What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

More fine English late-Romanticism:

Elgar: In the South

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

steve ridgway

Messiaen: La Fauvette Des Jardins

Bachtoven

Audio: B&W 803D3, SVS Ultra 13, McIntosh MA9000, Mark Levinson No.5101, Roon Nucleus Plus, Denafrips Venus II, VPI Prime Signature, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Focal Stellia, Sennheiser HD800S

Que

This recording has been around for a while, but I avoided Franco-Flemish repertoire by the Orlando Consort.
Despite the raving reviews: this is a pretty good recording but doesn't give me the wow factor.  The countertenor is a "prominent" issue here, not an ugly voice at all but dominating and sticking out like a sore thumb. And I don't say this often, but the tempi are - particularly in the songs - too fast: they are churned out in an almost mechanical way with little feel for the texts. Those who have heard the Blue Heron recordings of the songs by Johannes Ockeghem, Busnois' contemporary, know what I'm looking for. The mass fares best of all.

AnotherSpin

Que

Domenico Cerasani did a wonderful recording with lute music by Francis Cutting. And I am actually eagerly waiting for the appearance streaming of his new recording dedicated to Giovanni Maria da Crema. That hasn't happened yet... but I came accross this recording of the Raimondo manuscript:

Pietro Paolo Raimondo was a nobleman of Como and a musician of accomplishment who began in 1601 to compile a manuscript of pieces that came his way. He probably copied them out – or had them copied – for the purpose of playing them himself, but the manuscript now provides a significant record of pieces that would otherwise be lost, many of them by authors now unknown to us. Among the 69 pieces there are anonymously authored dances but also fantasias by Francesco da Milano and Lorenzino del Liuto, and intabulations of vocal works such as the famous Vestiva i colli and Susanne une jour.

As can be expected the quality of the music varies. Sensitive playing.

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 11, 2024, 07:59:05 PMQuite marvellous English late-Romanticism. Grey Galloway and The Demon Lover contain splendid music, whilst Coronach is mildly less engrossing.

Totally agree Cesar - I think very highly of 'Grey Galloway'. There's another fine Chandos CD featuring the Solway Symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Linz on May 10, 2024, 02:20:09 PMCarl Nielsen Symphony No. 5, Op. 50, Rafael Kubelik, Danish Radio Symphony Orchestra
Sibelius Luonnotar, op.70 (Gwyneth Jones- soprano),  Night-ride and Sunrise, op.55 and The Oceanides, op.73 Antal Dorati London Symphony Orchestra

That's a fine recording of Nielsen'S 5th Symphony and my favourite version of Luonnotar.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).