;) ) it was the performances, as I have and prefer other recordings of some pieces in the box set.

Very nice, but my problem is with the composer’s music. I can tolerate some those shorter Feldman pieces (with the bold exception of those incredibly long ones like the ones that basically feel like they’re going on for an eternity), but I just find Cage ho-hum in general. It seems like his music doesn’t entice me as I thought it would. His own musical philosophy, however, is a rather interesting one.
Don’t forget your four A’s, folks: Alex, Arnie, Alban and Anton